2012 Volkswagen Eos

Based on 177 Ratings for the 2007 - 2016 models.

A day in the clouds

By on Monday, August 27, 2007

"I've loved almost every minute spent driving this car over the past year of ownership. The top is amazing in its construction and versatility. The 2.0Turbo is robust and fun even with the luxury suspension. The sound system is great but may have had an programming bug early on. I think that driving with the top down in the sun couldn't get much better than in an EOS. However, when it rains, it pours. Early production models in the US had some window sensor issues which caused the window to roll down long after the vehicle was locked. Regular maintenance on the seals is required to keep them from leaking and to prevent wind noise. Finally, I've had some issues with leaks that allow water to collect in the car. The one thing that makes or breaks a convertible is if it can withstand rain and the EOS is coming out all wet."

Problems, problems problems

By on Tuesday, March 3, 2009

"We leased the EOS Komfort in May 2008 and after 9 months and 7500 miles I can report the following issues. Three leaks in the coolant system causing the light to light up and eventually a full rplacement of the tank and lines over 3 separate full day visits. The optional ipod adapter broke ($500+ fix if not under warranty). As many already know, the windows go down slightly in order to open or close the door. However, after 6 months, ours continued to shutter up and down while you were driving. The temporary solution was to drive with the windows 1" down so they would not cycle up and down 60 times a minute (actual rate). After a month of troubleshooting and waiting for the part (starter sensor) it is now fixed. It was not a fun car to drive in January in the northeast. We also drove the car for 9 months with a very bad transmission problem. Initially, we were told that this was not a transmission problem, but that the acceleration lag was inherent in the EOS. Unfortunately, it became signifiacantly worse and dangerous. From neutral to first, there was considerable play in the gas pedal without any acceleration and then it would suddenly shift into gear and peel out! BTW this is the 6 speed automatic. On any incline it was unsafe especially if there was a car behind you and another in front. There was also a pronounced clunk in the shift to first gear. After finally mentioning that it was dangerous, dealer performed the $2900 warranty work and it now drives well. They later admitted that some cars have this issue and there is a fix in place, but I guess they don't offer it until it becomes unbearable. Otherwise, the idea of a hard top convertible with a moonroof is great. Engine is lively and car is appointed well compared to similar cars. I would say the initial value is good, but reliability and quality are a huge concern. We leased because we did not want to get stuck if there were major issues. These are major and I would not want to keep this car for the long term. We will be happy if we are finished with repairs, but will dump it at the end. If there are more issues, I have already investigated the lemon law requirements. It is just not worth the hassle to keep getting it repaired."

Swiss Army knife of cars

By on Saturday, February 2, 2008

"1. Overall experience: Solid, tight feeling car with terrific engine and transmissition (2.0Turbo 4 & DSG 6 speed Auto). The 2.0 4 is so good that I am not sure why anybody would spend more for the 3.2L 6. Very quiet with top up, not claustrophobic due to big sunroof, and most wouldn't guess it was a convertible. With top down, it is even more fun. 2. Reliability of roof: Early buyers have had issues with leaking seals ( 5 piece roof means several seals which potentially can lead to problems). However, a terrific product from Dupont called Krytox can be used to maintain the seals and prevent leakage (details on VWvortex Forums). So far, no issues with mine. 3. Has an easy to access, usable back seat. Still, they are best for kids and mine have no complaints. 4. Trunk space with top down is better than expected. If you pack it full, you may need to let the top up to get your baggage out. However, it still has a back seat for extra storage space. No regrets after buying this car, as long as reliability doesn't become an issue."

Love it

By on Saturday, September 29, 2012

Pros: "Great handling. Responsive. Solid feel."

Cons: "Few cup holders. Little interior storage."

"Great handling. Responsive. Great pickup. Solid feel. Awesome hard top convertible allows 30 second convert so there is never any weather concerns. Stylish body. Best value for the money. Has been very reliable thus far. Could use more cup holders and has very little interior storage with a small glove box. When I get another car it will just be a newer model of this exact same car. Love it."

Great Car Except for the Oil you need in the trunk

By on Monday, June 11, 2012

Pros: "hard top convertible that is fun to drive"

Cons: "oil burning"

"I love my car and even after almost 5 years it still turns heads when I take the roof down. The issue with this car that little that it burns oil. With the full synthetic 5W40 oil (only 2 brands made that meet VW standards in US), the owner's manual states oil changes at 5 to 10K miles. My car will burn through about 2 to 3 quarts of oil every 5K. This started happening about year 2 of ownership. The dealer did tests and said the car was not burning too much oil. Reading the other sites, many other owners with cars a few years old have this same problem. If you do not mind having a few quarts of oil in your trunk at all times, it is a great car."

