2006 Volkswagen GTI

Based on 196 Ratings for the 2006 - 2009 models.

The Secrets Out

By on Thursday, February 25, 2010

"I bought my '07 6spd 4dr GTI as a Bank repo with 53,000 miles 8 months ago, and there was some negligence by the previous owner. However this is the best VW i have owned, period. It has a roomy interior, a sweet stereo, and the best steering wheel size/shape that makes driving it very comfortable. The car is quick in any scenario and responds well in the curves. The feel is solid and the engine sounds tight and precise. For oil changes buy Mobile 1 synthetic oil in 5 gallon quart at Walmart for only $26 bucks and do it yourself or provide to shop for better deal. You must use synthetic as this extends the life of the turbo since the oil also lubes the turbo by way of design. APR is the ECU chip upgrade of choice and VW AG subcontracts them to do upgrade concept cars, so you know it's a safe and reasonably affordable hp return that you can turn on and off when needed. I drive moderately aggresive in town and lots on the highway as well (40,000 miles a year) and so far I average 28 mpg (don't go by the on board comp averages). If you live in a hot summer climate, you will experience turbo lag, but it is not as noticeable as the 1.8t engine in models prior. This GTI gives the A4 a run for it's money, I only wish the car had the Audi Quattro All Wheel system, but it still does well. This car lives up to it's title, "Automobile of the Year" and I will drive it until it explodes!"

Bang 4 the Buck!

By on Monday, January 4, 2010

"I've had 4 GTI's since 2000. Two VR-6 six cylinder models and two 2.0 Turbo models. I currently drive a 2009 GTI. I had problems with the 2000 model as it was built in Brazil (so was the 2003). However, VW fixed all issues under warranty. The 2007 and my current 2009 have been and are trouble free. They get great gas mileage and are a blast to drive. I'm single with no kids and the hatchback is all the utility I need for most jobs. I just finished a 2700 mile trip from Texas to Arizona and back to Texas with no problems whatsoever. My cumulative gas mileage was: 29.1. And I drive it hard in west Texas close to 100 mph. The only negative is depreciation. The car looses value rapidly in the first two years. And even VW doesn't give much of a trade allowance for them as used cars. So, don't pay MSRP or you will not be happy. Otherwise, drive 'em like you stole 'em; they are fun to drive!"

09 GTI rocks

By on Friday, March 6, 2009

"I am writing for the 09 gti, manual trasnmission. The car is amazing, it handles better than higher end cars, it pulls like a beast on the freeway as long as I'm in the right gear. The engine purs, and it is just plain funny to see some honda civic SI go by making about 3 times more noise doing speeds around 60-70 mph. I do plan on adding a chip to this vehicle, to get the extra 50 hp. I've pushed this car stock up to 120 mph a couple of times and it was smooth sailing both times. With a manual you can down shift, and with the sporty brakes, i can stop on a dime. Even if I do feel like gunning it every now and then, I still average around 30+ mpg, from short destinations to long ones. It has a built in ipod connector, with a 6 disc mp3 cd player. Anyone who complains about the sounds system because it doesn't get loud enough needs to research something called an amp...You have to pay to get the systems that bumb, and this system is more than capable of it with some woofers and an amp installed. Otherwise the sounds system is great and won't blow out your ear drums. On a final note, I took this thing up to big bear the other weekend up some mountain roads, and I'd say the drive up was almost as fun as snowboarding :)."

So Far So Great!

By on Wednesday, March 4, 2009

"I've had my GTI through summer and winter here in Cincinnati. It hugs corners like it's on rails. In the winter, the snow gives me few worries. The traction control works like a dream and I pass everyone that's stuck off the side of the road. Gas mileage is great. I can get in the high 30's when I drive sensibly. That makes me not feel so guilty when I open it up and take it on some windy back roads. The curves are where the GTI shows its true colors! It's great fun AND it's practical! I have two kids and the 4-door GTI is great."

Nice, Real nice, too bad you can't get it service.

By on Monday, January 19, 2009

"Great car, only 2 problems, first is the stereo, when you turn it up to the max volume, the volume actually goes down, and second is the fact that it can only be serviced except for oil changes, by a VW dealer, thats sad since I live an hour or more away from them. Gotta get the timing belt chagned by 60,000 miles or it breaks, and the Catalatic Converter acts up about that time too."

Decent car

By on Saturday, September 27, 2008

"Seats are not that great. But the handling, Performance and styling, somewhat make up for it. At first I felt a little cheated, because Honda and Toyota may offer more car for as much or less money, but now after 3 months I can see why this one is priced a bit higher. Lot of fun to drive, and you really experience the German engineering at much lesser price tag compared to BMW, Benz or an Audi. However, still too early to say how reliable it will be."

Track car fun

By on Monday, April 28, 2008

"This car is the most fun vehicle I have driven. I am an avid VW fan and have owned many older performance based models. I have also owned BMWs and performance wise this one is tops. The ride can be a bit responsive as far as comfort goes, but if every road was a track this thing would be in it's element all the time. Very tunable vehicle with a strong market for performance parts. My only complaint is that the CD changer does not read MP3 format."

Fun, Fun, Fun

By on Wednesday, March 19, 2008

"I am old muscle car guy and never to much into little rockets, but this car is fun. I am stationed in Germany and let me tell you this thing is a rocket on the autobahn. I make BMW and Audi's get over. Handles great at any speed! Good on gas when you are not flying. Even when you do it is not that bad. Very reliable. What can I say... German engineering."

performance car for everyday driving

By on Thursday, February 21, 2008

"micro car with macro space:) very reliable, very stylish in & out side everybody is imprest. even when driving 80mph car still have a great gas mileage.perfect if you live in the city.this car bmw performance & audi comfort ( talking about fully loaded). very,very recomended vehicle!!!!"

Great Fun

By on Monday, November 5, 2007

"Though it is a bit expensive to tune and upgrade, $500+ minimum for anything, it really shows in performance on the street. Great response and top speed, car is really worth the money. I've been driving the car for 15 months and have over 51k miles on it, never went to the mechanic for repairs unless I wanted some tweeking done to increase performance. All previous cars owned could not withstand the mileage,speed,red lining, roasting, cornering and quality driving I've put on this hatchback in the time. 51,000 in 15 months, good luck"