2007 Volkswagen GTI

Based on 196 Ratings for the 2006 - 2009 models.

A great car

By on Saturday, August 29, 2009

"very fast and fun to drive i love the sound of the turbo"

quick!

By on Thursday, August 30, 2007

"i had mine now for 7 months, i have been at the service dept. 4 times including 5K service. fuel pump relay went out @ 2500 miles, it took them 2 days to fix, multifunction display went out at around 5200 miles, i had to bring it back to shop twice, since dealership screwed up order of the part, i had radio issues too, radio fluctuates in volumen and gets distorted, panasonic radio needed software update. gladly it's just minor bugs and glitches but it is definetively a hassle and my precious time wasted waiting for the car to be fix, and hours if not days without my car. The car is awesome and fun to drive, very fast, quick and grips to the road on tight turns, excellent handling! i'll do another review @ 12 months."

Everything you'll ever need from a car...

By on Saturday, March 9, 2013

Pros: "Not the best in any, but up top in every category"

"Have been driving for ~6 years, and this is an amazing car. Very sporty yet comfortable, very nicely designed interior and exterior, looks small yet very spacious and practical. Recommended for everyone. I've driven much more expensive cars, and this car does 95% of what they do for half the price!"

Great car for the value - German quality!

By on Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Pros: "Great quality, great performance on and off track"

Cons: "A little small for tall people like me"

"I've had this car for about a year - very impressed. The car might have a few miles on it, but it doesn't matter. Runs almost like the new ones I test drove. The MKIV (early 2006 in my case, the late 2006 models are MKV's) model is the best looking design in my opinion, and the 1.8 turbo engine is much better than the 2.0 turbo as well. Has nearly the same power, but much better fuel economy. If you're interested in a GTI I strongly recommend this year. Performance and handling are excellent, the care in building the car is excellent - nothing will fall apart on you like in many other imports from other countries. I would recommend upgrading the stereo deck though - I have a Kenwood DVD deck in mine with Bluetooth and navigation - basically the same type of system that the newer models come with. Only downfall is the pricing - many dealerships want around $12000 for this car - I was lucky and found one at a dealership for $8000."

Fantastic mountain carver

By on Thursday, March 29, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, efficient on fuel"

Cons: "Could have more factory horsepower, FWD"

"This is a fantastic little car to own and drive. German engineering and quality. Interior is on par with Audi. Makes me happy everytime I get behind the wheel. Great engine with more potential with a tune. Steering feel is tight, linear and very good at communicating the road. Both options for transmissions are fantastic. Try the DSG automatic if you get the chance. 6-Speed manual is top notch also."

Fun car to drive if not a little problematic

By on Monday, August 22, 2011

"I bought my GTI as a year old, 100 miles on the ODO, showroom model. At 25,000 miles, it required a new engine, as the ceramic cylinder walls had burned up and luckily it was under warranty. It would have been 14K out of my pocket if not. Other than that and the fact it does us a lot of oil (local dealership gave me a pamphlet that stated it is normal to "use" a quart of oil every 1200 miles) it is a very fun car to drive. Handles like a roller coaster, even with cheap all season tires."

50,000 and still love it!

By on Thursday, January 6, 2011

"I just rolled 50,000 in my 2008 GTI. I've only visited the dealer once outside of regular maintenance visits. This was to repair a piece of door trim that was vibrating from the bass pumped out by the sound system. If I have one complaint it is with the TSI engine that gobbles up oil. This causes no problems outside of needing to keep oil on hand to top it off every 1,000 miles or so. Great car! Great ride!"

Da Da Dub

By on Sunday, February 8, 2009

"I really enjoy the Dub!!!!!!! Very solid on the road, good gas mileage, all the creature features one can appreciate. Gas milage is very good, feel and handling are top of the class. I have the DSG and have notice some lag in the transmission. Can try to stall if on an incline in forward or reverse. Hence the neame da,da, dub. But when it catches it will fly. I use the V-dub as a highway car - mainly used for long commutes and it is a pleasure."

2006.5 GTI Package 2

By on Monday, October 27, 2008

"Great car! So far with 31,000 miles, none of the old vw problems have come up. Only major issue was that my A/C system failed on me at 14,000 miles, but it was a common problem on the earlier 2.0T engines (both mkv platform and pq46 platform) and the entire system was replaced under warranty. For a FWD car, it's plenty powerful, definitely the best FWD VW right out of the box since the corrado. I can't wait to buy a diesel MkVI golf for a second car!"

