2009 Toyota Yaris

Based on 794 Ratings for the 2007 - 2011 models.

Best vehicle I ever bought

By on Friday, February 21, 2014

Pros: "ex.value. safe. great pickup.fuel economy"

Cons: "seats not as comfortable as they could be."

"I bought this car new in 2006 although it is a 2007 model and have driven it all over east coast. This car has never let me down. She handles beautifully and for a 4 cylinder has great pick up. With 239,000+ miles on her she still consistently gives me 37 mpg in city and 40 hwy. I change oil every 5,000 miles but only real work I have had done is a new alternator and serpentine belt around 200,000 miles. New front brakes around 215,000 mi and in fact I am still running the original rear brake pads and they still look good after almost 8 years! I am also still using original clutch and it remains nice and tight with no slippage. I love this car! It is hands down the absolute best car I have ever bought and there is no better value or reliability for the money."

A value: cheap to own and run, fun to drive

By on Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Pros: "Cheap to run, fix, maintain"

Cons: "Style, no tachometer, slightly uncomfortable"

"I did a few things to my car like adding the factory sway bar, spolier, and some aftermarket rear lights and fog lights...so it doesn't look like other Yaris's. It also gave it much better handling and looks. The manual 5-speed makes this very quick and I suprise many people by keeping up with sports cars off the line...yet I average almost 40 mpgs! While small cars are not for everyone I have saved a considerable amount of money on gas and maintenance....I've don 99% of the work myself. The brakes lasted over 155k!"

Quality, excellent MPG, reliable

By on Saturday, January 7, 2012

Pros: "MPG, reliability, quality"

"Over the last two years I have driven over 140000 miles in this car. The only trouble I have had is the gas gauge stopped working at 120000 miles. It doesn't register below 1/4 tank, so I just fuel at 1/4 now. I have been hit 2 times by deer in this car, and only have a ripple in the rear pannel. The car is also excellent in snow. I have drove this car in conditions most people would not be on the road and made it everytime. I purchased this car because I spend a lot of time on the road and I never thought I would be so happy with a car."

Fantastic Milage

By on Thursday, May 12, 2011

"Somehow I think they have under rated this car on gas milage... we still get 39 mpg Hwy 33 City after 50,000 miles. We just put on new tires and a new air filter which definitely helped it get back those numbers. One piece of advice, buy good quality replacement tires, the originals never gave this car as good a ride as these do. So far repair free too."

By on Monday, September 24, 2007

"I have had my Yaris 5spd 4dr for over a year now. Love the car. I put almost 3500 miles on the car in one week for my honeymoon (yes we were quite comfortable). We averaged 43 MPG over that 3500 miles. I generally get 40+ in the Virginia mountains on a 100 mile round trip commute and extensive in town driving is about 38 MPG. For a non-hybrid car it is most efficient, there are times I wish I had a 6th gear on the 5spd trans. This car can pull a mountain at 90MPH and more if the road would allow (2occupants), in 5th gear I might add. The drink holders, while they seem odd at first, are much more convenient than those down on the shift console of other cars. Like another reviewer, deer extensively damaged mine, however I was able to drive it to the repair shop 30 miles away. On the downside, the material covering the seats could be a bit better quality, they are comfortable but look cheap and are starting to show wear (I have almost 30000 on the car). All in all, it's a great little car. This is my first Toyota, but will not be my last."

Nice commuter/family car

By on Wednesday, September 12, 2007

"We were one of the first to buy a Yaris in Connecticut. We special ordered ours with the power pack and 5 speed. For what this car is at $15,000 it's the best value going! You can buy a Corolla for the same price, but it won't have power options or cruise control. I drive this car 110 miles a day, 5 days a week. It gets excellent gas mileage and is pretty comfortable drive drive. We have taken many long road trips and have found the car a joy to drive. The power is adequate, especially with the 5 speed. We have managed to wreck the car twice. We hit a deer head-on at 40 mph and messed the front end up pretty good. We drove it 300 miles home and had it repaired. Both times, we were not hurt and the cars' crumple zones worked great. A previous poster commented to not drive the car in deep snow. I'm not sure how deep they were referring to, but I found the car to handle deep snow 4"+ fine. Better than I expected it to actually. We do not use snow tires and have had no problems. At 25,000 miles we have had no mechanical problems and expect the car to go to 150,000 miles with no issues."

