1997 Volkswagen Golf

7.8

Based on 129 Ratings for the 1993 - 1999 models.

great little guy

By on Monday, June 30, 2008

"i traded my 98 jetta gt for my 96 golf and never looked back. it's been awesome and have taken it up to the mountains, in to the deserts and everywhere in between. besides some small stuff it's been holding up great. the small frame gets in to the tightest parking spots and fairly good fuel economy too. it's not fast but gets around quickly."

Extremely Versatile, High MPG

By on Monday, June 23, 2008

"Since our daughter arrived and we bought a Forrester, our 97 Golf has been downgraded to secondary vehicle. Still a great car though after 117K miles. I took on road trip about a month ago and clocked 36 mpg driving about 65 mph - better than its rating! With a sunroof, you can haul almost anything - 10ft lumber, large area rugs, whatever. Who needs a truck when you can stick it through the sunroof? Bought it new 11 years ago; kept up with regular maintenance and never had a major problem."

By on Sunday, June 1, 2008

Can't beat it

By on Sunday, February 10, 2008

"Unless you're using your golf for rally racing or demolition derby it's a very rewarding car. Gas mileage is by far the greatest perk. It's surprisingly roomy; I can fit in all my camping gear for a week in it for two people. As with any car it requires regular maintenance. The ol' girl still has a couple of years in her and the only reason that I wouldn't get another one is because they stopped making them and the new GTIs look a bit smaller. I'll have to upgrade to a toureg."

Powerful, fun car

By on Monday, January 7, 2008

"I have owned a 97 gti vr6 for about 2years. It has been a blast to drive. The vr6 engine sounds awesome and has great power. Fuel efficiancy is not as good as some vehicles but is still respectible(24mpg mixed town/highway). The only problem I had with my GTi was its reliability. I tended to break down randomly. This vehicle was well maintained(by dealer before me, and local vw shop by me) and I attribute the failures to be due to the high mileage of the vehicle (198000miles). That being said, the vehicle has also held up admirably for the mileage present. It still has its original clutch which runs strong, however it will probably need to be replaced in the nex 5000 miles. The interior has held up with little wear and tear. I would reccomend this car to just about anyone, however make sure you look for one that has had a good history and is not terribly modified, as many of these modifications can reduce reliability."

By on Monday, September 24, 2007

By on Thursday, September 20, 2007

188K + and still kicking!

By on Thursday, August 23, 2007

"the best $15K i've ever spent. been to canada after 176K from Oklahoma. the AC went out after 185K, the first brake job at 105K, the water pump after 115K, but it still got me another 4 hours to my destination packed to the gills, and to work the next day! i love my baby!"

My 3rd VW GOLF

By on Thursday, August 16, 2007

"I love my Golf. The one i have right now is my 3rd so far. I really believe that germany cars are the best and I didn't have any major problems with this car. Fun to drive, easy to park, you can get huge cargo space folding the back seats and you won't be disapointed! Extremely reliable!"

By on Tuesday, July 17, 2007

"Ive owed mine since 2000. great gas mileage. have replaced ignition switch, barrings, gaskets, clutch. all repairs were affordable. i love my VW."