2012 Toyota Yaris

Based on 34 Ratings for the 2012 - 2018 models.

Great long term car!

By on Thursday, July 28, 2016

Pros: "Cost to own, reliability, mpg, fun to drive"

Cons: "Can get noisy at times"

"My Yaris has been a great car. It is a simple, honest car and in my opinion a much better car for the long term than most of its competitors. My car has 200,000 miles on it and it really doesn't feel much different than when it was new. Still tight, solid and rattle free. Maintenance is simple and dirt cheap and it never, ever gives any trouble. I always get at least 37 mpg which is above the EPA highway rating. The car is nimble and pretty fun to drive although the engine does get loud at the higher rpm ranges. The seats are comfortable for me but a little more driver leg room would be nice. My very long commute involves twisting mountain roads, interstate highways and city traffic and it handles everything fine although high winds can blow it around a bit on the highway but probably no worse than other cars its size. Overall I love my Yaris. If your looking for a sports or luxury car look elsewhere. If what you want is a simple, money saving car the Yaris simply can't be beat."

Been great with almost 6k miles now.

By on Thursday, October 4, 2012

Pros: "Easy to drive, mpg, reliable, comfortable, handles"

Cons: "small gas tank, no spare tire, not fast"

"Handles well on the highway, great on gas. Getting 40+ mpg at all times. Oil changes every 10k. I'm waiting to see how it does in the snow."

Best Kept Secret

By on Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Pros: "Too many to list"

Cons: "No armrest, easily fixed with leather pillow"

"I rented many vehicles from Enterprise and Hertz to "live with" all the models I was considering (and to see how they had held-up with all the different crazy drivers they see), and the Yaris' were always "tight and right" regardless of how many rental-car thrashing miles were on them...except one particular Yaris (I rented 3 different Yaris' once I narrowed my search down) that had been wrecked and had a very worn tire that roared on the highway. But it still drove pretty good considering what it had been through and they were still renting it out. This is not a high volume seller for Toyota because of the Corolla and Prius C being priced slightly higher than the Yaris. That is a shame, for it might possibly be one of their best built cars. I love the fact that it has the bullet-proof 1.5L engine and old-tech transmission that have been around for "many" years with used one's out there in the 300+ thousand- mile range with very little (if any) problems. Plenty of space for larger people, great legroom in back. Trunk space kinda small with rear seats up, but fold them down?....and you get a "lot" of room back there (enough for two people to go to the beach for a week or camping for a week). Rides great, gas mileage is great, it is pretty quiet on the road (never understood how the Car Magazines said it is noisy....try a Rio5 when it is cold...sounds like a blender grating ice. That worried me when the Rio5 salesman said "That is Gas Direct Injection Technology, it quiets down once it warms up" I did not like that at all. And many small cars are going to that Gas Direct Injection...except the Yaris..."yay"). The old-tech transmission on the Yaris is a smooth, very simple automatic transmission that does not need 5th or 6th gearing. It is a road cruiser! It keeps up with and passes traffic plenty-fine...quite peppy once broken-in correctly! The simplicity of the car is what attracted me compared to Rio5, Accent, Fiesta, Fiat, Versa and Fit. Did not try the Mazda2 due to past experience with that company. The Yaris' just felt better built than those others and too many features eventually break after time and are not cheap to fix. The only thing I do not like is that the dash and door panels can mark-up easily (have to keep a microfiber towel around) and the bluetooth has cut-out on me once in a while...probably the fault of my flip phone and no tachometer except on the SE Model. But I do enjoy this car. Sure, I could have bought something more exciting, but the Yaris is fun, simple, comfortable and the "VERY Simple Maintenance" requirements make it a great value as well. It does not pretend to be something it is not. I got it for a very fair price...some dealers are willing to deal. It has the features you truly only need (power everything, remote, tilt, a/c, cruise, great stereo, bluetooth)and nothing more. It is worth a look."

great car to save in space and gas but it shakes !

By on Wednesday, March 13, 2013

"You can expect amazing if you have a toyota Yaris...expect also in windy whether that the car shakes in the highway and really is hard to control the steering. I think people in Toyota should work on this because is the only defect I can mention ..."

Love it!

By on Sunday, December 8, 2013

Pros: "trunk, gas mileage, turn radius, responsive"

Cons: "no armrest"

"No lie, when I first got it, I was like, what have I done?! After a few days with it, I don't think I'm ever getting rid of it. I love the spacious cabin; it's huge. Bluetooth comes standard, fun to drive, and it looks pretty good too. I had it for a week and people were giving me compliments. I love that it's small but still drives like a predator. Parking is a breeze, particularly parallel parking and even tight spots are no problem. Trunk plus drop down seats, there isn't anything my car can't haul. My car can get around anything and everything. K-Turns? This car doesn't know what that is. The turn radius is ridiculous! Usually, it's a two-point turn even on a tiny street! During Hurricane Sandy, there were cars lined up behind downed trees and small spaces. I had no problem getting through and, not to mention, gas on this guy, I'll go three to four weeks without filling up and when I do, it's no more than $40. Negatives, no armrest, but I easily purchased a universal one and you'd never be able to tell it didn't come with it. I could go on forever on the topic to why I love this car. I'm having fun customizing it and really making it my own. Even when I do get a new car, I'm pretty sure I'm going to keep Trooper around."