2012 Toyota Sequoia

9.3

Based on 156 Ratings for the 2008 - 2017 models.

Rolling beast

By on Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Pros: "Feels as big as it is. Just needs cannon turret"

Cons: "Nav screen. Cargo room."

"My wife and I both love driving this SUV. We bought the Platinum edition, 2010 model year. More features & driver control than the Expy Limited we traded in. The center console on the 2nd row is OFF THE HOOK! Love having 3 options to adjust the ride: smooth, normal, sport. GREAT idea to put buttons behind and to the side of the 2nd row seats to lower or raise the 3rd row. You can, as with the Expy, also do that from the back with the tailgate raised. You CANNOT do that in a Chevy or Caddy. Their 3rd row is still manual! STUPID! They haven't changed that since they introduced the 3rd row! We would have bought an Escalade if it weren't for the idiotic 3rd row. But I digress. Back to point: it has so far been everything we expected from Toyota. Reliable, higher quality fit & trim, quieter ride than Expy. The only glaring downsides are 1) DEFINITELY does not have the cargo room of an Expy. 2) Many functions on the nav screen you can't do while the car is moving. It's a safety feature, but did the Japanese forget that PASSENGERS ride in PASSENGER vehicles? 3) Listening to a call coming from the vehicle's bluetooth ain't great. Time will tell on true reliablity, and how I ultimately determine its value. It only has +/- 42,000 miles on it, so I wouldn't expect anything to go wrong mechanically yet. And it hasn't. Not like the GMC I bought whose transmission gave out at 38,000 miles. I will tell you this: the salesman used an electronic tool to test the paint thickness on the Expy we traded in. Any significant variations among the different areas of the car would tell him the car had been repainted, indicating certainly body repair, and possibly an unknown/unreported wreck. I had him test the Sequoia and the paint thickness was twice as much as the Expy. More durable? Harder to damage/scratch?"

Very Solid Vehicle

By on Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Pros: "comfortable, surprisingly quick"

Cons: "poor gas mileage"

"I have now owned my 2008 Toyota Sequoia for just over 4 years and 60K miles, have not had a single issue. Has been extremely reliable, comfortable on long trips, and is large enough to put my families stuff in it with room to spare. The only negative is the gas mileage. I drive all city driving and it gets 11-12 miles per gallon."

I love this Vehicle.....

By on Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Pros: "great to drive, very easy to handle..."

Cons: "we chose black which shows scratches easliy"

"I love this vehicle! I was afraid it would be too big for me, but it handles like a dream and it turns on a dime for its size. If you are afraid it will drive like a truck.... it doesnt! Its big enough for our family of 6 and all of our luggage when we travel. The only down fall for us would be that my extended family is always wanting to take it on trips. I would HIGHLY recommend the Sequoia."

Great cruising machine

By on Friday, August 27, 2010

"Have owned for about 2 years and overall enjoy the vehicle. We purchased it because of its interior room since we travel extensively for basketball tournaments and back and forth to college in Tennessee. The quality of this vehicle is not up to what Toyota is supposed to be about. The transmission is not very smooth, especially at lower speeds, it seaches constantly for the right gear. Gas pedal is very 'jerky". Needs sensors in the center of the front bumper not just on the ends due to visibility issues. Performance, towing and pickup are great,lots of power. Comfort inside is excellant however even though this is the Platinum edition, materials are a bit "cheap". The nav system is annoying in that you cannot operate it when the vehicle is moving. I agree with this if you are by yourself, but if you have a passenger with you in the right front seat, they should be able to use system without having to stop. Overall, a very nice road vehicle with tons of storage room. Toyota needs to get back to quality, like before, and not like when they first were built in the 60's. Engines and trans were great, but bodies were terrible. Seems that Toyota is starting to forget what made them #1."

Best SUV for the money!

By on Tuesday, January 6, 2009

"With gas prices going down (takes regular gas) and Toyota giving hefty discounts on the Sequoia- you have the best of both worlds. Plus its excellent quality, ride & comfort- you cant ask for more! Best pound for pound SUV on the planet, period !"

