2006 Volkswagen GTI

Based on 196 Ratings for the 2006 - 2009 models.

best car ever

By on Tuesday, January 6, 2009

"I have driven my GTI 60000 miles in 18 months. Not one issue with ANYTHING!"

fundamentally amazing german engineering

By on Wednesday, October 22, 2008

"i have had my gti for over a year. i smile everytime i get in and out of it. it is a flexible everyday driver, and a weekend rocket. the engine is a work of art, the powerband flows like poetry. the exhaust note is spot on. mod wise.. 600bucks will give u 50hp and 60lb/tq (chipping) the way i like to summarize the vehicle is i have no problem pulling up to a 5 star hotel and getting out. at the same time i dont have a problem throwing the back seats down and letting my dog ride back there. price/ride/performance...there is nothin better."

Best little car I ever had

By on Friday, September 12, 2008

"I've had my '07 GTI for two years in Dec. Such fun to drive and a beaut to look at. Enjoy every moment driving it. Only issue is the noise from the low profile tires and they wear poorly. Was told by VW they have that problem with the GTI. But, all in all well worth it!"

Car Guy

By on Thursday, July 17, 2008

"Really love this car. Was going to buy a Corolla, but it lacked the "FUN FACTOR". I'm usually a manuel driver. I drove the DSG transmission and was convinced that was what I wanted. Sooooooooo much fun drive. The performance is really great. Plus since my 08 has 4-doors, it's really a fun family car when it needs to be, or my pocket rocket when I'm alone. Good job VW!!!!"

Love It

By on Thursday, June 5, 2008

"This '07 GTI is my 3rd VW and I have to say its one of the best. I love the 4 door + hatch. It has almost as much cargo room as my wife CR-V and will leave most cars this size in its dust. 115 mph feels just like 65 with room for acceleration. I would give this car all 5 Stars but I did have to take it in to get a sensor replaced under warranty. My advice is if your looking for a car in this class no better choice could be made."

Buying my Second.

By on Tuesday, June 3, 2008

"I had a 07 GTi that was totaled in a accident. The car held up exactly like it should the passenger compartment was solid and noone was hurt. Today I will purchasing a 08 GTi just in a different color. Car is fun to drive and has many extras included. Can't wait to break another one in."

yaaaa

By on Friday, May 30, 2008

"I love this car. I owned a honda accord, nissan maxima, and a chevy extreme. I wanted a compact car for school since i commute 40 miles every three days per week. I love the style of the car, and the performance... i also recently raced my friends civic si which was stock and my car won. im pretty much happy with my car"

great pocket rocket

By on Wednesday, April 23, 2008

"purchased in 2006. have 19,000 miles & avg. 28.4 mpg. my best on a trip was 32.7 mpg. this little hatch back does it all--can put my bicycle in the back without taking off the front wheel. i also carry two kayaks on top. purched the special vw wheel package ( summer tires )--and it makes a different. not a cheap car--but ya get what ya pay for."

Excellent daily driver

By on Saturday, March 1, 2008

"14700 miles in 9 months. I use it as a daily driver in the NYC metro area. Incredibly fun to drive with only a Revo stage-1 with stock everything. Estimated 250HP and 285 lb. ft. torque. Definitely felt the power difference. Excellent on gas averaging 23 city and 34 hwy. Fun, fast, economical and amazing utility."

Great versatile car

By on Monday, February 25, 2008

"This is the best blend of performance, comfort, style, and versatility I have ever driven. The value is unbelievable. You get so much for the money. You get a lot of stuff that other manufacturers charge for (Xeon headlights, active steering, satellite radio, etc.) You can smoke just about anyone and still pick up an entire room at IKEA! I absolutely love this car and would recommend it to anyone hands down."

Watta Ride!

By on Thursday, October 11, 2007

"Best ride ever from VW. Ultra quick response and a very kewl Lamborghini orange color w/black leather interior. Great collector car!!!"

Great gas mileage, great power

By on Wednesday, September 19, 2007

"I get 24 MPG (mixed city/highway) in my GTI. Loving the 200 HP/207 ft-lb torque engine and 6-speed manual. Interior is roomy and seats are comfortable. My last car, a 2004 RX-8, was a gas hog that got just under 16 MPG and offered a lot less torque (159@5500RPM vs. the GTI's 207@1800RPM). Interior was cramped, seats were firm to hard, no spare tire. Sure it looks way sexy and sportier than a GTI (which isn't exactly frumpy itself) but looks were deceiving. I have yet to see another car with as much power as the GTI (200HP or more with torque to match) in the under-30K price range that gets 24 MPG. The secret must be the turbo, why isn't it a standard feature on every car?!"

Best GTI yet

By on Thursday, September 13, 2007

"Have had the car two weeks and I can't stop wanting to go for a drive. My commute to work is only 2.5 miles but now I am wishing it was longer. Great power and handling. The ride on the highway is smooth with plenty of power to pass. one minor issue that i have already though is the tpms system is detecting a low tire. Check them all myself and all are ok. Have to take it to the dealer so they can reset the tpms system."