Best value for the money

By on Friday, May 16, 2008

"This car just wants to go. With the DSG this car will take most 300 horse power cars off the line. The ability of the car to get out of tight situations is amazing. It is quick, nimble and seems to be happiest when push hard. The 2.0 turbo engine is awesome. The GTI is solid and crafted like a true german sports car. Drive a SI and then drive a GTI. You will feel and see the difference between both cars. The GTI hands down is the better made and faster of the two. The 200 horsepower is efficent and when driven with DSG is a blast. People love to look and comment on this car. VW owners are very loyal and are always quick to give other GTI owners the V sign to acknowledge each other. For $25K the bang for your buck is unmatched. The up keep on the car can be expensive due to synthetic oil and having to use premium grade gas. The computer has to be reset every 10,000 miles but ensures that the car is serviced regularly to keep it in fine tuned lighting quick condition. Treat yourself to a test drive and you will be hooked."

Best Value For Sporty, Daily Driver

By on Saturday, November 17, 2007

"Sleek, Sporty, Spirited, Roomy, Comfortable, Stylish, Innovative, Adaptable, Unique. All of those words describe the GTi very accurately. If you're looking at GTi's, then you obviously need a car that is spacious, possibly four doors, with an upscale interior, and yet you still want it to handle great, drive strong, be comfortable, and affordable! Is this even possible? Yes. You're in luck, since you are exactly the person the GTi was designed for. With very aggressive looks, spacious rear hatch, a great German interior, sport tuned suspension, and an award winning engine; the GTi gets the job done with finesse. Are there cars in this segment with more power? Sure, but they sacrifice alot of the amenities that make the GTi so nice. If you browse the list of nice standard equipment, from HID's, to the "comfort blinker", to the overhead red light leds for visibility in the dark, to the MFD data screen, down to the middle cup holder that holds red bull sized cans, it's the amenities we expect and the little touches of ingenuity we don't that give VW's so much character. If your craving for more power can't be quenched, there is a very large after market scene for VW's. Anywhere from an engine reflash (how does ~50 more horsepower/ ~90 more torque sound?) to the basic exhaust or intake upgrades. Need to be unique? Buy a limited edition Fahrenheit edition or choose from the vast assortment of aftermarket wheels, side mirrors, trim pieces, etc. Don't worry though, the GTi looks just fantastic the way it is too. I've already put 45k miles on mine since buying it in early 2006 and I've enjoyed every mile. VW reliability has increased dramatically since early 2000 and the only issue I have to report is an airbag light which was covered under warranty. In and out the same day. I get alot of compliments on the plaid interior and how spacious the rear seat is for a 2 seater (4 door IS available for the first time in the US!) In the end, just test drive the car, it will put your mind at ease and you have nothing to lose!"

Hot Hatch

By on Monday, June 25, 2007

"Excelent vehicle. there is torque all over the rpm range. The DSG Trans is soo responsive. The car will take any turn you throw at it. the turbo lag is almost negligable. the seats hold you in place well while still being comfortable. Costs more than the competition, but worth every penny"

Great CAR!!

By on Monday, April 30, 2007

"I've been driving for over 30yrs. amateur racing for 20yrs. However, in the past decade or so the cars I've owned were better suited for work or economy. The VW GTI 2.0T brought back the joy of driving again! What a fun car! Do yourself a favor if you're looking for a new--nearly new "sport-hatch", test drive the new VW GTI 2.0T. It WILL make your list."

solid, drives well, somewhat expensive to maintain

By on Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Pros: "dependable, solid and tight, fun to drive"

Cons: "cost of maintenance"

"This has been a great car but there were some hidden costs of owning it. Tires are more expensive than, say, for a Nissan Sentra, and replacing headlights and the air filter (you have to pop the top off the engine compartment, easier said than done) is more complicated and expensive. That said, VW's warranty and recalls (there have been two) have served me very well, the car is absolutely dependable and handles well. I would buy it again."

Will keep this car until the wheels fall off

By on Monday, April 2, 2012

Pros: "Fun n fast"

"Great car, fun to drive, pretty good on gas but need the premium. Since we have snow purchased Bridgestone Blizzak snow tires that are AWEsome."

Love it

By on Saturday, March 24, 2012

"Love it...the poswer is wonderful. I live in the mountains and it makes the driving through the switchbacks easy"

I LOVE my car

By on Monday, November 14, 2011

Pros: "Zippy, responsive engine and wonderful handling"

Cons: "Suspension is a bit tight making bumpy roads rough"

"Out of all the smaller cars I've driven, I love this the most. I love the sporty feel I get driving down the road. Granted, the suspension could be a little smoother when it comes to bumps on the highway, but I'm ok at where it's at. The turning radius and how easy it is to parallel park this car make it great for everything from weekend drives, to a daily driver, to getting groceries. Yes, the hatchback can hold a ton, even with the seats still up."

Most fun driving stock car ever driven

By on Thursday, November 10, 2011

Pros: "Price, Fun Factor, Practicality"

Cons: "Seats"

"This car from test drive throughout purchase and 66k miles remains to be the single most FUN stock car I have ever driven. It begs to be driven aggressively. It just seems to want to be pushed and pushed. On the track it has no apparent flaws short of the annoying TC system."

