2017 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $28,528 - $29,675.

Click on an icon below to access that browser�s download page.

Valid for ZIP code 96801 through 08/24/2017

10/8.9

7.3

Based on 31 Ratings for the 2016 - 2017 models.

7.4/10
    7.5/10
    7.0/10
    7.4/10

Great truck!

By on Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Pros: "Styling, Ride Quality, Utility, Infotainment Sys."

Cons: "Odd powertrain programming"

"After about 1000 miles I can say that this truck is great. There are a few reviews out there that suggest the powertrain is lacking, but after learning to drive it, I feel the powertrain is great. The problem seems to be in the transmission according to some. When in D the transmission behaves similar to most vehicles that are set to eco mode. Late shifts, poor power etc. However, Toyota has engineered workarounds. Simply sliding the gear shifter over to S lets you limit use of the overdrive gears, keeping the truck in the powerband. There is also an ECT power button that modifies the shift pattern for later shifts. I pull around 3,000lbs with this truck 3-4 times a week. Put it in S4, hit the ECT button and it pulls as expected for a truck this size. Dont listen to the negative reviews, it is goofy how Toyota programmed this powertrain, but it is completely adequate after you learn how to drive it. I find the interior comfortable enough, and the car seat fits nicely in the rear. It looks great and has great utility and tech. Really the only negatives of this truck are the lack of a power seat, lack of passenger side keyless entry and no option for leather in the TRD models. But hey, nothing out there is perfect!"

Redesigned with a purpose

By on Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Pros: "Amenities, styling, comfort, reliability, rugged"

Cons: "Remote Start, rain-sensing wipers, engine power"

Side view with the size of the truck in a garage

"I have owned my 2016 Tacoma for over a month now and logged almost 1500 miles since purchasing new. I own the 4x4 Limited which only comes with the short bed double cab. First a few things about me since roof height seems to come into play with taller people. The limited does have the sun roof and I am 5'9" and have no problem clearing the interior roof space. I have about 3 inches of room available and if you recline the seat you can get more if you are taller. My Tacoma has been nothing but a thrill since owning it. I traded in my Corvette as I needed something practical with all the bells and whistles minus the off-road package. Basic 4x4 is all I need out in the country, I'm not rock crawling. On the highway the vehicle is quiet and conservative. On Texas roads, the V6 performs well as everything is mostly flat here in Central Texas. The small hills I do go up I can notice the heavy 4200 pound truck needing more gas in current gear or it needs to drop a gear to get going. This is due to a lacking V6 more than the truck transmission. While the V6 is adequate, more could have been done in this segment as it should be at least 300 horses with around the same in torque. Fuel economy is abysmal but it is also a truck. You don't go buy a Ferrari to drive in traffic around town and also don't buy it for fuel economy. The same mindset comes here with the 3.5 Lexus V6 they dropped in the truck. Is it better than the 4.0? That remains to be seen. I do think, that after so many years, they could have squeezed a few more miles to the gallon out of the V6. Ride comfort is of utmost importance to me. I am a disabled veteran and need the best ride a vehicle can provide. So far, after almost 1500 miles I have yet to have any aches or pains and the truck rides smooth on paved roads and also less improved roads. I'm happy with the overall balance and how the suspension absorbs the bumps on my country road. As time has progressed, the seats have seem to have broken in and gotten better if anything. While on the topic of seats, rear leg room has yet to be determined. My sister-in-law was back there during the holidays an didn't have any problems but she also isn't the tallest of people. While back leg room looks adequate, a full sized truck is obviously for you if you plan on putting 4 adults in the truck that are anything over 5"10". The technology package with the JBL sound system sounds fantastic. Is it top quality? I think it's as good as it gets with a factory install. Obviously there are better products out there but vehicle manufacturers aren't in the business of selling sound systems, they sell vehicles. The stock versus the JBL is a night and day difference. The navigation and touch screen is an instant response unlike my wife's VW Passat TDI SEL unit which is slower than molasses. The rear-view camera comes on immediately when you engage reverse and the lines used make sense when measuring distance. I was able to quickly back a truck in with just the camera alone. Safety features additional air bags than usual as well as the sensors on the back of the truck to let you know of other cars driving past as you back up. It will also detect people and other objects in the way which is a nice extra. When I was leaving the tavern, a vehicle more than 3 car lengths away tripped the beeping sensor letting me know something was coming. I could easily see the vehicle but it's still nice in the event you are in a crowded area. The new aggressive styling seems to be a mixed bag for some people. I personally like it as it appeals to me and my generation (30 somethings). The Limited doesn't have as much chrome as the Off Road version with the grill but also doesn't come with the sport hood with the non-functioning hood vent. This isn't a big deal as it's a truck not a Corvette. The projector headlights are more than adequate but keep in mind they are H11 Halogen bulbs but people on the Tacoma forums are putting HIDs in with little to no effort. The interior amenities in the Limited are numerous and appreciated. Wireless charging for mobile devies (unless you have an iPhone like me), heated seats which get nice and hot on the max setting, the central display with tons of information, the entertainment screen with information on just about everything to include fuel economy, and the power outlet in the back bed that supplies enough power to get a light plugged in, a drill working, or a light duty air compressor going. The entertainment system in itself has tons of features but the best thing so far is the ability to use the traffic and speed limits via HD radio. If HD radio isn't available, the EnTune app on your phone can provide a fall back. This app also supplies Pandora, Yelp, movie tickets, Fuel prices/locations, and much more. It sync's with your truck and you can just use the touch display instead of your phone making things even easier. If you are on T-Mobile, you can saw goodbye to Satellite radio and just use Pandora since data with Pandora is free! Overall, the truck is great. Of course it is not without it's flaws. The engine could have been better in fuel economy and power but is adequate as is. The headlights do not come on with the wipers and the intermittent settings are only 3 settings tall. Would have been nice to get rain sensing wipers and auto-headlights when the wipers come on as a standard feature on a truck that MSRP's at 40k+. The only other thing I can think of is the lack of remote start. That isn't a huge deal to me as I barely use it on my wife's VW but still, to some, this would have been a nice feature."

