2011 Toyota Sequoia

9.3

Based on 154 Ratings for the 2008 - 2017 models.

Fine vehicle

By on Tuesday, January 27, 2009

"The only downfall is the rear visibility when backing although it does have a back-up camera and sensors."

Best SUV for the money!

By on Tuesday, January 6, 2009

"With gas prices going down (takes regular gas) and Toyota giving hefty discounts on the Sequoia- you have the best of both worlds. Plus its excellent quality, ride & comfort- you cant ask for more! Best pound for pound SUV on the planet, period !"

Outstanding SUV with awesome turning radius

By on Friday, November 11, 2016

Pros: "Superior quality, quiet and comfortable ride."

Cons: "Only con is gas mileage."

"I stepped up from a 4WD 4Runner to the Sequoia. My wife and love, love, love this vehicle. It is very comfortable and fun to drive on the beach too. Great on the highway and in the city, though gas mileage in the city is not good. For a big vehicle, you would think parking would be a challenge but it has an amazing turning radius and it has no problems making tight turns. Tons of space, comfort, and has a very quiet ride. I love it. Much better than the 4Runner (though I really liked it too). The engine is very powerful, and with that power comes not so fancy MPG. We get around 18 MPG highway."

Rolling beast

By on Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Pros: "Feels as big as it is. Just needs cannon turret"

Cons: "Nav screen. Cargo room."

"My wife and I both love driving this SUV. We bought the Platinum edition, 2010 model year. More features & driver control than the Expy Limited we traded in. The center console on the 2nd row is OFF THE HOOK! Love having 3 options to adjust the ride: smooth, normal, sport. GREAT idea to put buttons behind and to the side of the 2nd row seats to lower or raise the 3rd row. You can, as with the Expy, also do that from the back with the tailgate raised. You CANNOT do that in a Chevy or Caddy. Their 3rd row is still manual! STUPID! They haven't changed that since they introduced the 3rd row! We would have bought an Escalade if it weren't for the idiotic 3rd row. But I digress. Back to point: it has so far been everything we expected from Toyota. Reliable, higher quality fit & trim, quieter ride than Expy. The only glaring downsides are 1) DEFINITELY does not have the cargo room of an Expy. 2) Many functions on the nav screen you can't do while the car is moving. It's a safety feature, but did the Japanese forget that PASSENGERS ride in PASSENGER vehicles? 3) Listening to a call coming from the vehicle's bluetooth ain't great. Time will tell on true reliablity, and how I ultimately determine its value. It only has +/- 42,000 miles on it, so I wouldn't expect anything to go wrong mechanically yet. And it hasn't. Not like the GMC I bought whose transmission gave out at 38,000 miles. I will tell you this: the salesman used an electronic tool to test the paint thickness on the Expy we traded in. Any significant variations among the different areas of the car would tell him the car had been repainted, indicating certainly body repair, and possibly an unknown/unreported wreck. I had him test the Sequoia and the paint thickness was twice as much as the Expy. More durable? Harder to damage/scratch?"

Very Solid Vehicle

By on Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Pros: "comfortable, surprisingly quick"

Cons: "poor gas mileage"

"I have now owned my 2008 Toyota Sequoia for just over 4 years and 60K miles, have not had a single issue. Has been extremely reliable, comfortable on long trips, and is large enough to put my families stuff in it with room to spare. The only negative is the gas mileage. I drive all city driving and it gets 11-12 miles per gallon."

Great cruising machine

By on Friday, August 27, 2010

"Have owned for about 2 years and overall enjoy the vehicle. We purchased it because of its interior room since we travel extensively for basketball tournaments and back and forth to college in Tennessee. The quality of this vehicle is not up to what Toyota is supposed to be about. The transmission is not very smooth, especially at lower speeds, it seaches constantly for the right gear. Gas pedal is very 'jerky". Needs sensors in the center of the front bumper not just on the ends due to visibility issues. Performance, towing and pickup are great,lots of power. Comfort inside is excellant however even though this is the Platinum edition, materials are a bit "cheap". The nav system is annoying in that you cannot operate it when the vehicle is moving. I agree with this if you are by yourself, but if you have a passenger with you in the right front seat, they should be able to use system without having to stop. Overall, a very nice road vehicle with tons of storage room. Toyota needs to get back to quality, like before, and not like when they first were built in the 60's. Engines and trans were great, but bodies were terrible. Seems that Toyota is starting to forget what made them #1."

