2010 Volkswagen Golf

Based on 102 Ratings for the 2010 - 2014 models.

2015 VW Golf TSI SE- Best in class!

By on Thursday, August 28, 2014

Pros: "Economical, powerful, fun to drive"

Cons: "none so far"

"I was looking for an economy hatch (around $25K) that was extremely comfortable for long trips, quiet at hwy speeds, gave great hwy mpgs and had decent tech. The choice came down to 3 cars- Mazda3 2.5GT, Kia Forte5 and the 2015 Golf TSI SE. The Kia has the best technology and creature comforts including heated and cooled driver seat, heated steering wheel etc... But I did not enjoy how it drove and the interior felt sort of lower tier. The Mazda3 was extremely impressive in just about every area but a lack of storage around the driver and no option for a lighter blue had me look toward the Golf. When I finally test drove it I felt like I was home. Just perfect in every area. Quieter and more comfortable than the other cars on the road, great storage everywhere including a large door pocket, storage under the seat and on the left of the steering wheel in addition to the center console and center stack. The infotainment system sounds incredible (since it's made by Fender- 400W sub woofer located inside the spare tire) and has a nice 5.8 inch color touch screen that works like a smart phone screen with swipes and pinches. Plus the Blue Silk Metallic is a beautiful blue. I bought the SE model with the lighting package which includes bi-Xenon lights with Adaptive front lighting and LED DRls (Adds $995). Including Chrome exhaust tips, mud flaps and monster mats I paid $26K including destination. I have only driven it around 700 miles so far but it's a dream. I am averaging around 30mpg but that's 90% city. I've seen MFD show between 38 and 40 mpg during the brief hwy driving at around 70mph. I expect it should easily get 40mpg on long trips. The 1.8T is a really powerful engine for this class and pulls the car extremely well - 0-60 in about 7.5 sec with the automatic. The low end torque 200 lbs/ft starts around 1500 rpm so the car shoots out of a stop light with amazing quickness. Hwy passing is cinch. It doesn't feel like it's laboring at all and there is almost no turbo lag. I think this is the best car I could have bought that fit my specifications and plus the German dynamics is just an added bonus."

Great, reliable and made for drivers

By on Friday, October 24, 2014

Pros: "Comfortable, Great Gas Mileage, Brilliant Handling"

"This is my second Golf. My first was a 1996 CL, gas model. This is my first diesel powered car. I have been quite impressed with how well this car handles and corners, it's extremely tight and responsive. I also love the turbo engine, it really kicks in and the power is great. The tech package makes it really comfortable, navigation, sunroof, bluetooth, iphone charger, heated seats....really comfortable. I also noticed how quiet the interior cabin is as well. Any of my friends or family that drive this car tell me how much the love it. I love this car too and never want to sell it!"

Great Genes

By on Sunday, September 27, 2015

"We bought the TSI model with sunroof, leatherette, fender stereo,17 inch wheels and lighting package. has the paddle shifters but rarely use. turbo lag very apparent in first gear, you have to learn to put your foot into it a bit otherwise very sluggish starting from stop, but after that it's a little autobahn rocket. Had a 83 GTI and reminds me a lot of that when driving. Not perfect though. poor rearward visibility, the rear back up lights do not illuminate very well at night, the backup camera does not have the turning guides that other cars like Mazda has and VW cheaped out by not also installing back up sensors that beep as you are nearing an obstacle behind you. I have that system on my ford pickup and can get within an inch of whatever is behind me without hitting. As you can probably guess, my wife was backing out at night and hit my truck. Light damage to both but could have been avoided with the sensors that beep. Otherwise, love driving this car."

good car for the price

By on Sunday, February 5, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive,good gas mileage"

Cons: "ride not as smooth as the mini"

"the gas mileage is good.acceleration is better than what some would expect out of a diesel.the usb cord could be longer,but i do like the fact that your ipod is hidden in the center armrest."

Horrible Maintenance Record

By on Friday, November 18, 2011

Pros: "It has a lot of power and is fun to drive."

Cons: "Too many maintenance issues. Repairs are expensive"

"I have the VW Golf for less than 2 years and it has had nothing but problems with the brakes. So far I have had the entire braking system replaced at 10,000 miles. Then at 20,000 they had to replace the pads again because the brakes were still seizing up. Now at 40,000 my brakes are worn again and need to be replaced ... but guess what, now it's outside of warranty. I thought I would love this car, but so far it's been the worst decision I've ever made."