Yaris is a Winner w/me

By on Saturday, August 4, 2007

"Bought my Yaris Hatchback in Feb. 2007, and have driven 27,000 miles. Absolutely no problems. The car is solid construction, and gets me up to hwy speeds with no problem. Yes, the road bumps can be felt, but it's a small car and the suspension is tight and no rattles. The car is alot of fun to drive anywhere, and the gas mileage is averaging around 41-44 Hwy. Plenty of leg room front and back and I like the feel of the electric steering. Overall this car is a better option than at 13K than it's Hybrid cousin at 22K."

This car delivers like Dominos!

By on Monday, July 16, 2007

"There are so many good things to say about this car. The gas milage, for one, is one of the best you can get in a non-hybrid car... Considering the lowest priced Prius is a cool 10k more, it's also not bad on the pocketbook. One might be afraid of the room in a "subcompact," but this car is ALL CABIN! I had a boat of a Buick before, and even that had less cabin space. And with the edition of 2 extra glove compartments, space for papers isn't a concern either. The downfalls are minimal. The lack of *anything* standard can bring the price up very quickly. The centered speedometer and odometer can confuse some people, and the lack of trunk space can be felt for anyone doing a lot of hauling or traveling. All in all, this car is a great deal. Coupled with the reliability of a toyota motor, you'll drive it twice as long and spend half the gas!"

This car is just great!!

By on Wednesday, July 4, 2007

"My car is going to be 1 year in less than a week and I love it!!! The performance is great, and the gas mileage is just amazing! I have the 4-door S Sedan fully loaded which is really hard to get! The only thing I didn't like at first was that it feels like I have no front end when I'm driving. But I'm use to it and it doesn't bother me anymore. I went from a 2000 Nissan Altima and I was worried. I bought the Yaris 2 weeks before my 20th birthday, and felt that I wouldn't like it because it was smaller. BUT..it suprised me and I was instantly in love with this car. 11,000 miles on it so far, and it's running great. Toyota is my favorite company and I'm so thrilled to own this car."

My First Car :)

By on Monday, January 16, 2017

Pros: "Great gas mileage, fun to drive, easy to park"

Cons: "NONE!"

"I got this car used about a month ago and I love it. I did extensive research before I bought it and I concluded that it is a safe little car. I went to look at it and my dad, who is hard to please, fell in love with it. It is in the color Absolutely Red, I have named it Rudolph and it is not hard to find in the parking lot! As for speed, it takes a little while to get fast but if you prefer to drive slower or do not go on the highway frequently, it would not be a problem. My siblings say that the seats are uncomfortable but driving for a half an hour, I have had no problems. There is a decent amount of space for the Hatchback model and you can fit some in the trunk and if you happen to have a lot of groceries, there's plenty of room in the back seat. I think the coolest thing about this car is that it has a timing chain, not a belt, so a girl like me who doesn't know much about it does not have to worry about getting the timing belt replaced. Also, the new only retailed for $16,000 and you can get it for a good deal. My car has 111,000 miles on it and my mechanic who has been in the business for 30 years said that it is going to last me for awhile. I needed the car for the commute to school and to go to another school in the middle of the day and it has proven to be great so far, just needs a little gas going up hills (that was one of my concerns because one school resides on a huge hill but it got up no problem). I really love my Yaris and I would not trade it for a brand new car. A bright red car is going to be my ride for my college years to come :)"

Great car.

By on Saturday, August 13, 2016

Pros: "reliability, compact, gas mileage"

Cons: "seat discomfort, engine noise"

"I bought my 2011 Toyota yaris hatchback brand new. I have been driving it for a little over 5 years now, and I currently have 75K miles on it. This is the most reliable car I have ever owned. I have had absolutely no problems with it yet. I have only had to get the routine maintenance done such as oil changes and tire rotations. I have driven across the country in this car a few times with no problems. I have had very long commutes with 40 to 50 miles one way with no problems. It is such a compact car that it is very easy to maneuver and park it, which is great if you live in a more urban area. The gas mileage is great too, I usually get at least 30 mpg, if not more. The only things I wish were better about this car is the seat comfort and the engine noise. The seats are not that comfortable, which may make your back feel worse during longer commutes or during trips. The engine is also very noisy while driving. However, I can easily deal with the seat discomfort and engine noise of this car for the reliability. I don't plan on trading this car in anytime soon. I anticipate that I will get many more miles out of this car with no problems."

great car

By on Thursday, June 9, 2016

Cons: "not enough trunk space"