Does what I need it to do

By on Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Pros: "Power, versatility, comfort, safety, capacity"

Cons: "Low range"

"Have had a 2012 Platinum edition for about 10 months. Have made four 13 hour straight shot 900 miles each way run to North Carolina and paid less for gas, arrived more rested, and carried a bunch more stuff than I could in my BMW X5. The gas mileage is lower, but it burns regular which saves on the actual cost. The range is lower that the X5 (320 miles per tank v. 450 in the BMW), but the dogs like the extra break. I drag a 5,000 lb pontoon around NC. My X5 would burn a little clutch (yes, clutch) getting it up a ramp. With the Sequoia, I can't tell anything is back there. And all the mirrors make it a breeze to back a 9 ft wide pontoon into an 11 ft wide carport. The truck does fine in Chicago traffic, and I have no problems with on-street parking - all the sonar and the rear view camera do help with that - or issues with garage heights. The adaptive cruise control takes a little getting used to, but is really nice on open roads. One issue, the cruise control in adaptive mode doesn't like rain, but you can turn the radar off and use regular cruise control mode. I usually use the "sport" ride set-up, and it's still comfortable and almost as quick as the BMW. It doesn't blow as much as the BMW in crosswinds, and is really stable on ice. I like that I decide when she's in 2, 4, or 4 Low wheel drive, v. some computer. In soft mode it rides like a luxury sedan. I have had no service issues, and haven't paid a cent for maintenance service through 3 oil changes. It reminds me of the 1999 4 Runner I had years ago - on steroids and with a few more bells and whistles."

I love this Vehicle.....

By on Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Pros: "great to drive, very easy to handle..."

Cons: "we chose black which shows scratches easliy"

"I love this vehicle! I was afraid it would be too big for me, but it handles like a dream and it turns on a dime for its size. If you are afraid it will drive like a truck.... it doesnt! Its big enough for our family of 6 and all of our luggage when we travel. The only down fall for us would be that my extended family is always wanting to take it on trips. I would HIGHLY recommend the Sequoia."

Size, stability, quality, value and COMFORT!-Plati

By on Monday, September 23, 2013

Pros: "power, size, comfort, cooled seats, quiet"

Cons: "Have to buy the platinum for the air suspension"

"We outgrew the minivan and were forced to get something bigger. My only complaint is the gas mileage but I do get what the reviews said we would. Comfort of this vehicle is unmatched and we have driven 12+ hours in a single day easily. It drives beautifully and the parking sensors and tilt down mirrors keep the paint on our car and off others. The power of this is amazing. The air suspension creates a great balance between connectedness to the road and comfort. Everyone has plenty of space and room for our stuff. The platinum trim level seemed excessive to us until we drove the Limited back-to-back with the Platinum. The air suspension alone sold us. We haven't looked back since..."

Great vehicle, powerful, copious interior space

By on Saturday, March 17, 2012

Pros: "price for features especially the sport trim optio"

Cons: "cheap dash and exterior styling"

"great suv, 100 hp more than a chevy or ford with the 5.7L 6 speed and more interior room"

Excellent Value and overall SUV

By on Thursday, June 5, 2008

"We are very happy with the value and manueverability of the new Sequoia. The gas mileage every day is around 16mpg higher on the highway trips. The turning radius is very nice for this large of an SUV it can easily make the turns that you would normally have to back up with. The tri-climate control is a must for all SUVs and comes standard. I would suggest going with the SR5 and upgrading the parts that you must have (6-CD in dash...etc) unless there is a "have to have" option on the Limited (7-seats) or Platinum (variable cruise control or suspension). It's up to you but worth it for the base model in my opinion."

Great for Family, but very overpriced

By on Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Pros: "Reliable, Sturdy, Family-oriented vehicle"

Cons: "Gas mileage and weak easily scratched paint"

"I have a 2006 Toyota Sequoia Limited with a 4.7L engine which I purchased used with approximately 27K miles. This is a great family car. Its very spacious, reliable, agile, mechanically sound and sturdy vehicle. I have towed a large boat and driven on long road trips. In both scenarios, this car performs flawlessly. The only complaints I have are: 1) The paint seems like it scratches easily (specially the front of the car where every now and again a small rock will strike). My suggestion would be: Avoid driving behind large trucks at all cost... Rock chips are common. 2) The gas mileage, of course. Even with a clean air filter, new sparkplugs, highly inflated tires, this is a guzzler. Even when driven at 55mph, this is a guzzler! On the highway, I get about 17mpg at 60mph, and about 15mpg at 70-80mph. In the city, I get as low as 13-14mpg. This mileage is worse than what some of my SUV driving friends get with their Yukon, Tahoes, etc. 3) The handle for the rear door broke leaving me not able to open the rear door. According to my local Toyota dealer, it is a common breakage. It set me back ~ 396 dollars. 4) The back-up camera has broken twice. It simply sucks. If you have a large family and can live with low mileage and paint that easily scratches, this is a car for you."

