1998 Volkswagen Golf

7.8

Based on 129 Ratings for the 1993 - 1999 models.

Would buy again without a second thought

By on Friday, September 5, 2008

"I got this car with a little under 40K on it and at 48K I had to do some basic repairs because it as is per the norm. Other than that this car has been outstanding. Have only had to do your basic repairs without any major issues. I had to replace the clutch cable about 3 years ago and at 10 years old it needs a new gear shifter and bushings, but that has been the only issue in the 6 years I have owned it. Repairs would be expensive, but going to VW ONLY shops helps a lot. They aren't the cheapest for parts, but since they don't need many repairs it isn't an issue. This car handles like it was glued to the ground (believe me, I have run it like a rally car and it takes whatever I give it). While I would like a little more power out of it, for what it does have it is a little bullet! I love this car and will drive it until I have to push it and then I will buy a new one!"

Great value - fun to drive

By on Tuesday, September 2, 2008

"I've driven this car 100K fun miles in past 8 years. Needed typical wear & tear repairs (muffler, struts, brakes, etc.) but nothing major and car never stranded me. Parts & repairs generally cheap compared to other vehicles. Zippy car to drive. I average 30mpg and have amazed people with what can fit in the back when seats are down. Would buy again in a heartbeat!"

By on Saturday, December 8, 2007

"eh, a 93 and it still runs. That was good enough for me when i got it four years ago. Mine has manual windows, so i never experienced the problems typically accociated with the window regulator. Every now and again, it hiccups down the expressway, but hey... 191,300 and counting. What more can you ask from an automobile that was engineered to go 70k? I love my car, would not trade it in my life. Besides, it's got character. The contemporary styling is STILL better looking than the new cars and it's fifteen years old. My suggestions? change the oil every 3000 with synth (i now use high milage) keep it clean. Treat it well and it will return the favor."

It's nice.

By on Tuesday, September 18, 2007

"This is about as fun as it gets driving a car. Little rattles and squeaks are bothersome. Had 50,000 miles on it when I got it. I've driven it hard for about 5 years and have not had one problem with it. It's a blast to drive and you can beat on it as hard as you want and not worry about it. 9,000 miles in between oil changes with non synthetic oil. If you do have any mechanical problems, be prepared to pay top dollar to get it fixed. If you want a fun, quick, car that you just put gas in when you need it and don't worry about anything else....then this is your car."

zippy car

By on Monday, July 16, 2007

"This car is zippy even when hauling around three friends and gear. Always gets 30+ mpg, and almost never have problems. I will definitely be getting another."

Fantastic Car!

By on Thursday, July 12, 2007

"I have owned mine since 1997 and it has run flawlessly. Great gas mileage and totally reliable. I would highly recommend this car to anyone."

my kids car, ran rough til new plugs, runs great!

By on Saturday, January 21, 2012

Pros: "engineering"

Cons: "small, quirky german engineering"

"car has 109k, ran very rough, replaced original plugs, cap, rotor, now runs great. Had my doubts, but now am very impressed. Plugs were all worn down to nubs-evenly!"

really reliable

By on Monday, September 20, 2010

"motor is tough car will run forever with regualar matinece and gets great gas milage 30+"

if loved will run great for a long time

By on Wednesday, July 7, 2010

"In the past, I've owned not so sporty cars ('67 Mustang-'72 Granada-'81 Olds wagon) but this 1996 Golf has been the most pleasing, purchsing it BRAND NEW w/ 61 miles on it, great gas mileage, and of course its reliability (early in its life). As "MCKevROCK from Springfield, IL" (2/5/09) said about the repairs...ignition coil, power steering pump, belts, 1 set of brakes, tie rods, wires, door latch, dipstick stalk, etc. --DEALERS repairs are pricy!! Can't set alarm from outside of Drivers Door--$700+ fix from Dealer (don't understand that cost?) The clutch is slowly going out after 178,000 miles...BUT it still has original Tranny. AND can't forget to mention...the car hasn't pass emissions for the past 4 times (every other year) since 2000. I loved that car, but since it was one of the years VWs were assembled in Mexico, I can forsee more cost, having more than $25K invested in this VW (Leasing for 7 years then opting to purchase it after) it gave me a great run... NOW I own a '93 delSol... which I do recommend, even more than the VW..."

Great car

By on Friday, June 18, 2010

"I've loved my experiences with my GTI. It's not the fastest thing on the road, but it's quick enough to have fun with. It's been extremely reliable, and has had no real mechanical issues to speak of in the time that I've owned it. It looks great, it sounds great, it works when I need it to and it's a ton of fun. What more can you ask from a car?"