WOW WoviWow

By on Thursday, July 12, 2007

"Simplye the best GTI ever built. Totally satisfying and absolutely amazing. Got buy it, you wont regret it"

By on Saturday, April 28, 2007

Still enjoying my GTI

By on Thursday, June 19, 2008

"I purchased a new 2007 GTI May of last year, and I still love it. Hands down, its been one of the best cars I've had the opportunity to drive. My background, as i've had quite a few cars to base my review upon. Current car: GTI 2007 DSG Old Cars (in order of ownership): VW Jetta 2003 WE Honda Prelude 1999 Infiniti I30 1996 Ford Thunderbird 1994 Nissan Pathfinder 1987 Jack of all trades: master of none... To keep my review concise, I'm going to use a reversal of the Ratings used by KBB: Starting from bottom: Comfort: Supportive sport seats, nicely bolstered and has enough leg room to even fit my frame (6'2") - I do however have difficulty sitting in the back seats for an extended period of time, but this isnt bound to happen much. Some features that were on previous model years (MY) have been deleted in recent MYs. (soft touch controls, headlight washer nozzles, and a few other misc. items) But the comfort factor is still high. 5/5. Styling: Its a love it or hate it Bubble behind. I personally like it, but I've heard it called fat, or described as a "shoe". I personally like the styling and subtle functional design (ie the indicator lamps built into the left and right side mirrors). I gave it 4 stars just because there is a few quirks that I find annoying. (I have trouble with blind spots due to the rake of the car's windows). 4/5 Performance: Wow. Flat out Wow. Very peppy 2 Liter engine with a Turbo. Almost no turbo lag, and the DSG automatic is the second quickest shifting auto I've driven (the first being the new Evo from Mitsubishi). I've been very happy with the GTI and (knock on wood...) no speeding tickets! Quality: Seems like a much more expensive car that it is. I drove a G6 (similarly equipped - at least price wise...) around for a while and I seemed to find cheap materials everywhere. This VW has some of that, but its all relatively tastefully done. The psuedo-rubber dash is pleasing to the touch and the brushed aluminum is nice even if its really just plastic. No real wobbly bits on this car; altho I have heard some owners complain of a phantom rattle in the front right quarter panel. I have yet to experience this. I gave 5/5. Reliability: Electrical issues plagued my old VW Jetta. These seem to have been fixed in the GTI, but I did have some minor work done (reflashing the software and retuned my MFG). More of an annoyance - all fixed under warranty. We'll see if this continues into future ownership of the GTI. 4/5 for annoyance sake >.< Value: Low end of the price range is very attractive. High end begins to spiral out of control and lands in the middle of A3 and cheap BMW pricing. The R32 edition is amazing, but I'm not sure that I would spend that much as it is still a VW :p 4/5 Overall: I love this car. Its become my favorite of all my rides. And along with it, there is a silent following - websites dedicated to all forms of VWs and GTIs. The best moments are when you are at a light and see another VW, and get a little wave. So if you get one, I'll toss you a V. :) 5/5"

Old School VW owner

By on Monday, June 2, 2008

"Can I give it 6 stars??? My first GTI (1984) was the best VW I ever owned until I bought my 2006 GTI. I had a few cars in between but this car is undervalued as a used vehicle but rather pricey when you buy new. I drove the Mini and my GTI would smoke it in every aspect! VW is finally back on track with great cars. I love my GTI and hope to get more than 200k miles like my old one."

LOVE THIS CAR

By on Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Pros: "Fun to Drive, super fast, great reliability"

Cons: "gas mileage is not what you'd expect"

"I'VE OWNED THIS CAR SINCE NEW. HAD SOME MINOR ISSUES IN TEH BEGINNING THAT THE DEALER FIXED UNDER WARRANTY AND ONE BIGGER ISSUE WITH THE FUEL SYSTEM AT 90K MILES THAT AGAIN THE DEALER FIXED UNDER A SERVICE BULLETIN. FOR A CAR WITH 111000 MILES, I HAVE NEVER REPLACED THE FRONT BRAKES, ONLY REPLACED THE REAR BRAKES ONCE AND I DO DRIVE IT PRETTY HARD. I just had all brakes checked at last tire rotation and I am still in great shape with them. I do regular service intervals now myself or with a independent mechanic I have found. I will likely keep it for at least another two to three years"

Ho-Hum...