Great value - top performance

By on Monday, February 25, 2013

Pros: "Comfort, Reliability, Road Warrior"

Cons: "Loose steering-low end tires on nice rims"

"This is an exceptional value vs the high end Lexus (same engine) and GM products. I drove Suburbans for years until they became 80% plastic. Because I keep my trucks for a long time and don't buy a new one every three years- I went for reliability. If you want to experience why I turned away from GM, just sit in the back bucket seat of a Denali and then the back bucket of the Sequoia Platinum - absolutely no comparison. The Denali interior is mostly plastic and the back buckets are perfectly sized for a dwarf. I've now had my Sequoia Platinum almost 2 years and only two issues come to mind. First off, while the turning radius is incredible, the wheel is a little sloppy and steering seems engineered for female drivers more so than a work truck on a job site. I like more resistance when I turn the wheel. Second, mileage. (which is in no way a defect as I knew that going in). For the money, ($55,000) There is not a better full-sized SUV on the market!"

Best vehicle I have ever owned.

By on Sunday, March 20, 2016

Pros: "This vehicle is a PRO"

Cons: "would like to have light up door locks"

"There is only 1 thing I would wish for on this vehicle that it doesn't have, that is for the door lock switch to light up. This vehicle is the perfect vehicle for family, a mom, a grandma. Turns on a dime and so easy to maneuver . All seats recline making it very comfortable for the entire family on long trips. DVR and sunscreen side rear windows really make it enjoyable and wonderful for keeping the children entertained on the road. Great mileage, and wonderful service."

Best Toyota vehicle I have owned

By on Friday, February 10, 2012

Pros: "Power, comfort, ride, options,"

Cons: "Gas mileage, price,"

"For the price, this is the best vehicle in its class. It drives as well and, in some cases, even better than the Lexus SUV, Range Rover and Land Cruiser. I use it to tow a camping trailer and it has no problem with it. It does not drive like a "truck" like many other SUV's in this size. Prior to this car, I owned a Cadillac Escalade and this car has less "bling" but but drives just as well and has the same power. (plus, I get less attention from the police because it is more of a family vehicle). I would recommend the limited or platinum edition because the options are excellent. I do have a complaint about the seat warmers. You can hardly tell that they are on. The JBL stereo system is very good..however, I did take the car to a car stereo store to do some upgrades as there is NO car stereo installation that can meet my demands. The engine has plenty of power. Many SUV's are underpowered. But, Toyota provided an 8 Cylinder 400 HP 6 speed engine that can pretty much tow anything and still provide a comfortable ride."

2008 Sequioa Very Safe

By on Thursday, March 11, 2010

"Bigger than the Tahoe, 381 HP V8, buy one certified used from Toyota, get the SR5 with all the options (cheaper than a Limited with few options). 14 MPG all the time, 13 in 4x4 (real figures from my dash after 1 year). If you buy, check the door code for the one with 10Klbs, not all 2008's are true 10Klbs towing capacity, even if there is a towing package. Check the engine code on the door jam and bump it against the 2008 Sequoia owners manual. There are 6 different towing capacities for the 2008 and 2009. For 2010, it's all 10Klbs if you opt for the 5.7Litre V8. Kids love it, huge 3rd row is why we bought it. With seats down, it can hold end to end a military army cot and you can sleep on it. Could be used as an ambulance for that matter. 4x4 is good, locking differential is very nice. SR5 has all the manual goodies that won't break down and are easy to maintain. Limited and Platinum have ride height suspensions that can get into the thousands to replace. You can put a supercharger on it and get over 500 horsepower. Comfortable, lots of head room; you have to put the seat down toward the floor (makes sense right)? Over 6ft 5in fits just fine with moon roof. Toyotas are safe, Congress is trying to slam Toyota to get their money back through GM and Chrysler increased sales as a result of an organized Toyota smear campaign. Buy Toyota, you won't regret it."

Great SUV

By on Sunday, February 21, 2016

Pros: "Easy to drive and comfortable for everyone."

Cons: "No Cons in my book"

"This is one of the best trucks I have ever owned. It is easy to drive. Does not drive like a suv or truck. Turns very easy and tons of room. When traveling it is comfortable for everyone."