Side view with the size of the truck in a garage

Worst purchase I've ever made

By on Sunday, December 18, 2016

Pros: "Love the look"

Cons: "Transmission / Drive Train"

"This is the worst new car purchase I've ever made. Just turned 4600 miles and it has been in the shop two times for a week each time. Has a vibration in the transmission / drive train at about 20 MPH when decelerating. Dealer says they and Toyota have no idea how to fix it. Transmission has shifting issues. Looking to trade if possible without taking to big of a hit."

Biggest Disappointment 0f 2016

By on Saturday, December 31, 2016

Pros: "brakes improved over 08"

Cons: "no low end torque dies on uphill grades"

"Traded in my 2008 TRD sport for 2016 TRD sport complete disappointment to drive. The new TRD has NO low end torque and a transmission that constantly shifts in an attempt to compensate. Had the trans software update installed at 5k little affect. Reminded daily on commute what mistake this purchase was. Toyota claims truck operates as designed apparently fuel mileage is the only concern. Having purchased several toyotas new purchased this one blindly, wifes 2016 camry 4cylinder drives perfectly. Buyer beware this is not the same product i was accustomed to from toyota. Wish i had kept my 2008,currently shopping to replace 2016 TRD sport."

Toyota did their homework

By on Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Pros: "Gas mileage, interior design, looks"

Cons: "if 6'3" or better may not offer enough room"

"Have had trucks in every size, shape and color including a 2008 and 2013 Tacoma. This 2017 4x4 Off Road - dual cab automatic - is a real pleasure. What is most noticeable is: much quieter inside, the suspension is better isolated - the ride is outstanding - not abusive as in other Tacoma's I have had. JBL stereo is a great unit - gas mileage is very good - 19.7 mpg including lots of 4x4 time in town, and 50 mile freeway run at 80 plus mph(speed limit in Montana is 80 MPH)and testing out the crawl and multi terrain modes in off road snow packed conditions. Sun roof is great - really brightens up the inside of the cab and creates a more spacious feeling. Excellent storage underneath and behind the seats and in the truck bed panels. Info and Nav system is easy to interface with. I really appreciate all the bells and whistles - dual climate, auto headlights, push button start - when you put it all together you can understand why the vehicle is pricey - but it holds its value like no other truck and the quality feedback when driving this vehicle is first class."