By on Thursday, May 22, 2008

"I had two GTIs in Europe before moving to the US (back in the 80s, the old 8 valve, 1781 cc motor) - had a lot of fun with them. Had a WRX before this car - great car, but heavy on gas. I wanted to get better consumption, so bought the Mk V GTI with DSG and the Autobahn package. It has many great points - sweet, powerful engine, better consumption, nice comfortable interior, lots of refinement and style...BUT (you knew there had to be a "but") the traction is AWFUL - the slightest amount of water/snow on the road, or even a moderately brisk takeoff, and the front wheels are spinning like aero propellors. Two things happen - you tend to put the power down very C-A-R-E-F-U-L-L-Y, and the front tires wear quickly, even for a front drive car. It really spoils what would otherwise be a great car."

Tires let me down

By on Friday, November 9, 2007

"I traded my Subaru WRX for the GTI. Initially, I loved the GTI. Handling, pep, braking--all were great. At 8000 miles, I started hearing a "wonk,wonk,wonk" noise and was told by the dealership that my tires were wearing unevenly but their alignment machine was down. I ended up replacing and paying for 4 new tires. Now at 20,000 miles the noise has started again. Three dealerships later, I either have to buy new tires or I'll sell the car. If there was a category for service it would be a zero rating. The warranty is a joke."

Love this car BUT...

By on Tuesday, September 4, 2007

"I have had this car barely 2 months, it's the 4th vw we have as of now. It is a great car, but I have had 4 different areas with rattles, have had the stereo replaced and now having multiple issues with the dealership I bought it from (they damaged my car i 5 defferent places) I am to the point where I want a different car, still a GTI, but a different one. I really do love this car, but I must have just received a faulty one."

Most car for the money.

By on Monday, September 3, 2007

"If you manage to stay away from the pricey option packages, the GTI is by far the best value for the money in it's segment. Even without the option packages, you get alot for the money. Xenon headlamps, 6-disc mp3, and VW's astonishing dual clutch DSG transimission is only roughly 1K extra. Premium compact build quality, with amazing fit and finish. The interior is fantastic, and is without compare in its segment. Looks-wise VW has done a fantastic job. Personally I will always prefer a sedan/coupe styling to a hatchbacks, but this is the best looking hatch you can buy. I am however loving the versatility the hatchback style provides. Recently moved into a new apartment, and was pleasantly surprised at how much cargo this baby can haul. All my friends are also impressed by the shear amount of legroom/headroom in the back. And thanks to the short overall length of the vehicle, city parking is a breeze. Only problems thus far was an airbag fault, as well as some cold start issues. Other than that it has been fairly reliable. But man on man, what a blast it is to drive. Among the best FWD cars out there, and the turbo 2.0 is smooth and quick. Love the DSG transmission, definitely a great compromise for those wanting manual performance with automatic livability. Now that I've owned a DSG car, I will never buy another traditional automatic ever again."

5 years and still in love

By on Friday, April 5, 2013

Pros: "Power, handling, looks"

Cons: "seats, noise"

"Motor Trend's "2008 Car Of The Year". Most fun you can have on 4 (or less) wheels. Unbeleivable control. Not lightning fast but have it pointed in the direction you want before gassing it. I no longer have stoplights. They are now go! lights. Very firm ride with the stiff suspension and low profile/38# pressure tires. Seats are a bit uncomfortable and a little road noise. Small annoyances easily ignored with the power and handling. Pulls strong and feels stable at speeds of 100+. Love the style and look. Still get compliments from strangers even after 5 years. Would definately buy another when this one wears out in another decade."

Very well thought out car

By on Friday, January 11, 2008

"Take your pick from performance driving to highway cruising to in town driving the GTI does it all then begs you for more. I average 32mpg on the highway and 26 in the city. THe car is fast comfortable and loaded with amazing german engineering. No one ever mentions the self leveling HID headlights that illuminate the entire road and never blind oncoming drivers. The standard features are plentifull and the option list well thought out. Give it a look it deserves that much. The entire VW line up is well thought out."

Awesome 2008 GTI!!!

By on Friday, March 13, 2009

"I researched and drove almost every vehicle that in this cars class and even some considered to be in higher classes (I now question some of these higher classed cars). This car has all the of the quality you expect from a German car but with half of the price tag. Does great in the North East Ohio snow, comfortable enough and had enough room in it to take a 2500 mile trip with wife, 2 kids, and luggage. Handles like it is glued to the road. The feeling you get from the torque in this car is exhilarating to say the least. I am a Sales Engineer and live in my car (already have 24,000 on it after 1 year), and I have never been so comfortable and had so much fun at the same time. I have had this car to 129mph just under the cut off several times and it handled like a dream and still had power left. I have owned 43 cars in my lifetime and this GTI is by far the best car I have ever owned. I frequently travel on the West VA. turnpike through the mountains and have had many try (BMW's, Audi's, TransAm's, Mini's, and a Mazda 3 Speed) but the GTI left them in the dust. The ONLY complaint I have about the car is the bluetooth set up or lack there of from the factory. I added an aftermarket Parrot kit that works great through the stereo but I had to dis-assemble the dash to do it. Other than that I can not say enough positive about it. This will not be my last GTI."