1998 Volkswagen Cabrio Consumer Reviews

Fun summer car - economical too

By on Monday, April 7, 2008

"I have owned my 99 cabrio for a bit over three years and have to say it has served me well as a great summer car although I drive it all year round. Its decent in snow believe it or not. The one drawback is power: you have to push it to get above 80 on the highway (but that's breaking the law where I come from). Also because it is a convertible it is a bit loud to drive on highways. I have had a few VWs and this one's far better better than most. The styling is good and is aging nicely (much better than Jettas) Its also still really fun. If you are looking for a decently priced summer car that's great for cruising around town, hitting the beach or just having fun this is the best choice for less than 7,00 dollars. You can comfortably fit four average sized adults in the car and the trunk is ample enough for a bit of equipment. I would not recommend this if your intention is lots of road trips. - Ted"

Great value

By on Friday, December 14, 2007

"I purchased my Cabrio GL 3 years ago with 81,000 miles on it. Now it has 148,000 miles on it, with virtually no maintenance. Mobil 1 fully synthetic oil every 8,000 miles, just last week a new top, all 4 wheel bearings (within 5,000 miles), and the driver's side window lifter. Parts and repairs are ridiculously expensive, but the 33MPG average (!!!) makes up for a lot of that. Fun car to drive, kinda noisy, ice cold AC, overall a great value!"

Excellent Vehicle!

By on Monday, November 7, 2011

"I purchased my 1999 vw cabrio GLS over a year ago as my first car. It had 63K miles on it and I am the third owner. The good: heated seats(!), power-down windows, original top has NEVER leaked, great mpg (approx 32 mpg when I went to Wisconsin), small and practical (can fit in ANY parking spot), safe and extremely solid and smooth for such a small car, lots of room in the backseats compared to any other 2 dr car, very reliable. I feel a lot safer than a lot of other cars! Super fun in the summer! The bad: the cupholders are annoying...a pop can fits nice but no large drinks, I had the front wheel barings replaced shortly after I purchased it (couldn've been the person before me), the speedometer/tachometer recently quite working...I need a new instrument cluster which will cost $850. They said it rarely happens, but it happened...that one is the big kicker. I had the [automatic] transmission checked...doesn't shift well in cold weather. The mechanic said that it's a small summer car with a small amount of tranny fluid so I let it run in the winter for a few min. before I drive. It does fine in the summer, it just doesn't like the cold. It does fine if I let her run for 10 min. in the morning before work. The AC didn't work when I bought it. I had the frian recharged in the spring for $20 and the AC still works (pin hole leak?). We've never got stuck in the snow...it does super well for only being front wheel drive...never kept me from getting up the steap driveway. Other than the things above, everything else works PERFECT in this car. This car is expensive to fix, but the reliablility is well worth it. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone! It has been a great vehicle for how much I drive around!"

1. My Information

* indicates required field.

Do not use your full name or email address; your privacy is important to us.

Location

2. My Rating

Use sliders to change values.

3. My Review

(e.g., best vehicle ever!) *

(Please no personal or dealership information or offensive language.) *

Not LikelyVery Likely

click & drag!
(e.g., great price, fun to drive)
(e.g., no cup holders)
Tips for Writing Reviews
Avoid:
  • Offensive or suggestive comments
  • Telling customers to shop elsewhere

Focus on:
  • The vehicle and your experience with it
  • Specific features of the vehicle
  • What's great about it? What's not so great?

4. My Uploads

Add photo (up to 5MB)

Uploading Photo...

upload successful! Remove
(e.g., Driving with the top down!)

Guidelines for Uploading Photos
  • Only one photo, up to 5MB
  • Focus on the vehicle and your experience with it
  • All photos must be your own
  • No nudity or obscene content
  • Inappropriate photos will cause your entire review to be rejected
Add video (only one allowed)
(paste the URL from your video on YouTube.)
(e.g., See it in action!)
Guidelines for Uploading Video
  • Maximum length: 5 minutes
  • No nudity or obscene content
  Important:
  • Focus on the vehicle and your experience with it
  • Write a caption
  • Upload your video to YouTube
  • Stick to the rules - so your review & video get published.

5. Notify Me

Please send me an email when my review is posted