Best convertible for price by far

By on Wednesday, February 18, 2009

"I evaluated several convertibles including domestics, volvo, saab, audi, and bmw. Only one that i liked better was the bmw. However at $20K more than the eos, the VW gets the nod. The gas mileage, comfort, performance and features are amazing for this small car that actually weighs over 3700 lbs. I have had no problems to date at 28K miles. The hardtop convertible with the glass moonroof is special and particularly desirable for me. I average 30 miles to the gallon in mixed driving (60% city and 40% hwy)."

Do not buy

By on Saturday, November 15, 2008

"I purchased an Eos Komfort in April 2008 and there are three MAJOR issues that VW tells me are unfixable. 1. Radio - the radio antenna is located in the the trunk! So, the satellite stations go in and out repetitively, the FM stations actually switch around and the am is 80% static and I cannot even listen to the local sports games. Attempts were made to replace the radio but the dealership admitted that all their Eos have the same problem... 2. rain actually lands in your lap when you stop and turn off the car if it is raining outside. because the car is a hardtop convertible the windows drop slightly when you remove the key in order for the door to be opened. Rain immediately POURS along the roof seam into the car, along the internal roof seam and drips/pours directly into your lap. The dealership says its inherant in the design of the roof and there is nothing they can do about it. 3. Again, the windows. The passenger window drops when someone enters and is supposed to go back up but often (inconsistantly) it does not and you'll find that you are driving with a partially open window letting rain in along the passenger side. Do NOT BUY THIS CAR until they resolve these issues. despite some very clever ideas (the roof and retractible moonroof combo) these issues will make the car unacceptable in everyday driving."

Fun and Powerful

By on Sunday, May 11, 2008

"I have had my 2007 EOS for over a year now, and still love to drive it. Coming from the 6 cyl passat I enjoy having the power, and the fun is unbelievable. I get great mileage and have had no problems with the seals, even with the Florida heat. The EOS causes a lot of double takes from people. It's the "Transformer Car". The front seats are very spacious and the crontrols are easy to access. The only two "wish were availables" are memory seats and hands free telephone. With the windscreens and windows up there is virtually no issue with wind even on the interstate. Have had many people with the more expensive makes compliment the EOS on comfort and options. I love the fact that I have all the comforts of the more expensive cars at the VW price. I highly recommend the EOS to anyone who loves to drive. The car handles great and is fun to drive."

Awesome car.

By on Thursday, September 19, 2013

Pros: "wonderful to drive, reliable and super fun"

Cons: "A bit pricey and the interior could be more luxe"

"The EOS is sporty, reliable and yet practical. It can scoot around corners at speed but also carry a full load of groceries in the trunk. It's stylish and really good fun to drive. I used to drive a BMW 1-series convertible. The driving agility and performance of the Eos is on a par with the Beamer, but driving a hard top with a big moonroof beats the heck out of driving a tent."

Nice but Problematic

By on Saturday, August 23, 2008

"I have had this car for about 1.5 years and over 17k miles. The price was right for a hardtop convertible. And it is the only one on the market with a sunroof, so there is no comparision there. Pros: Sunroof AND convertible, fun and snappy to drive, nice fuel mileage, gets tons of looks. Decent trunk room for a hard top convertible. It is not a sports car, but handles nicely. The DSG transmission is great and the stero sounds nice. Cons: I have returned to the dealer 5 times for warrantly repairs. My faults include SIX different check engine lights, a broke A/C compressor, windows acting wrong, windows freeze in the winter (bad situation for framless windows), screws falling out of the trunk, two different radio problems, a rattle in the dash, emergency brake handle cover fell off and the worst part is the speedo is off. The seats are uncomfortable. They are really stiff on the sides and dig into your legs. ***Make note, VW calibrates their speedo off by upto 10%. I drive 70 mph on the speedo and it is actually going 63. VW knows about this and says that is standard. They will not change it. With all of the problems above, I realize why VW was rated in the upper 30s out of nearly 40 car manufacturer's for reliability. Just because it is a new car does not mean much these days. It has the same engine as almost 10 other cars and the same transmission, a/c, radio, etc as others, not sure why it would work in a differnt model and not this one."

The funnest car ever!!

