1996 Volkswagen Cabrio

7.3

Based on 100 Ratings for the 1995 - 1999 models.

Fun summer car - economical too

By on Monday, April 7, 2008

"I have owned my 99 cabrio for a bit over three years and have to say it has served me well as a great summer car although I drive it all year round. Its decent in snow believe it or not. The one drawback is power: you have to push it to get above 80 on the highway (but that's breaking the law where I come from). Also because it is a convertible it is a bit loud to drive on highways. I have had a few VWs and this one's far better better than most. The styling is good and is aging nicely (much better than Jettas) Its also still really fun. If you are looking for a decently priced summer car that's great for cruising around town, hitting the beach or just having fun this is the best choice for less than 7,00 dollars. You can comfortably fit four average sized adults in the car and the trunk is ample enough for a bit of equipment. I would not recommend this if your intention is lots of road trips. - Ted"

Great value

By on Friday, December 14, 2007

"I purchased my Cabrio GL 3 years ago with 81,000 miles on it. Now it has 148,000 miles on it, with virtually no maintenance. Mobil 1 fully synthetic oil every 8,000 miles, just last week a new top, all 4 wheel bearings (within 5,000 miles), and the driver's side window lifter. Parts and repairs are ridiculously expensive, but the 33MPG average (!!!) makes up for a lot of that. Fun car to drive, kinda noisy, ice cold AC, overall a great value!"

Excellent Vehicle!

By on Monday, November 7, 2011

"I purchased my 1999 vw cabrio GLS over a year ago as my first car. It had 63K miles on it and I am the third owner. The good: heated seats(!), power-down windows, original top has NEVER leaked, great mpg (approx 32 mpg when I went to Wisconsin), small and practical (can fit in ANY parking spot), safe and extremely solid and smooth for such a small car, lots of room in the backseats compared to any other 2 dr car, very reliable. I feel a lot safer than a lot of other cars! Super fun in the summer! The bad: the cupholders are annoying...a pop can fits nice but no large drinks, I had the front wheel barings replaced shortly after I purchased it (couldn've been the person before me), the speedometer/tachometer recently quite working...I need a new instrument cluster which will cost $850. They said it rarely happens, but it happened...that one is the big kicker. I had the [automatic] transmission checked...doesn't shift well in cold weather. The mechanic said that it's a small summer car with a small amount of tranny fluid so I let it run in the winter for a few min. before I drive. It does fine in the summer, it just doesn't like the cold. It does fine if I let her run for 10 min. in the morning before work. The AC didn't work when I bought it. I had the frian recharged in the spring for $20 and the AC still works (pin hole leak?). We've never got stuck in the snow...it does super well for only being front wheel drive...never kept me from getting up the steap driveway. Other than the things above, everything else works PERFECT in this car. This car is expensive to fix, but the reliablility is well worth it. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone! It has been a great vehicle for how much I drive around!"

Yes....but......

By on Wednesday, September 19, 2007

"I purchased this car new for a bit over $25K, now 8 years later it's only worth close to $5.....not great in my opinion. I have had lots and lots of electrical issues from the beginning: rear side windows don't always open and close, cruise control is very hit & miss (mainly miss), and the top no longer works automatically (thank God it can be opened manually). Oh yea, and I had to replace the engine 2 years ago at about 70K. BESIDES ALL THAT....I do love my car! It is zippy, great pickup, the A/C absolutely rocks, the seats are ultra comfortable, and I've had no leakage problems from the top. The ride is pretty darn loud, which makes it tough to ever make any calls, but I expect that the same can be said for most convertibles. MY ADVICE....if you can buy this car for under $5K go for it. You will have a lot of fun driving it."

Love It

By on Sunday, April 6, 2008

"I love my little 99' Cabrio. I named her Lady. Go ahead, laugh, but I love her! Its cute, fun, great on gas, and reliable. Repairs are costly, but its a foreign car so that is par for the course. There have been a few issues - the motor on the top went out so it has to be done manually, I've had to replace the air conditioning, and now I have to replace some other airpump and a battery - but it is nearly 10 years old so I can't complain. The rollbar makes me feel safer since it is after all a convertible, it is less windy than other convertibles I have driven, and the heated seats keep me cozy when I put the top down on cooler days. My gas mileage is terrific - a huge plus when gas is well over three dollars a gallon! Is it the fastest car? No, but I've never cared much for that kind of thing anyway. This car gets me to work everytime, is fun and cute on the way to the beach, and is so easy to park! I'll never be the girl scooting back and forth to get my big gas guzzling vehicle into a parking spot, she zips into place the first time, EVERY time! (I also never take up an entire lane of traffic when turning left, she fits right into the space in the median!)"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Volkswagen Cabrio near Honolulu. See local deals