2001 Volkswagen Golf

7.9

Based on 273 Ratings for the 1999 - 2006 models.

Reliable, Comfortable, and Fun

By on Monday, November 22, 2010

"This vehicle runs well and looks great. It's easy to drive and people always complement on it and say how nice it looks. Comfy to ride and and drive. I drove mine over 200,000 miles and with routine maintenance it lasted well beyond my mechanics estimations."

Great Mileage

By on Sunday, January 3, 2010

"I have a 2003 GLS TDI with 186,000 mils on it. I just completed a mileage check and got 43 mpg driving in town and 54mpg on a long run. Little things keep going wrong and the parts are very expensive, more than the Mercedes i have. Other than that the car is fun to drive and the 1.9L turbo diesel has great torque so you can keep up with traffic, not like the early VW diesels where acceleration was poor and black smoke followed you!!"

Too much trouble

By on Monday, July 20, 2009

"I purchased my 1999 Volkswagen Golf in 2000. So far, I have had both the side trim and the piece that holds in the license plate simply deteriorate and fall off as well as about 3 of the hubcaps over the years. The muffler and heat shield had to be replaced within my first year owning it. I have replaced the ignition, wheel bearings and numerous other little things over the years. I have put $1500 into it in the last 6 months alone and it still needs a new throttle body. I have heard good things about the Golf. Maybe '99 just wasn't a good year. Maybe its just this individual car... Fun to drive when it was still only a few years old. Now its just an albatross."

By on Sunday, July 19, 2009

"Full of electrical problems and other things. the second my car hit 50,000 miles is turned on me. I hate it and will never buy another VW again."

4 water pumps

By on Saturday, May 2, 2009

"I've put 3 water pumps in this car since i bought it with 40k miles. Something breaks costing roughly 600 dollars every 2-3 months.(ECU,sensors,waterpump,belts) I will never buy a vw or audi again."

2000 golf TDI

By on Sunday, December 28, 2008

"Well loved styling and performance. living in the cold though vehicle will not warm up unless driven. Plagued by electrical problems ..8 dealer visists for drivers airbag light never fixed. rear disc brake decided to lock on and eat itself rotor caliper and all. silly expensive timing belt change price and schedual. rear tail light bulbs on driver side burn out every 3 or 4 thousand miles (hint change oil and bulbs). turbo went at 68000 miles convient for warrenty purposes(sarcasism). when new drove in a winter storm ..handled very well untill the airintake froze over and whole intake manifold gummed up. overall wanted to love the car but unless ur independantly weathy type who just send car to dealer and use platinum/gold card and never look at bill never ever buy this car. VW has horrible national support as they couldnt care less about the dealers and the dealers will make you pay instead of trying to get VW to cover anything. PLEASE Heed the bad reviews!!!!!!!!"

So much fun!

By on Monday, October 20, 2008

"Love my 2001 golf! So fun to drive, and looks great too. The body style is so classic people can't tell what year it is, especially when you stick to the basic colors not something trendy. Gas mileage is good. Easy to park and feels real solid to drive. Not like a lightweight honda or toyota. Lots of head room and leg room an plenty of room in the hatch back for groceries & stuff. I had a rack put on mine for ski stuff. there's nothing like a German car. Get one!"

By on Saturday, January 12, 2008

"I HAVE THIS CAR NOW FOR 116.000 THOUSAND MILES. NEVER ANY PROBLEMS WITH IT OTHER THE THE LIGHT BULBS WHICH SEEM S TO BE A PROBLEM WITH VW. VERY HAPPY WITH IT."

Wonderful Car

By on Wednesday, September 12, 2007

"Drove my daughter back to college in her's from Upstate NY to NC. Love it so much I bought one for myself. I've got 63K and it's been wonderful. At 6'2' no problems with comfort and in&out. Handles winters with ease, love the ABS , 30+MPG and room for stuff! Great sound system, A/C a little light but I'm in upstate NY no big deal."

Awesome Ride

By on Saturday, September 8, 2007

"I've had my 2001 VW Golf for over 1 1/2 years. Bought it with 39,000miles and just hitting 54K now. Not one issue. I've spent a bit moding it though, but who couldn't with an awesome car like this. Perfect for anyone! Plus you can do just about anything to these motors and they'll still run like a champ. I love VW!!"