Does what I need it to do

By on Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Pros: "Power, versatility, comfort, safety, capacity"

Cons: "Low range"

"Have had a 2012 Platinum edition for about 10 months. Have made four 13 hour straight shot 900 miles each way run to North Carolina and paid less for gas, arrived more rested, and carried a bunch more stuff than I could in my BMW X5. The gas mileage is lower, but it burns regular which saves on the actual cost. The range is lower that the X5 (320 miles per tank v. 450 in the BMW), but the dogs like the extra break. I drag a 5,000 lb pontoon around NC. My X5 would burn a little clutch (yes, clutch) getting it up a ramp. With the Sequoia, I can't tell anything is back there. And all the mirrors make it a breeze to back a 9 ft wide pontoon into an 11 ft wide carport. The truck does fine in Chicago traffic, and I have no problems with on-street parking - all the sonar and the rear view camera do help with that - or issues with garage heights. The adaptive cruise control takes a little getting used to, but is really nice on open roads. One issue, the cruise control in adaptive mode doesn't like rain, but you can turn the radar off and use regular cruise control mode. I usually use the "sport" ride set-up, and it's still comfortable and almost as quick as the BMW. It doesn't blow as much as the BMW in crosswinds, and is really stable on ice. I like that I decide when she's in 2, 4, or 4 Low wheel drive, v. some computer. In soft mode it rides like a luxury sedan. I have had no service issues, and haven't paid a cent for maintenance service through 3 oil changes. It reminds me of the 1999 4 Runner I had years ago - on steroids and with a few more bells and whistles."

Size, stability, quality, value and COMFORT!-Plati

By on Monday, September 23, 2013

Pros: "power, size, comfort, cooled seats, quiet"

Cons: "Have to buy the platinum for the air suspension"

"We outgrew the minivan and were forced to get something bigger. My only complaint is the gas mileage but I do get what the reviews said we would. Comfort of this vehicle is unmatched and we have driven 12+ hours in a single day easily. It drives beautifully and the parking sensors and tilt down mirrors keep the paint on our car and off others. The power of this is amazing. The air suspension creates a great balance between connectedness to the road and comfort. Everyone has plenty of space and room for our stuff. The platinum trim level seemed excessive to us until we drove the Limited back-to-back with the Platinum. The air suspension alone sold us. We haven't looked back since..."

Great for Family, but very overpriced

By on Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Pros: "Reliable, Sturdy, Family-oriented vehicle"

Cons: "Gas mileage and weak easily scratched paint"

"I have a 2006 Toyota Sequoia Limited with a 4.7L engine which I purchased used with approximately 27K miles. This is a great family car. Its very spacious, reliable, agile, mechanically sound and sturdy vehicle. I have towed a large boat and driven on long road trips. In both scenarios, this car performs flawlessly. The only complaints I have are: 1) The paint seems like it scratches easily (specially the front of the car where every now and again a small rock will strike). My suggestion would be: Avoid driving behind large trucks at all cost... Rock chips are common. 2) The gas mileage, of course. Even with a clean air filter, new sparkplugs, highly inflated tires, this is a guzzler. Even when driven at 55mph, this is a guzzler! On the highway, I get about 17mpg at 60mph, and about 15mpg at 70-80mph. In the city, I get as low as 13-14mpg. This mileage is worse than what some of my SUV driving friends get with their Yukon, Tahoes, etc. 3) The handle for the rear door broke leaving me not able to open the rear door. According to my local Toyota dealer, it is a common breakage. It set me back ~ 396 dollars. 4) The back-up camera has broken twice. It simply sucks. If you have a large family and can live with low mileage and paint that easily scratches, this is a car for you."

Great vehicle, powerful, copious interior space

By on Saturday, March 17, 2012

Pros: "price for features especially the sport trim optio"

Cons: "cheap dash and exterior styling"

"great suv, 100 hp more than a chevy or ford with the 5.7L 6 speed and more interior room"

Excellent Value and overall SUV

By on Thursday, June 5, 2008

"We are very happy with the value and manueverability of the new Sequoia. The gas mileage every day is around 16mpg higher on the highway trips. The turning radius is very nice for this large of an SUV it can easily make the turns that you would normally have to back up with. The tri-climate control is a must for all SUVs and comes standard. I would suggest going with the SR5 and upgrading the parts that you must have (6-CD in dash...etc) unless there is a "have to have" option on the Limited (7-seats) or Platinum (variable cruise control or suspension). It's up to you but worth it for the base model in my opinion."