Best ever

By on Monday, October 18, 2010

"I have had American vehicles, but the German vehicle is the best. In 2 years I have had only normal maintenance. Steering, suspension and pep is great. I can not find anything wrong."

Jack of all trades

By on Wednesday, April 28, 2010

"This car has 90% of the practicality of an SUV, 90% of the performance of a sports car, and 90% of the joys of a luxury vehicle. I love it and I doubt that I'll ever buy anything much different in the future. The concept has amazing value and I love the car."

The Secrets Out

By on Thursday, February 25, 2010

"I bought my '07 6spd 4dr GTI as a Bank repo with 53,000 miles 8 months ago, and there was some negligence by the previous owner. However this is the best VW i have owned, period. It has a roomy interior, a sweet stereo, and the best steering wheel size/shape that makes driving it very comfortable. The car is quick in any scenario and responds well in the curves. The feel is solid and the engine sounds tight and precise. For oil changes buy Mobile 1 synthetic oil in 5 gallon quart at Walmart for only $26 bucks and do it yourself or provide to shop for better deal. You must use synthetic as this extends the life of the turbo since the oil also lubes the turbo by way of design. APR is the ECU chip upgrade of choice and VW AG subcontracts them to do upgrade concept cars, so you know it's a safe and reasonably affordable hp return that you can turn on and off when needed. I drive moderately aggresive in town and lots on the highway as well (40,000 miles a year) and so far I average 28 mpg (don't go by the on board comp averages). If you live in a hot summer climate, you will experience turbo lag, but it is not as noticeable as the 1.8t engine in models prior. This GTI gives the A4 a run for it's money, I only wish the car had the Audi Quattro All Wheel system, but it still does well. This car lives up to it's title, "Automobile of the Year" and I will drive it until it explodes!"

Bang 4 the Buck!

By on Monday, January 4, 2010

"I've had 4 GTI's since 2000. Two VR-6 six cylinder models and two 2.0 Turbo models. I currently drive a 2009 GTI. I had problems with the 2000 model as it was built in Brazil (so was the 2003). However, VW fixed all issues under warranty. The 2007 and my current 2009 have been and are trouble free. They get great gas mileage and are a blast to drive. I'm single with no kids and the hatchback is all the utility I need for most jobs. I just finished a 2700 mile trip from Texas to Arizona and back to Texas with no problems whatsoever. My cumulative gas mileage was: 29.1. And I drive it hard in west Texas close to 100 mph. The only negative is depreciation. The car looses value rapidly in the first two years. And even VW doesn't give much of a trade allowance for them as used cars. So, don't pay MSRP or you will not be happy. Otherwise, drive 'em like you stole 'em; they are fun to drive!"

09 GTI rocks

By on Friday, March 6, 2009

"I am writing for the 09 gti, manual trasnmission. The car is amazing, it handles better than higher end cars, it pulls like a beast on the freeway as long as I'm in the right gear. The engine purs, and it is just plain funny to see some honda civic SI go by making about 3 times more noise doing speeds around 60-70 mph. I do plan on adding a chip to this vehicle, to get the extra 50 hp. I've pushed this car stock up to 120 mph a couple of times and it was smooth sailing both times. With a manual you can down shift, and with the sporty brakes, i can stop on a dime. Even if I do feel like gunning it every now and then, I still average around 30+ mpg, from short destinations to long ones. It has a built in ipod connector, with a 6 disc mp3 cd player. Anyone who complains about the sounds system because it doesn't get loud enough needs to research something called an amp...You have to pay to get the systems that bumb, and this system is more than capable of it with some woofers and an amp installed. Otherwise the sounds system is great and won't blow out your ear drums. On a final note, I took this thing up to big bear the other weekend up some mountain roads, and I'd say the drive up was almost as fun as snowboarding :)."

So Far So Great!

By on Wednesday, March 4, 2009

"I've had my GTI through summer and winter here in Cincinnati. It hugs corners like it's on rails. In the winter, the snow gives me few worries. The traction control works like a dream and I pass everyone that's stuck off the side of the road. Gas mileage is great. I can get in the high 30's when I drive sensibly. That makes me not feel so guilty when I open it up and take it on some windy back roads. The curves are where the GTI shows its true colors! It's great fun AND it's practical! I have two kids and the 4-door GTI is great."

Nice, Real nice, too bad you can't get it service.

By on Monday, January 19, 2009

"Great car, only 2 problems, first is the stereo, when you turn it up to the max volume, the volume actually goes down, and second is the fact that it can only be serviced except for oil changes, by a VW dealer, thats sad since I live an hour or more away from them. Gotta get the timing belt chagned by 60,000 miles or it breaks, and the Catalatic Converter acts up about that time too."