ZIP code

2012 Volkswagen Golf

Based on 102 Ratings for the 2010 - 2014 models.

The Golf TDi is a fantastic car

By on Sunday, July 20, 2014

Pros: "Great Highway MPG, torque, fun!"

Cons: "Not for Toyota Camry drivers"

"I have loved VW Golfs for quite a while now and I have had the privilege to own two of them, a MkIV (2002 gas) and my current MkVI (2011 TDi). The MkVI is a very comfortable and agile car that makes driving fun while sipping diesel. This car excels on the highway, returning 44-45 MPG on long trips. Tons of torque is available at low RPMs, so if you encounter a steep hill, just drop it into 3rd or 4th and it powers up the incline like it's not even there. If you are a city driver, this might not be the car for you if you're mainly looking for high MPGs. It's probably better to go with a Prius or other hybrid or even an electric Leaf since those cars excel in town, but you will have more fun with the Golf. The Golf is also one of the best looking cars on the road under $30k, classic with well defined lines and curves. No crazy bubbles, swoopes or oversized grilles. Plus, at 31k miles, I have had zero problems with this vehicle, which is to be expected. Ultimately, the Golf is a drivers car; so if you enjoy driving and think of it as more than just getting from point A to point B, you will really appreciate this car."

Safe, Reliable, holds Value!

By on Friday, April 3, 2015

Pros: "Everything about this car is wonderful"

Cons: "Nothing"

"This car was my first new car purchase as a young professional. I did my research and thank goodness for that! This car has always been reliable, I now have a child and feel confident it is safe for her and my family. Best decision. Plus it has a great sporty appearance."

I love it so far!

By on Friday, August 21, 2015

Pros: "Great mileage, comfortable, fun to drive"

Cons: "break in period education"

"I think the new TDI's rock! I have had mine for almost 4 months, wanted to wait until I had driven it enough to write a review. I absolutely LOVE it. I get awesome mileage, I fill up 1/2 as much as my previous car. I have owned my fair share of different makes of vehicles, and this by FAR is the best I have ever owned.... I traded in a Cruze that I honestly really didn't care for one bit. This car makes me excited to drive! I have the Manual, I can't complain about power because it def. has enough... just a bit slow off the bat. But, not a deal breaker by any means. It's got some torque, the first time someone rides in it with me, that is one of the first things that they mention. It is comfortable to drive, handles great. I haven't driven it in the snow yet, but I can't see it being a problem. For the money I spent I think that it is a great value. The only advice I can give is, be sure to do the 10,000 mile maintenance as advised. Don't use the cruse control until the break in period is over, and be sure you educate yourself on the break in process to ensure your TDI will last you a lifetime. I love it. love it love it."

Great car goes bad after recall

By on Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Reason: Electrica problems after recall

Pros: "sharp looking, gets lots of compliments"

Cons: "Electrical problems after software recall."

"This is / was a great car until I got a recall notice. The recall was a software correction for the stability control, etc from my recolection. The car was flawless until that recall. I drove it back in the dealership repair. Before I even got off the lot, the Blue Tooth no longer worked, they had to reprogram it. Then, after leaving the lot I had trouble with the windows, sunroof and radio. I was so distraught, I didn't even take it back, I just lost money and traded it off with only 1590 miles on it! I've had problems with other cars (not VW) that took 6 or 7 tries and couldn't get fixed. I saw "my" car, I traded at KIA, a few months later at the VW lot. It only had 5,400 miles and now looking for another owner. I guess the new owner didn't like it either(still under warranty). Now, in all fairness, they car was perfect till then. Have any others had this experience?"

Great value, well built

By on Monday, October 27, 2014

Reason: wanted a new car

Pros: "quality, great customer care, very well built"

Cons: "Plethora of small things went wrong under warranty"

"Fun to drive with a truly well built interior. I had a lot of warranty items needing attention, so it was inconvenient. The car is truly comfortable. Gas mileage was consistently 30mpg which for the 2.5L 5 cylinder was really good, and with the 5 speed manual. I really recommend the golf as a superiorly well conceived and designed car, top of its class NO DOUBT"