By on Monday, September 19, 2016

"I have only had my car for 3 weeks, but what a ride she is. The car is a cruiser, yet I put it into Sport on my way home one day, and it flew!! Beautiful paint, comfortable interior, and super fun to drive. I haven't had time to read the manual, so I am finding new things about the car everyday."

Hardtop great; turbo terrrific

By on Thursday, March 7, 2013

Pros: "great price; gotta love the hardtop; great turbo"

Cons: "it's not summer year round here."

"The convertible hardtop is hard to beat; with the supplied noise baffles, it's surprisingly quiet on the highway. And with the turbo, the pick up and handling is terrific. It's what you'd expect from a more expensive sports car."

Perfect for NE

By on Thursday, February 23, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, sexy, hardtop covertible"

Cons: "Struggles in blizzards (its not an SUV)"

"I absolutely love my car. Its great for all seasons. Granted, when we have our New England winters it can be slick, but given this winter has been so mild and beautiful I couldn't be happier with my car. Love it. It has a small back seat so if you regularly have multiple passengers I'm told its tight back there. But for you and a passenger its just right. Heated seats are fantastic in morning. When it's really cold, (I mean teens all week) the windows can get frozen and then you cannot open the car door because they must release about a centimeter to open the car door safely. My solution is if you bought an automatic car starter and put your defrosters on the night before you would be good to go in the morning!"

Great set of wheels

By on Wednesday, August 15, 2007

"Only have had the car for 3 weeks now but so far it has performed without a single problem....I am concerned about care for the top seals, getting the right stuff & doing it often enough so will never be leak!! But the EOS is fun to drive, has plenty of power, and the top is a real watcher!! & the DSG 6 sp auto trans is super smooth. Well done VW."

Disappointed

By on Tuesday, November 9, 2010

"We've had this car just over 2 years now. At first I loved it and would have given 5 stars, so it's lucky I've waited to review it. First the bad news. We've had some minor issues - cold weather windows not going down so if the door is opened you cannot get it to close completely because of the window; leaks in heavy rains on the driver side; making an annoying clicking noise when sitting still in traffic. There is also the maintenance costs - very expensive oil changes and even the wiper blades cost a bit more (and that is 3rd party not through the dealership). I'm thankful the car is still under warranty but am real concerned about the future and will hate to be making payments and paying for expensive repairs due to poor quality! The good news - it's fun during the summer. There is an "Aux" in the console you can use to hook up your music devices (I bought a cheap adapter for my iPhone instead of paying the dealer to install their iPod adapter). The fuel economy is decent. Other than that, it's your typical vehicle. In winter driving it's been okay, not outstanding but not terrible. The performance is a bit lack luster and you sometimes wish for a bit more power, especially pulling out into traffic. That being said, it does get moving and can give you a bit of fun driving. There were a few reviews that mentioned the transmission problem - we've just had that fixed as VW has sent out "recall" notices to have a part replaced. We have another car that is the main "family car" since the car seat is in it, although we have used the Eos at times for family outings. The back seats can be a bit tight depending on how much room is needed for the driver & front passenger. In conclusion, I still like the car but am just concerned about the quality and reliability. I just have a feeling that once the warranty runs out, things are going to get expensive! Being in Chicago where it can get a bit cold during the winters, I am concerned about the leaks and windows not shutting. Last year with my 1.5 yr old son in the back, the passenger window went back up prior to us closing the door and it wouldn't go back down, so we had to close the door best we could and drive with a small gap between window and car frame allowing the cold air into the car (while we were on the expressway). I kept trying to get the window to work on the way home (even pulling off to see if I could get it to work after the car warmed up) but it refused to budge. The dealership couldn't find anything wrong so we'll see how this winter goes."

FUN FUN FUN

By on Monday, May 5, 2008

"I have the wonderful pleasure of leasing this car. This is a blast to drive. The only down fall is the fact I can only put 15000 miles on a year. This car can turn heads just sitting down. The neighbor children will come running the first few times they see the top go down or up while nick naming the car ‘transformer”. I average around 27 miles to the gallon. There is nothing like putting in a stressful day, dropping the top and opening the car up for your drive home. What do I love – The push of a button and the roof is up or down. I can drive with the top down. Park at the mall with the top up and feel secure. Trunk space is fabulous. I can carry a case of water and my brief case along with other items in the trunk with the top down. The only complaint (s) – Sirius satellite vs XM. That and I can only drive 15000 miles a year. I have only put on 9000 miles but have had ZERO problems or concerns."

