2003 Volkswagen Golf

7.9

Based on 274 Ratings for the 1999 - 2006 models.

150,000 and strong

By on Monday, October 1, 2007

"bought the car new in '03'. replaced only the water pump and a battery. lacks horsepower but the gas mileage makes up for it. sounds great with intake on it and looks fantastic after 4 years. i would recommend a vw to anyone looking to buy a new car."

Good enough car, but should be better

By on Monday, August 13, 2007

"Nice small hatchback. Looks great, especially the interior finish ... as good as an Audi. Had several warranty issues, so a bit annoying. One warranty issue led to premature break replacement at my own cost after warranty expired. Needs more power (the '07 Rabbit should have this problem fixed). Seems to hold its value well. I just hope that the electronics don't start failing me. So far, so good. Fingers crossed."

Awesome Car

By on Friday, July 6, 2007

"This car is awesome. Super fast and a blast to drive. Test drive one and you'll buy it. I've owned mine since 50k and is now at 80k with no problems. Definately suggest this car to anyone interested in it."

An old reliable friend.

By on Friday, May 12, 2017

Pros: "Reliable and cheap to maintain."

Cons: "A 4-cyl engine should be getting more than 27mpg."

"I bought my 2004 VW Golf 4-dr black GLS in 2005. It had 7,500 miles. It had a 4-Cyl 2.0 liter gas engine. Practically new. Pretty much fell in love with the boxy contours. I have never had any major problems in the twelve years I have owned this vehicle. It is 2017 and it now has 105,000 miles. Battery died at 60,000 miles and replaced that for 170. Changed all four tires twice for around 350. Changed the 5W30 oil at every 5,000 miles for 30. Replaced temperature thermostat for 30. The biggest expense has been the timing belt and water pump replacement at 105,000 miles....that was 600. I am thinking about getting a newer car, but I wont trade or sell this car. This vehicle always starts and does not quit. Excellent vehicle."

Two owner vehicle just had a major service

By on Sunday, August 23, 2015

Pros: "Fuel economy with performance"

Cons: "Higher mileage but in very good condition no rust"

"Just had major service performed Timing belt and tensioner serpentine belt and tensioner"

Absolutly love it

By on Friday, March 23, 2012

"I have been a chevy man for the last 6 years then i started looking in to vw cause of the gas milage they get i dont think i will ever get away from the vw line of cars there great for different types of people there still easy to work on not to expencive to repair and they are easy to get aftermarket parts for"

Ready to buy my third TDI Golf

By on Saturday, February 18, 2012

Pros: "Great mileage, peppy acceleration for a small car."

Cons: "Cold starts (less than -10F) a bit iffy."

"This is my second TDI Golf. I bought my first one new in 2000. It was a 2D base model. I drove it for almost 250,000 miles with nothing but standard maintenance. The car still ran beautifully, but the body was showing some rust. The mileage is phenomenal. I averaged 46 mpg, but I do a lot of freeway driving. My second TDI was bought used. It has a lot more bells and whistles, but has been a trooper for 171,000 miles. I find VWs to be well designed from the inside out. Very comfortable seats; simple, intuitive dash controls; very peppy ride. The torque on a diesel is amazing. I will likely buy a third Golf TDI, although I'm toying with getting a Paasat TDI wagon."

LOVE my car!

By on Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, great gas mileage, reliable car!"

Cons: "No heated seats. Not fancy looking. Big deal!"

"I have been driving this car for almost 7 years, and I absolutely love it. I just dropped it off for routine maintenance, and driving a 2012 Nissan has me missing my baby like crazy. It's 11 years old now, but has never left me stranded on the side of the road, has never had anything under the hood go out, hugs the road like crazy (I commute over California's notorious, winding Highway 17 daily) with the body of the GTI racecar, gets 40-45 miles per gallon, and is just the best car ever. People keep asking when I plan to upgrade to a newer car... I tell them when my car finally dies - considering most of these cars get 300-500,000 miles and I'm at 146,000, providing I don't get in an accident, it will be a while. The best car ever. When it is time to say goodbye, I will be so upset!"

Warm ride

By on Wednesday, April 6, 2011

"Great car. Heated seats are fantastic, work very well. Starts up well, even in coldest conditions in northern New England. Best mileage achieved thus far 52. Average 42- 45. Could have a bit more room in back for adult seating, but for small family this car works well. Plenty of stow room in trunk. Rear seats fold flat and go up and down easily. Great road feel, plenty of pick up. Great lomg term traveller. Don't like the lack of warning when lights are left on. Overall a great value and a very reliable car. Highly recommended car, strong diesel performer."

Reliable, Comfortable, and Fun

By on Monday, November 22, 2010

"This vehicle runs well and looks great. It's easy to drive and people always complement on it and say how nice it looks. Comfy to ride and and drive. I drove mine over 200,000 miles and with routine maintenance it lasted well beyond my mechanics estimations."