2004 Volkswagen Golf

7.9

Based on 274 Ratings for the 1999 - 2006 models.

By on Saturday, January 12, 2008

"I HAVE THIS CAR NOW FOR 116.000 THOUSAND MILES. NEVER ANY PROBLEMS WITH IT OTHER THE THE LIGHT BULBS WHICH SEEM S TO BE A PROBLEM WITH VW. VERY HAPPY WITH IT."

Wonderful Car

By on Wednesday, September 12, 2007

"Drove my daughter back to college in her's from Upstate NY to NC. Love it so much I bought one for myself. I've got 63K and it's been wonderful. At 6'2' no problems with comfort and in&out. Handles winters with ease, love the ABS , 30+MPG and room for stuff! Great sound system, A/C a little light but I'm in upstate NY no big deal."

Awesome Ride

By on Saturday, September 8, 2007

"I've had my 2001 VW Golf for over 1 1/2 years. Bought it with 39,000miles and just hitting 54K now. Not one issue. I've spent a bit moding it though, but who couldn't with an awesome car like this. Perfect for anyone! Plus you can do just about anything to these motors and they'll still run like a champ. I love VW!!"

Best Car I have owned.

By on Monday, September 3, 2007

"The Golf TDI has excellent handling traits, very good acceleration, is comfortable for me at 6' 250 lbs and.... GETS 45 MPG! That is combined city and highway real life millage. The audio system is first rate. The 1.9L diesel engine is proven technology with a large base of users in Europe. I have had no difficulty with it and don't expect any. If you want durable, economical, comfortable, functional transportation you should give the Golf TDI every consideration."

Let down

By on Monday, August 20, 2007

"I have 120,000 miles on my 2000 Golf. It has never broken down or stalled on me but has had some malfunctions (some expensive-transimission, power steering...) that HAD to be repaired in order to keep the car safely driveable. A minor issue I have with my vehicle is the interior finish. The dash is gorgeous & looks new but the material used around the fixtures/buttons/door handles is some kind of soft plastic? that scratches/chips away easily and leaves an UGLY look. On the plus side, I really like the handling and performance. I still find the car fun to drive."

By on Wednesday, August 1, 2007

"Would never recommend a VW to anybody. If you want a reliable car, drive a Toyota. Even my mechanic says VWs are not that great and have a tendency to break down after 4-5 years."

Good car for its day and class.

By on Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Pros: "Good value at the time."

"Simple styling reasonable performance and reliability. That pretty much sums up my experience with the 04 Golf. Purchased certified pre-owned in 2007 with 20,000 miles, now have 75,000 with only routine maintenance cost since purchased."

Excellent vehicle

By on Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Pros: "Good value for the money"

Cons: "Not enough storage space"

"The little things that Volkswagen has done to this car makes this a great value, such as the Telescoping steering wheel and center sun visor. My one complaint is there is no storage in the vehicle. NO center console and minimal compartments, and the trunk is to small to fit my golf clubs without lowering the back seat"

a spendy little lemon.

By on Thursday, February 9, 2012

Pros: "Zippy turbo, fun to drive"

Cons: "expensive and unreliable."

"I'm not too satisfied with this car. If you've ever owned a old air cooled VW you know they are quirky.. well the apples don't fall far from the tree and this apple isn't cheap!! This car has had some problems that could have been avoided all together if they would have just made quality components.. I like the concept of the 1.9 tdi engine and cam driven fuel injection system but bad rings and seals in the fuel pump, a breaking serpentine belt tensioner, and a seized fuel injector that required us to rebuild the top end of the engine (not at the same time mind you) This little hipster mobile is a great choice if your into spending lots of money for no reason."

My first car, and it's awesome

By on Thursday, January 12, 2012

Pros: "Reliable, comfortable, attractive, practical"

Cons: "Slow"

"One of the best-built cars around, no question. The 2.0L is super reliable but obviously lacking on power (great on gas though). The 5-speed transmission is a must because VW makes great transmissions. Interior is refined without being over-complex. Exterior is plain when stock but gorgeous when you lower it and put some nice wheels on. Very easy to work on and modify as well."

Love VW Rabbit/Golf

By on Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Pros: "Great mileage, fun to drive, can haul a boat"

Cons: "2 door can't have moon roof"

"I have owned 7; 5 being diesels. Current car is Golf TDI with 212000 miles. Maintenance is absolutely NOT a problem. Every 60,000 miles new timing belt and oil changes every 5000 miles. No problem. Can decide this minute to go to Florida and drive this car without any special planning. Love the hatchback. With seats down I got a full size dishwasher still in the box in the car."

Expencisive Lesson

By on Friday, December 31, 2010

"When I purchaced this car "I had to have it". It was used...I bought it in 2005 with 1200miles on it. Now it is 2010, it has 88,000 miles on it. With the 88,000 miles it has two sets of wheel bearings, axel pilot bearings, new fuel pump. I am afraid to drive it because it cost money every time I turn the key. The dealer acts like I owe them and should bow down in their pressence. I received a recall for the glow plugs. They want the car all day....which is over an hour away and then they do not know if my car is the one that needs the glow plugs untill they are removed. I replaced one of the glow plugs, but will not be reimbursed for my expence. It would be less expensive for me to purchace the glow plugs and replace them myself. The car has been a headach from about 50,000 miles, and dealing with the dealership makes it worse."