Buy It

By on Thursday, January 10, 2008

"Good styling, good economy, good performance. Trunk space and rear seat cramped but to be expected in a compact coupe. I have the 2008, LUX model and was dissappointed that it didn't have Homelink or that Bluetooth wasn't offered without the Nav system like in other cars in its price range"

Fabulous

By on Sunday, August 26, 2007

"Great performance, great looks -- this car looks rich and acts rich. The huge sunroof makes you feel as if you are driving with the top down all the time. The car handles like a dream and the tranmission and engine are smooth and quiet. Very good gas mileage. Interior is luxurious, gorgeous, roomy and comfortable. Front seat wind control is excellent with the deflector. The back seat is very windy, however, as deflector cannot be used (obviously) with back seat passengers. We are delighted with this car and wish we had 2 of them."

One Great Car

By on Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Pros: "Great all around car! Never a problem or concern"

Cons: "Premium Gas"

My Buddy At The Beach!

"I have had this car since new and have taken it on several trips to Florida, Atlanta, Chicago, Milwaukee, Toronto, New York. It is my daily driver and love this car in Winter, Spring, SUMMER"

My Buddy At The Beach!

Looking forward to a long relationship

By on Saturday, April 30, 2011

"Just bought the Eos Komfort having downsized from A Mountaineer. I love this car! It's well equipped at the base model. It's fun to drive, head turning and has way more pick up than I expected. I do wish there was more storage up front. The glove compartment is small and there's no storage between the seats. I'm making the pocket on the door work but it's definitely an adjustment coming from an SUV. On the upside, the trunk actually holds quite a bit, even with the top down. The sunroof is awesome!!! My favorite thing is telling people it's a convertible with a sunroof. Most people have no idea this car even exists. And, I've been in it about a week and have yet to see another one on the road and I really like that."

I LOVE THIS CAR!

By on Sunday, November 1, 2009

"This is perhaps the most fun I've ever had with a car. It's precise handling, the unbelievable zero to 60 speed (for a four cylinder car), the turning radius, the sexy style. I have only found two negative points regarding this car. One, for a fully equipped car, it amazes me that you MUST manually turn the headlights on and off. I can't believe they don't turn off if you forget to click them off. The other then, and this is odd for a convertible, is that when you have the top down, there is no way to lock your trunk (with other convertibles that I have owned, you are able to disable the truck lock switch in the door... which you cannot disable with this car). That leave you with NO secure storage space if you have your top down. This was a silly thing for VW to forget when making this car. Other than those two items, this is by far the best car I have ever owned. If VW fixes these two items, they will have created, in my opinion, the perfect car!""

By on Thursday, January 31, 2008

"Great car, expensive to maintain though, my fault for not researching prior to purchase. Fun to drive and love the hardtop convertible. Small back seat, but that is expected with a car of this size. Head turner and I get a lot of compliments on it."

Great around town car

By on Saturday, March 24, 2012

Pros: "Sunroof"

Cons: "Wheels spin, expensive, premium gas..."

"At first I really liked my car and thought i just needed get used to it. After over a year the speed doesn't stay constant (even with cruise control) and its impossible to keep straight. The weight of the car isn't heavy enough for it's power so the wheels spin out constanty. As a little around town car I'm sure it would be great, but for car trips over two hours it's a pain. BUT The convertible down is GREAT, the heated seats are fantastic, it has an amazing sound system, and the sun roof is giant!"

FUN CAR

By on Tuesday, March 3, 2015

"LOVE MY CAR! ONLY COMPLAIN IS THEAT IT DOES NOT HAVE A REARSENSOR WHEN I BACK UP."

Great idea.

By on Saturday, November 19, 2011

Pros: "Fun, GREAT GAS MILAGE! Turbo!"

Cons: "Few cup holders Small baskseat, Carseats DO NO FIT"

"I currently own A VW EOS, I have had it for almost a year. I lived in Portland Oregon for a majority of the time and was looking for a convertible I could use once we moved to a warmer climate. After a crime spree in the area I was nervous to get a convertible due to cut ins in the top. This was the perfect fit for what I needed. PROS: This is an amazing car. Drives great. Love the Turbo. And when the top is down the stereo is amazing. Looks pretty cool putting the top down. Transformer... Fantastic gas milage CONS: like all convertibles small back seat. Cannot fit a carseat properly. And after driving from Portland to Phoenix I will never sit in the back seat again... not meant for long drives with passengers in the back seat."