2001 Volkswagen GTI

Based on 269 Ratings for the 1999 - 2005 models.

Big Bust

By on Monday, August 20, 2007

"After hearing about the GTI's performance abilities I decided to purchase one. Loved it at first, but then problems kicked in. Intake manifold had to be replaced at 16,000 miles(four days in the shop), new battery at 22,00 miles, new starter at 34,000, new catalytic converter at 37,500 and the worst...died on me three times with only 61,000 miles. Dealership could not figure out the cause. Three days later got rid of it...I only had it for three years!!!! The car was great when it was running properly, but otherwise a real piece of junk. No more VW for me. It sure left a bad taste in my mouth."

Sporty Ride

By on Wednesday, July 11, 2007

"I bought a GTI 6 months ago because of their street rep and my eye for European styling. The VR6 has plenty of power that easily kicks the tires lose in 1 & 2 gear with a chirp in third, but the stability control system can keep this wheel spin under control. The engine has plenty of torque from 3 to 4 thousand though it revs up a little slow. The six speed transmission is a must. The short gears are great for excellarating! Outside and inside I love the clean lines in the cars design. The interior is well built and comfortable. The leather seats, climate control, and seat warmers gives the car a touch of luxury. The GTI's ride is comfortable and smooth. The GTI has style and speed!"

2003 GTI

By on Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Pros: "Stylish, fun, fast, exciting, good mpgs"

Cons: "All your friends ask to drive your car!!!"

"I love every aspect of this car. Best VW ever made in my opinion."

I LOVE MY GTI!!!

By on Thursday, March 15, 2012

Pros: "FAST,FUN,RELIABLE,GREAT ON GAS!!!"

Cons: "Expensive replacement parts and suspension build."

"I have loved my car since the day i got it. It has a few upgrades on her and shes a rocket!!!! I broke a few things on it and they were spendy but i will tell you that if you are worried about spending money on this car DONT BUY ONE because they are very pricey for alot of things like my $200 in dash cup holder... SO I LOVE MY CAR but there not cheap."

Absurdly Great Car for the money

By on Sunday, January 8, 2012

"Great engine. Ride height low enough to be sporty, high enough not to scrape every driveway in town. Pros - Engine, Handling, Seats, Stereo, Visibility, Utility, Fun to Drive, Drives like a much more expensive car Cons - adequate gas mileage, every plastic latch has broken and been replaced, clutch and flywheel lasted less than 50k miles"

Best German sport aconomic vehicle out there!!

By on Friday, December 30, 2011

Pros: "Horse power and style"

Cons: "little space in the back"

"This car has it all....If you like Power,speed, looks and economy then this is your car. I've owned VW all my life and have no complains on none of them, but this one is a step up for VW performance. It has a unique interior design that makes you fill like in a drift/race car and once you start your trip it is so smooth. The turbo charged engine asks nothing to the power of an 8 cylinder and the 6th gear leaves everybody on the freeway with their mouth open! I think Blue Book should bump up the value....just a thought..lol"

Best car I've ever driven!

By on Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Pros: "fast good on gas. very good looking."

Cons: "none."

"Wow this car is an amazing little 4 cyl very very powerful and fun. great handling. has a great monsoon sound system. People always want to race me with their little Hondas but they cant handle it haha. this is a great car i love it."

A Capricious Car

By on Saturday, November 26, 2011

Pros: "Its a VW=Enough Said. Not convinced,then read on.!"

Cons: "CUPHOLDERS=Worst Placement.Only thing found wrong"

"Car: 2003 VW GTI 5 speed-1.8T APR Stage 1 Tune 17" Borbet Rims Chrome tipped straight pipe (Little background) This is my second car to own and I am a University Student. I attend University in a very cold (-15 F avg during the day in winter) ,snowy climate. Bought the vehicle in Texas. ok! So this car is an absolute blast to drive! I fell in Love with it the first time I test drove it. I have never lost the feeling that I'm driving a very Spirited go-cart. It just wants to go, no matter the circumstance. With Performance oriented all-season tires on, the snow and ice pose no threat at all to this frnt wheel driven animal. I never have to plug it in, even though I installed a pan heater just incase. Always starts. The feel when you get when driving it is a complete and utter joy. Tight around the corners and solid at a highway speeds. A $500 APR ECU flash is a highly recommended investment (209 hp > stock '11) resulting in a endless love of your life. You will instantly be converted to a VDub worshiper and will want to join/attend every VW cult meeting/show. Okay, that might be a little extreme but you can't criticize until you've owned one. The exterior looks are Stunning. The stance of the car gives it a sporty look while not standing out of the crowd. Although there is very little difference between it and the base golf Although, with the addition of a nice set of aftermarket rims the whole look automatically transforms. The Interior is great. The blue lit back lighting is beautiful and the seats just hold you like a glove. But in a comfy way. There is an endless amount of possible positions to be set at to fit and size or type of person. I've driven it on multiple 8 hours straight and never come out with a sore back. The back seat entrance is simply Brilliant. The majority (actually Every) of coupes/two cars that I have rid in, that have a back seat entrance, the seat only slides forward and can be a pain to get in and out of. In this car, the seat actually picks up, then slides forward = enough room to get my grandma in the back! The sound system (even though it's not the higher end Monsoon) is a work of art on it's own= 8 speakers. It comes with a stock 200W amp and that is seriously all you need. aside from an aftermarket deck to hook up your iPod = Legit. This has to be one of the most PRACTICAL cars ever. Small, Mobile, Efficient, Spacious, Sporty, Stunning (visually, Usability), Reliable, = VW There is a reason that Volkswagen= Peoples Car. DAS AUTO"

Fun Zippy and fuel efficient!

By on Friday, November 11, 2011

"I love my car. It gets between 26 and 34 mpg. with a simple air intake and 3" turbo-back exhaust it really wakes up. I'm not a "street racer", i actually needed to replace the flexpipe @ 50k and decided to just go with another exhaust. The intake was extremely inexpensive...and totally worth it. My original tires lasted for almost 55k. @ 65k Ive had a coil pack go bad (about $180) and brakes."

Great vehicle for fun.

By on Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Pros: "fun, fast, handling, trunk, compact"

Cons: "no rear seat space, noisey cabin"

"This vehicle is great if you want to have fun on the drive back and from work. the trunk is pretty big too can fit my golf clubs in there very easily. it handles great and i can pass with ease on the high way. the only faults i have is that i live on a dirt road and its not the most comfortable and the cabin is pretty noisy too. the interior is so/so some parts seem cheap, other parts are very nice! overall this car deserves a 4 out of 5."