2009 Volkswagen GTI

Based on 196 Ratings for the 2006 - 2009 models.

A great car

By on Saturday, August 29, 2009

"very fast and fun to drive i love the sound of the turbo"

best GTI since the MK1

By on Tuesday, November 20, 2007

"only one word to explain this car once you get into it, " WOW!!!! ". i've owned my GTI since April of 07' and I truly enjoy this car and all the miles that I have put on it ( 13500 to be exact ). the aggressive styling, 18 inch rims, & ya gotta have the sunroof in the California sunshine, are just the right perks that give the GTI some its character. I'm so glad that VW went back to the roots of the car for the mark v platform because it really lets the driver enjoy the aspect of buying a car in the first place; driving. the accessories are easy to operate & dont disturb the drivers concentration from the road, ride is great especially up hills and windy roads, the seats look great as well as perform while your winding up the road by keeping you in them, and I gotta tell ya I get looks from mark iv GTI's, especially when they see that mine is the 4-door model. it really is sporty even having the 2 extra doors. storage room is perfect for my needs and I'm pretty active with sports. It carries all the equipment I need and then some. but the power plant of this car is impressive with the 2.0 liter fsi turbocharged engine. the engine gives me power all the way through the power band at low speeds and pulling to 100 mph or more is just effortless. along with that engine I opted for the DSG auto. it is AWESOME MAN! i could talk about this car all night long. it truly is a great car & I recommend it to anyone that wants a great car with german styling, pizzazz, and a maturity that is isnt found a lot in cars under a 25k price tag. if you want german engineering without a BMW price tag, this car delivers."

quick!

By on Thursday, August 30, 2007

"i had mine now for 7 months, i have been at the service dept. 4 times including 5K service. fuel pump relay went out @ 2500 miles, it took them 2 days to fix, multifunction display went out at around 5200 miles, i had to bring it back to shop twice, since dealership screwed up order of the part, i had radio issues too, radio fluctuates in volumen and gets distorted, panasonic radio needed software update. gladly it's just minor bugs and glitches but it is definetively a hassle and my precious time wasted waiting for the car to be fix, and hours if not days without my car. The car is awesome and fun to drive, very fast, quick and grips to the road on tight turns, excellent handling! i'll do another review @ 12 months."

Great car for the value - German quality!

By on Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Pros: "Great quality, great performance on and off track"

Cons: "A little small for tall people like me"

"I've had this car for about a year - very impressed. The car might have a few miles on it, but it doesn't matter. Runs almost like the new ones I test drove. The MKIV (early 2006 in my case, the late 2006 models are MKV's) model is the best looking design in my opinion, and the 1.8 turbo engine is much better than the 2.0 turbo as well. Has nearly the same power, but much better fuel economy. If you're interested in a GTI I strongly recommend this year. Performance and handling are excellent, the care in building the car is excellent - nothing will fall apart on you like in many other imports from other countries. I would recommend upgrading the stereo deck though - I have a Kenwood DVD deck in mine with Bluetooth and navigation - basically the same type of system that the newer models come with. Only downfall is the pricing - many dealerships want around $12000 for this car - I was lucky and found one at a dealership for $8000."

Everything you'll ever need from a car...

By on Saturday, March 9, 2013

Pros: "Not the best in any, but up top in every category"

"Have been driving for ~6 years, and this is an amazing car. Very sporty yet comfortable, very nicely designed interior and exterior, looks small yet very spacious and practical. Recommended for everyone. I've driven much more expensive cars, and this car does 95% of what they do for half the price!"

Fantastic mountain carver

By on Thursday, March 29, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, efficient on fuel"

Cons: "Could have more factory horsepower, FWD"

"This is a fantastic little car to own and drive. German engineering and quality. Interior is on par with Audi. Makes me happy everytime I get behind the wheel. Great engine with more potential with a tune. Steering feel is tight, linear and very good at communicating the road. Both options for transmissions are fantastic. Try the DSG automatic if you get the chance. 6-Speed manual is top notch also."

Fun car to drive if not a little problematic

By on Monday, August 22, 2011

"I bought my GTI as a year old, 100 miles on the ODO, showroom model. At 25,000 miles, it required a new engine, as the ceramic cylinder walls had burned up and luckily it was under warranty. It would have been 14K out of my pocket if not. Other than that and the fact it does us a lot of oil (local dealership gave me a pamphlet that stated it is normal to "use" a quart of oil every 1200 miles) it is a very fun car to drive. Handles like a roller coaster, even with cheap all season tires."

50,000 and still love it!

By on Thursday, January 6, 2011

"I just rolled 50,000 in my 2008 GTI. I've only visited the dealer once outside of regular maintenance visits. This was to repair a piece of door trim that was vibrating from the bass pumped out by the sound system. If I have one complaint it is with the TSI engine that gobbles up oil. This causes no problems outside of needing to keep oil on hand to top it off every 1,000 miles or so. Great car! Great ride!"

Da Da Dub

By on Sunday, February 8, 2009

"I really enjoy the Dub!!!!!!! Very solid on the road, good gas mileage, all the creature features one can appreciate. Gas milage is very good, feel and handling are top of the class. I have the DSG and have notice some lag in the transmission. Can try to stall if on an incline in forward or reverse. Hence the neame da,da, dub. But when it catches it will fly. I use the V-dub as a highway car - mainly used for long commutes and it is a pleasure."

2006.5 GTI Package 2

By on Monday, October 27, 2008

"Great car! So far with 31,000 miles, none of the old vw problems have come up. Only major issue was that my A/C system failed on me at 14,000 miles, but it was a common problem on the earlier 2.0T engines (both mkv platform and pq46 platform) and the entire system was replaced under warranty. For a FWD car, it's plenty powerful, definitely the best FWD VW right out of the box since the corrado. I can't wait to buy a diesel MkVI golf for a second car!"