"I bought this car in 2011 new with a extra warranty for 8 years and have almost 3 years left on it .. took in each time it needed a oil change and check up always in great shape. I have not driven many miles on her and am under 32000 miles. needs shampooing and has 2 small inch dings in drivers door , nothing than cant be pulled out ```very small``` a few driving scratches that can be buffed out easy. not deep ones . other than shampooing and buffing shes a beauty still. ty Jewels"

great economy car and gave saver

By on Saturday, February 28, 2015

Pros: "great price ; cute car"

Cons: "little wind noise while traveling on highway"

"I purchased this car new in 2008. Great car , no major work done. Still riding on the same breaks and only get maintenance done every 5000 miles. I've taken long trips and currently have 141,000 miles. Love it..plenty of leg room , very comfortable. Little noisy with the wind on highway. Over-all great car."

Great vehicle and 36 MPG!

By on Tuesday, March 25, 2014

"This is a wonderful car. Looks great, drives fantastic, really safe and dependable, low maintainence, and gets 36 MPG, more when driving the freeway. Lots of interior space and trunk space. Handles well no matter what the weather!"

great little car

By on Thursday, February 13, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive, and great gas milage"

Cons: "wouldn't mind having electronic doors locks"

"You can pay a lot more for a Hybrid but I have been able to get 42 mpg, now that it is older I'm still getting 34 mpg. Plus it is comfortable. I have no mechanical problems my mechanic is still waiting."

Weird Ugly Little Car, really good mileage

By on Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Pros: "Fast little car with great gas mileage"

Cons: "no power windows or locks. no armrest."

"I was lucky enough to get a 6 Year old 2007 with 1028 miles on it. Yep One Thousand and Twenty Eight. What can I say? It's Super White so looks like a giant Chicken Egg. Has a 5 speed stick that shifts like my 1993 S-10 Pickup. (It's like rowing a boat and peddling a bicycle to shift) Unfortunately the peddles are jammed together so tight that my size 11's get in the wrong place. Has a "Blue Dot" upholtery that gives you a feeling of being watched by little eyes, and is great to cure boredom. ("How many dots are there?") Strange distracting center mounted Speedometer No Tach It has hand crank windows and manual door locks, No alarm or remote fob. No sort of armrest. Needed a brand new $150 battery day one. Has a nice CD player. Cold air conditioning. A hot hot heater. Great acceleration. It's like driving a sports car (if you close your eyes) LOTS and LOTS of glove compartments And it still gets 32-34 mpg driven HARD. Will have to drive this thing a long long time to catch up with the Blue Book mileage. But at 300+ miles a tank full, it will likely happen. Maybe.. Strange that after having the entire car serviced by the original dealer at 1100 miles, it now "squeals" when started cold. Perhaps they wanted to make up for the embarassingly low mileage? It is almost embarassing to drive but, will likely become a "Quirky" Classic, if it lasts 40 years.. Like my 1967 Ford truck has."

Excellent car- actually have 3 of them

By on Monday, August 19, 2013

Pros: "See above"

Cons: "Front air vents are located to close to cupholders"

"5 door hatchback:Excellent gas mileage, great handling- like a sports car (small turning circle & great manuverability), great pick up once you get out of 1st gear;carries lots of cargo with seats folded down ( the only thing that has ever stuck out of the trunk was a folded 10 foot long gazebo.Just routine Maintenance, NEVER HAD TO HAVE ANYTHING FIXED! 4 Door sedans: I have a 2008 & 2010 .Handling not as great as the hatchback, but same quality as above. Maintenance on 2008- oil changes and tires. And all of them start every time. What more could I ask for ?"

TOTOYA, YARIS

By on Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Pros: "Fantastic fuel-efficient, affortable, fun to drive"

Cons: "No electric doors or windows. All manual."

"Owning my Toyota Yaris has been fantastic! However, I do love my car for many reasons. Its small and compact, yet spacious at the same time. It contains two-door, very nice seating designs and definitely comfortable, hatchback (liftback)spacious enough, basic technology equipment, several storage compartments in convenient areas. Nevertheless, besides its basic features what I love about my car is that is fuel-efficient. I literally gas-up once a week. Since the car is pretty petite it fits almost everywhere to park, very convenient."

