2005 Volkswagen Golf

7.9

Based on 274 Ratings for the 1999 - 2006 models.

Reliable and Fun to Drive

By on Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Pros: "Great drive and reliable"

Cons: "Stupid front cup-holder; best MPH only 28 HWY"

"I have owned this car for 8 years after buying it as a certified used vehicle. Aside from normal wear, and a recent replacement of the catalytic converter (covered by warranty!!), the car has never failed me. Clutch still works great, never turned a break rotor, no electrical issues, ... just absolutely reliable! This car, with a short wheelbase, 5-speed manual and moon roof is a blast to drive on windy country roads. It hauls a lot when the seats are down, and I have been known to carry four bikes on top and two on the hatch. It looks great with a 17.5 ft kayak on top, too. This is the fourth Rabbit or Golf that I have owned in 20 yrs, and it really is the best."

great car!!

By on Friday, October 9, 2009

"Bought this car in 2003 was 2 years old had 35k miles. 225,000 miles now no major problems other than regular maintenance, front axle broke because of a road hazard.first timing belt change at 190k miles and it still looked like new also replaced the water pump w/the timing belt but it wasnt leaking yet.I did have to replace the front struts but that was after 180k miles, the front wheel bearings went twice so far, and the front doors power windows kept breaking but VW fixed them for free everytime even after the warranty expired because they had a recall on them. Besides that nothing else still original clutch and no signs of going soon, the engine runs quiet and very smooth, chck engine light came on on humid or rainy days because the ignition wires needed replacing. Great car if maintained properly and not abused. I think I'll be good for at least another 100 to 150 K miles.a couple of annoying small problems besides the power windows regulator is the head lights frequent burning, they wont last more than 6 months."

TDI - I really get 50 mpg!

By on Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Pros: "Reliable, adaptable, fun, really efficient!"

Cons: "Expensive parts, hard to find a diesel mechanic"

"LOVE this car! With 317,000 miles, I've had no engine/tranny/steering rack issues at all. Suspension, exhaust and brakes have needed work,because of road salt and normal wear. The 1.9L diesel hauls a decent load in a small trailer, and I can fit a lot inside the car. The ONLY complaint I have is that the seat reclines only by slowly cranking it with a wheel. I like to nap when I'm waiting for people, and I'd like a simple lever."

Little war horse. Best car I've ever owned.

By on Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Pros: "Safe, never broke down, mpg, affordable maint."

Cons: "I got emotionally attached."

"Hands down, I absolutely love this car. That's saying a lot, being that I am a car buff. I bought it used from a certified VW dealer in 2008 with 27k miles. It NEVER broke down. The only thing I needed the warranty for was to replace a wheel barring (~$1k job). The oil is easy to change yourself, as is all other routine maintenance (also affordable at an honest garage). I was in love. It was as fun to drive as a loaded rally car, but not crazy enough to be targeted by police. 4 doors = a must. When the back seats are put down, there's tons of cargo space. Oh, and great speakers. The dash displays are nice too (blue and red color scheme). If you are worried about driving a small car because of safety, I hear you. However, I commuted 60 miles (hwy) in this car a day and it kept me safe. No blind spots, too. Last month, I got rear ended at a stop light by a big Toyota pickup going 50mph. The kid was texting or something. My Golf was pushed into the Volvo in front of me... and it was totaled. I was well enough to get myself out of the car, but did go to the hospital. If i was in a Civic hatchback, it would have been another story. I miss this car terribly and am grateful it kept me safe (perhaps even saved my life). Those Germans know how to design a good frame and crumple zones..."

Nothing like it back in 01'

By on Wednesday, February 23, 2011

"Thinking about a used TDI ? Wondering if they are worth the money ? I would say they are. The 2001 Golf TDI that I have owned now for 7 years is a great car. I have averaged 45 mpg in a 50/50 mix of highway city driving. I have had very few problems other than normal wear and tear / maintenance issues. The car drives like a larger more comfortable car and even with 210,000 miles, it has NO rattles and uses no oil between the 10,000 mile oil change intervals . I would say that the performance is the only negative , as it takes about 13 seconds to get to 60. Cruising at 70 to 80 mph though, is effortless and extremely comfortable. Another big plus is not having to stop for gas much. I regularly hit 700 miles on a tank when driving conservatively. My best was 890 miles, but that was drafting trucks and driving no faster than 55, which simply isn't practical. If you are seeing reports of these cars achieving 60 mpg, it is possible.... but only if you drive extremely conservatively, and I would say wrecklessly, because people coming up on you doing 50 to 55 in a 65 might very well rear end you. A real world MPG of 45 is not hard to average, and actually easy to exceed. My experience on a flat road during the spring (no A/C )showed @60mpg at 50mph, @55mpg at 55mph, @50mpg at 60 to 65 mph, and @48 mpg at 70 to 75mph. Wind , (yes , wind ) time of year (A/C usage and diesel additives for cold weather ) and overall steadiness with the accelerator can move these numbers around a bit, but on highway trips, the turbo direct injected 1.9L ALH is simply a wonderful example of German engineering. I think when it comes to value, this is the best car I have ever owned. I definately have enjoyed it the most. Good luck on finding one ,(as they are kind of rare), and I hope you have the success I found with mine !"