1997 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab

Based on 1629 Ratings for the 1995 - 2004 models.

awesome truck. smooth ride.

By on Thursday, January 16, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive"

Cons: "doesn't get the best gas mileage I've seen."

"Fantastic truck. I have owned my 99 Tacoma Sr5 since 2002. I have not had any problems with it, only regular maintenance type service. It has only 105,000 miles on it. It is my baby. I get a lot of people tell me how nice it is. They ask if it's my nd or husbands truck. Omg...as if. I smile and say it's mine...I just know how to take care of a vehicle."

Awesome Truck!!

By on Wednesday, January 8, 2014

"I have never had any problems out of my Tacoma and it just hit 183,000 miles. It has always cranked up and ran like it should. You just cant beat a toyota for reliability. The offroading is awesome also! I have the 4 wheel drive and I'm usually the one pulling people out!"

Best vehiclle I have ever owned!

By on Thursday, July 18, 2013

"I have owned my Tacoma for 15 years, and have driven it 158,000. I bought it when it was three months old with 1600 miles on it. The truck does not rattle or squeak. I spend about $700 a year on repairs and maintenance. I have no plans to sell it. It still looks good and drives great! The plans are to see just how many miles this truck will run!"

Most Reliable Vehicle I've Ever Owned

By on Monday, May 20, 2013

Pros: "Reliablitiy, low maintenance, great value."

Cons: "No real power, sits a little low to the ground"

"If my 15yr old Toyolta could talk, it would say "I'm ready, put me in coach! It's been a great reliable little truck. Very low maintanance needed. Other then regular oil changes and tire replacements, we've only had to replaced the cluch once. Every time I think about selling it, I can't seem to do it. You know what they say...,If it's not broke don't fix it."

Toyota Tacoma

By on Monday, April 29, 2013

"Excellent truck, I bought used with about 125k on it. 4x4 4cyl 5spd never had any major mechanical problems its a great truck. I would definitely recommend to a friend"

Extremely good truck!

By on Friday, April 12, 2013

Pros: "Easy to work on, good fuel economy, holds value"

Cons: "Somewhat sparse interior"

"The '96 Tacoma is a very good truck- easy to work on, handles well, gets very good gas mileage for a truck, and is very dependable. The interior is a little sparse, but that's pretty much the only con. The Tacomas hold their value extremely well, so anyone looking to resell down the road should have no problem in being paid a decent amount for their truck. The trucks were well-designed in terms of what is under the hood- it all makes sense, no ridiculous positioning of parts, no specialty tools, or anything like that. It was a very easy truck to work on- I did a full rebuild on mine, which I bought from someone who destroyed it with neglect. I would recommend the Tacoma to anyone."

The Best

By on Monday, April 1, 2013

Pros: "Great offroad capablilities."

Cons: "Would always like better mpg."

"I bought my Tacoma new and 220,000 miles later I'm still love it! The only time my check engine light came on was when I needed to replace my gas cap a couple of months back. I'm looking forward to 10x around the world milestone."

Great Little Truck

By on Sunday, March 31, 2013

Pros: "Quality build. Trouble free"

Cons: "Wish they had double cab in 2000."

"Original owner since 2000. Nothing but oil changes for the first 12 years. Just had the brakes, timing belt, water pump, and rack and pinion done at 97,000 miles. Truck still looks like new. Great product by Toyota."

Great Truck

By on Thursday, February 14, 2013

Pros: "keeps on running repair free"

Cons: "gas mileage"

"Have driven this truck since it was new in 1999. Have 280,000 miles on it. Very little repair over the years. Many people make me an offer on it but I want 500,000 miles before I let it go, actually we may both just retire together so I will keep it."

Superior Reliability-Not my first/will buy again!

By on Saturday, November 24, 2012

Pros: "Reliabilty/handling/very sturdy/hold their value"

Cons: "You won't want to sell yours"

"Purchased new in Feb 97'. The only thing I would have liked different is the Access rear doors, which were not available on this year. Over the nearly 16 years I've owned this truck, the only failures I had(beyond the normal brakes, tires, and battery)were the Mass Airflow Sensor, and the Automatic Transmission throtle cable. The MAS is expensive, but EXTREMELY easy to diagnose and replace(OBD2 diagnostic and 5 minutes with a screwdriver). The AT throtle cable was sticking and causing the shift points to change which made the engine go high RPM before shifting to the next gear even with light acceleration(since the sticky cable prevented the spring from pulling it back into the tranny). Fairly tricky diagnosis, $80 dealer-only cable, and $100 labor from a reliable mechanic. Aside from these 2 failures, everything has worked perfectly since day 1. I have the 4 cylinder 2.4L engine. I've been slightly dissapointed with the MPG(Avg 22), but attributed that to the automatic tranny. I've had at least 20 people ask me to let them know when I'm ready to sell it. Want to know how much Tacoma owners like their trucks? Try to find used ones. They're like the Energizer bunny...they just keep going."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab near Honolulu. See local deals