Great car, great gas mileage, surprisingly smooth

By on Tuesday, May 7, 2013

"I've owned this car for a year and a half, and I've driven it to and from work daily, as well as from TN to CA and back plus numerous shorter road trips. The Yaris is quite comfortable for the driver and passenger. The back seat is a bit small, but I usually have the seats laid down for my dogs or to haul things around, and for this it's much roomier than you'd expect. I even slept in the back of this thing on several of my road trips. The Yaris handles really well; the turn radius on it is really just amazing. I also don't feel like I'm getting whipped around in the wind on the interstate, like I felt with my old '98 Prizm. The gas mileage is really amazing too - I average about 37 when I'm driving town and interstate, but for interstate road trips I use E85 to get about 40 mpg. I bought this car because I wanted a relatively inexpensive crossover-type vehicle. A hatchback/hauling-type car with good gas mileage were my biggest considerations. I am 100% satisfied with my Yaris and would absolutely recommend it."

value far exceeded expectations

By on Tuesday, November 27, 2012

"most dependable car ever owned. not a single problem in 66,5000 mostly highway miles. combined overall fuel economy 38.6 mpg most common magazine knock; underpowered, somewhat justified. at approx.50,000 k, I added TRC air intake. it truthfully eliminated any uphill on-ramp concerns. recommend it. 59 mph 2-lane highways returned over 43 mpg on 3 occasions. interstates in 38-39 range. my current in town tanks, 1 to 3 mile trips exclusively, return slightly over 30"

It's an appliance

By on Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Pros: "Reliable. Well made, good on gas"

Cons: "Excess body roll. Unengaged drive"

"Have had the car for 2 years now. It's certainly not the most engaging car to drive or the most fun, but it has been bullet proof as far as reliability is concerned. Not a squeak or rattle from the car, and nothing has needed to be repaired or replaced. Incredibly easy to park. Very good on gas averaging 33 mpg in mixed driving. Could certainly do with a 5 speed auto instead of the 4 that it has for more relaxed rpm's. Not a car you would want to do long journeys in. Not enough room to stretch the left leg out fully, but for a small wheel base, it soaks up bumps better than the other small cars I have."

i really like my toyota

By on Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Pros: "super economy 38 mpg for 125000 miles"

Cons: "cruise control had to be aftermarket"

"This little car has been practically perfect in every way. It has a started issue, which I have ignored for 4 years. Just a little more cushion in the seats would be nice. Every tank of gas is on the government fueleconomy website. I've averaged 38 mpg which includes many 1,000's of miles of pulling my little tear drop camper."

Excellent value

By on Monday, October 24, 2011

Pros: "I feel this is the best economy car on the road."

Cons: "Buy the power windows, locks, cruise control"

"I went with bare bones and that was my fault. Rolling up windows and pushing locks when one is used to power everything is a pain. The car is a winner. It is a gas sipper, incredibly reliable and stable on the road."

Love this car!

By on Tuesday, May 17, 2011

"This car has been very good to our family over the past four years. It so reliable, not a single problem so far. Great gas mileage. The only complaints are the interior could be a little nicer and its too small for a family of four. Wish I would have waited for the four door. The styling is awesome. It's the cutest car and super fun to drive."

Great car at a great price

By on Friday, February 25, 2011

"I have a Yaris S sedan. I've had the car for about 5 years and have just turned over 70,000 miles. I bought the car new. When I was looking at cars I was looking for a 4-door commuter car that had a low price and had a high MPG. I would have bought the standard sedan (no power locks or windows), in order to save some money, but the dealerships in the area didn't have them. Now I'm happy I went with the S sedan model. I love my car! It has been great to me, and of course, I've been good to it. I keep up on regular maintenance, and I haven't had any issue with my car. The only thing that has broken is the latch of the small compartment to the left of the steering wheel. The exterior and interior of the car still look great. The trunk has a lot of room for the size of the car. A friend with a truck helped me move and he was amazed at the amount of stuff (and my packing skills, thank you tetris) I was able to pack into my car. The back seat has a good amount of room. I'm able to fit the large dog kennel I have in the backseat perfectly. The backseat is a bit small if you are a tall person. My brother is a little over 6 feet and he feels a bit cramped in the backseat. The stereo is great, and the car has an AUX plug, which is great on long drives. I do have a few issues with the design of the interior of the car, but I learned to live them since they're really not big deals. One is the placement of the cup holders for the driver and passenger (they are right in front of the air vents), an other is the location of the cruise control, and the last thing I don't like is it has an electronic fuel gauge. Like I said, not big deals. Overall this is a great car at a great price."