My One and Only Ever!

By on Sunday, September 5, 2010

"I bought my 2004 Golf new to replace my 1989 Golf which I bought to replace my ___ Golf -- well you get the idea! This is the only car I will ever want and hope it lasts a lifetime! I have a 5-speed manual transmission which can get a bit tricky on San Francisco's hills but it allows me to totally control my speed and handling and gets me superb 35 mpg plus gas mileage. I love to coast too on the hills and my dream is to get all the way across SF without going into gear at all! In a city where parking spaces are almost nonexistent, I can usually find a spot even where homeowners have sneakily widened driveways to keep people from parking in front of their houses. I love the way my wide and low slung little car hugs the road and handles on sharp curves (unlike my husband's giant Toyota SUV). I love my Golf's indigo blue body still looking good after all these years! Because it's a little car my Golf's sunroof and windows keep the interior cool on even the hottest days. I recently took my Golf in for servicing and it only cost a small amount. I was told the transmission, brakes and tires were still in like new condition and I was in no way ready for an engine tuneup! One of the few things I would like upgrade is my sound system (AM reception is not so hot). Also, I have the pale blond interior but did not discover until after I had the car for awhile and my dealer had gone out of business that my seats hadn't been Scotchgarded which means my driver's seat is now the denim blue of my jeans (no seatcovers should be used because of airbags -- something else I didn't know until too late to change upholstery color!). But all this is just to say my 2004 Golf is a fabulous car and if you are looking to buy one -- go for it but know that it's a love that could last forever!!"

VW golf

By on Tuesday, October 27, 2009

"The VW Golf its and awsome car to own very confortable and reliable , i would deff recomend this vehicle to everyone."

Best Vehicle

By on Monday, October 5, 2009

"This is the best vehicle I have ever owned and I've owned over 500 different ones! TDI rocks, the only drawback is biodiesel is not available everywhere."

By on Tuesday, May 19, 2009

"This has been a very reliable car, never breaks down. It's got good power and is fun to drive. Good gas mileage. For a small car, it has fit everything from 8 foot lumbar to several pieces of assembled furniture."

Good, not great

By on Saturday, February 28, 2009

"I've had a bunch of problems with this car - bad oxygen sensors, mysteriously cracked oil pan, interior components falling apart, bad fuel pump. The check engine light is on more than not. And I am on top of scheduled service and maintenance. When it's problem free, it's a great city car - zippy, responsive, and hugs the road. I'm 6'3" and can't fit comfortably in much else, which I like about this car. But I will try and avoid VWs in the future. Too quirky and overpriced for the quality."

Best Commuting Car

By on Wednesday, February 18, 2009

"This car has never let me down (*knock on wood*). It grips the road, it has get up and go, it's sporty yet very fuel efficient. I get between 45-50 mpg when on the highway...even at speeds of 75-80 mph. We bought it brand new, for a reasonable price and have never complained since. It is the only car I have ever owned that I do not want to sell. I plan on driving this car until it refuses to drive any further."

Golf TDI GLS

By on Tuesday, February 10, 2009

"Nice car great german engineering but at about 70K miles things started going bad and costing alot to fix- great car good pickup and 47 MPG go along way but high repair costs can put a damper on farfegnugen."

Outstanding!

By on Wednesday, November 19, 2008

"I have had my Golf for 4 trouble-free years, and it's been the best car I've owned, even better than my BMW."

horrible car!!!!

By on Sunday, August 10, 2008

"never ever buy a volkswagon golf!!! expensive to fix and always in the shop"

More pwer than any 4 cyl gas car &40+mpg!

By on Sunday, July 13, 2008

"Sporty, corners well, fun to drive and economical.Long road trips are not quite as comfortable as they should be, but not unbearable either.It even makes a great tow vehicle with a small utility trailer.I love to drive A LOT so this car was a must!"

it's OK

By on Saturday, June 21, 2008

"I really enjoy it's european handling. I like VW's maintenance schedule--oil change every 5000 miles. It is sporty to drive esp. 5 speed. 4cyl non-turbo can do 1/4 mi. at 119mph. Gets about 28mpg in city and 32 hwy. Little things go wrong with it, like vent air direction controls break off-even though the car has been well cared for. The 3rd gear has started grinding after 22,000 mi. Back seat on 4 dr is too small for adults. This car gets good gas mileage because it is so light, however, if there is 1/2" of snow on the ground the car can barely go. My model does not have the VW version of traction control because it's the very base model."

Great car

By on Tuesday, June 17, 2008

"I only go for gas once a week and it runs like a baby"

Great little car would do it again

By on Tuesday, June 10, 2008

"I have owned this car for around two months now and love every bit of it. The 2.0L engine gives you some fun while still have fuel aconomy in the mid 30's This little car handles the smokey mountains very nicely and loves to run on the highway. Only complaint I have is that they should have had either a taller fifth gear or a sixth gear on them. Otherwise love it. Will be doing it again."