2000 Volkswagen Golf

7.9

Based on 274 Ratings for the 1999 - 2006 models.

Great mileage!

By on Tuesday, January 8, 2008

"I've never gotten less than 42mpg in my Golf TDI...and that's in town! I've owned it for 3yrs now, and so far, so good on the electricals and integrity, but I've heard some horrow stories. I only have 17,000 miles on it, so we'll see. The performance leaves a bit to be desired, but with the max torque being produced at 1800rpm, downshifting is never a necessity. I can cruise around at 35mph in 5th gear with no problems. It's a small car and although roomy for a small hatchback, the backseat is almost useless for people. If you have kids, only 1 seat will realistically fit in the back (in the middle) and it's a pain to get them in/out. We always use my wife's minivan to go anywhere, even though it gets less than half the mileage. Overall, a satisfying car with unbeatable gas mileage. I hope my good luck with reliablility continues. If not, the resale value (due to gas prices I assume) is almost what I paid for it!"

150,000 and strong

By on Monday, October 1, 2007

"bought the car new in '03'. replaced only the water pump and a battery. lacks horsepower but the gas mileage makes up for it. sounds great with intake on it and looks fantastic after 4 years. i would recommend a vw to anyone looking to buy a new car."

Good enough car, but should be better

By on Monday, August 13, 2007

"Nice small hatchback. Looks great, especially the interior finish ... as good as an Audi. Had several warranty issues, so a bit annoying. One warranty issue led to premature break replacement at my own cost after warranty expired. Needs more power (the '07 Rabbit should have this problem fixed). Seems to hold its value well. I just hope that the electronics don't start failing me. So far, so good. Fingers crossed."

Awesome Car

By on Friday, July 6, 2007

"This car is awesome. Super fast and a blast to drive. Test drive one and you'll buy it. I've owned mine since 50k and is now at 80k with no problems. Definately suggest this car to anyone interested in it."

Two owner vehicle just had a major service

By on Sunday, August 23, 2015

Pros: "Fuel economy with performance"

Cons: "Higher mileage but in very good condition no rust"

"Just had major service performed Timing belt and tensioner serpentine belt and tensioner"

A Cheap Car From Germany!

By on Thursday, August 22, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive in Fall and Spring!"

Cons: "Expensive to repair and needs lots of it too!!"

"Gas mileage for this small car it is only 28 in a good day?! Parts are made of cheap plastics. Inside of car full of cheap plastic. In hot days of summer squeaks and in cold days of winter they rattles, Das Auto!! Unreliable Automatic Transmissions (AT) and EXPENSIVE to fix. if you must Get one make sure to get a 5/6 Speed Manuals. VW manufacturing said and insisted and stated in the manual AT its LIFETIME maintenance free thats A BIG LIE! most AT on VW are falling apart left and right do to problems like: Solenoid(s), AT Oil or clogged Oil filters, TRANSMISSION VALVE BODY and it cost parts only about $800 at the dealers *I call them Stiller's*!! or just quits on you all together do to the chain reactions of one or multiple part failures in the AT!!! We own a 2004 Jetta 5 speeds 2.oL Eng. runs good and a Golf 2.0L Eng. with a AT. we purchased them brand new in 2004 Golf have a bad AT, Jetta still running but costing a lots of money to keep this two VW operational!"

Absolutly love it

By on Friday, March 23, 2012

"I have been a chevy man for the last 6 years then i started looking in to vw cause of the gas milage they get i dont think i will ever get away from the vw line of cars there great for different types of people there still easy to work on not to expencive to repair and they are easy to get aftermarket parts for"

Ready to buy my third TDI Golf

By on Saturday, February 18, 2012

Pros: "Great mileage, peppy acceleration for a small car."

Cons: "Cold starts (less than -10F) a bit iffy."

"This is my second TDI Golf. I bought my first one new in 2000. It was a 2D base model. I drove it for almost 250,000 miles with nothing but standard maintenance. The car still ran beautifully, but the body was showing some rust. The mileage is phenomenal. I averaged 46 mpg, but I do a lot of freeway driving. My second TDI was bought used. It has a lot more bells and whistles, but has been a trooper for 171,000 miles. I find VWs to be well designed from the inside out. Very comfortable seats; simple, intuitive dash controls; very peppy ride. The torque on a diesel is amazing. I will likely buy a third Golf TDI, although I'm toying with getting a Paasat TDI wagon."

LOVE my car!

By on Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, great gas mileage, reliable car!"

Cons: "No heated seats. Not fancy looking. Big deal!"

"I have been driving this car for almost 7 years, and I absolutely love it. I just dropped it off for routine maintenance, and driving a 2012 Nissan has me missing my baby like crazy. It's 11 years old now, but has never left me stranded on the side of the road, has never had anything under the hood go out, hugs the road like crazy (I commute over California's notorious, winding Highway 17 daily) with the body of the GTI racecar, gets 40-45 miles per gallon, and is just the best car ever. People keep asking when I plan to upgrade to a newer car... I tell them when my car finally dies - considering most of these cars get 300-500,000 miles and I'm at 146,000, providing I don't get in an accident, it will be a while. The best car ever. When it is time to say goodbye, I will be so upset!"

Warm ride

By on Wednesday, April 6, 2011

"Great car. Heated seats are fantastic, work very well. Starts up well, even in coldest conditions in northern New England. Best mileage achieved thus far 52. Average 42- 45. Could have a bit more room in back for adult seating, but for small family this car works well. Plenty of stow room in trunk. Rear seats fold flat and go up and down easily. Great road feel, plenty of pick up. Great lomg term traveller. Don't like the lack of warning when lights are left on. Overall a great value and a very reliable car. Highly recommended car, strong diesel performer."