My Second one

By on Friday, January 24, 2014

Pros: "I love driving my track"

Cons: "Expensive for a platinum"

"I love this truck, i can't stress enough about the inside and out of the truck its amazing. I have the 2011 Toyota sequoia platinum. Its a very strong truck the feature in the truck blew me away there is so much, the truck does so much. I like everything on this truck so its hard to say one thing. The only concern I have is, its not cheap. Make sure you have a good trade in car or truck and its paid off."

Want to feel great, this is the car for you

By on Saturday, October 19, 2013

Pros: "Quiet, comfy, great engine, acceleration."

Cons: "Gas consumption but expected"

"Great car. Acceleration and comfort are unmatched. It is quiet inside and great visibility. Quite roomy that my four kids don't have to fight for seats, they are all very comfy. Other than I had to change the radiator at 100,000, and continue to have some rotten egg smell when I excessfully accelerate(this happened from the time it was new), I have had no problems. However,when you buy this car, forget about gas consumption: averages 15 miles and now starting to hear some rattles inside the car. No concern at this time. It has 120,000 miles and still going strong."

best SUV for the $

By on Friday, November 23, 2012

Pros: "roomy, easy to drive, very comfortable"

Cons: "uncertainty of future production"

"You absolutely will NOT find a better, more comfortable, more reliable full-size utility than the Sequoia."

Not bad, but a few chinks in the armor...

By on Wednesday, June 9, 2010

"The Good: Power from the iForce 5.7 V8 is outstanding, especially for a 3-ton SUV. Towing power is great, can handle the big jobs without barely breaking a sweat. Comfort is good all around, turning radius is exceptional for a large SUV, very helpful in tight parking situations. Gas MPG isn't terrible, considering. Cavernous rear area, due to the rear IRS, the 3rd seat can be folded flat instead of having to be removed, a huge plus. The not-so-good: Build quality isn't what one would expect from Toyota, there are many squeaks and rattles, especially from the 2nd seat. Materials from the dash and door panels feel like they're straight from a 30 yr old baseline Corolla, and the doors close with that "tinny" sound - again, just like a 30 yr old Corolla. A fog-light dash indicator and locking fuel door are curiously not available. Gets expensive REALLY quick once options are added."

Poorly Designed for the money

By on Thursday, May 6, 2010

"I have had my Sequoia for 2 years and the only reason I am keeping it is because of the towing. The leather is cheap, the seats rattle and so much dust comes in through the hatch and doors you can taste it. For an SUV, this is not an "off-road" vehicle. I live back 8 miles on a dirt road and by the time I get to pavement, I choke on the dust coming in. Very dissatisfied with the quality of the vehicle except for the towing. I can pull a 2 horse trailer with 2 horses and tack and not feel a thing."

Impressed

By on Tuesday, March 3, 2009

"I'm a huge Ford/Chevy fan but after test driving the 2008 Sequoia Limited, it was hands down a clear winner. It's built solid, very powerful (5.7L, V8), and handles like a vehicle half its size. The turning radius on this is ridiculous .... better than my Explorer, and definitely better than my Cadillac. I did get the captain's chairs in the back—highly recommend it over the full bench seat —which makes it easier for passengers to get in and out of. I also recommend the 2.5" flip down rear view camera if you don't get the navigation package (the nav includes the back-up camera which is a MUCH bigger screen but tacks on another $4k as a package.) If you don't carry a CDL license, trust me, you'll need the bumper sensors and cameras because this is a sizable truck and it has quite a few blind spots. The style is a big improvement over the previous models, specifically the front. I've been told that other than the front, the truck looks plain, but I think it's a nice change compared to other SUVs that slap on useless plastic molding and trim. My only knock on Toyota is that they obviously don't understand American consumers; we like the flexibility to purchase individual options vs. the manufacturer's option packages. Their option packages are impractical and don't make a lot of sense to me. I'm still trying to figure out how I got the optional illuminated ash/coin tray. It's been mentioned in a few industry magazines that Toyota recognizes this issue with their relatively new venture into the truck market as compared to seasoned manufacturers like Ford and GM, so they may be changing their program in the near future. Just keep this in mind when you're shopping around. Either way, I'm impressed."

4th one I've owned, best SUV on the road Best

By on Sunday, September 7, 2014

Pros: "Everthing"

Cons: "NONE AT ALL"

"Best SUV on the market made by any manufacture."

Great Ride

By on Wednesday, October 2, 2013

"I have owned my 2008 Sequoia about 6 months now, this is the most comfortable vehicle I have ever owned. Great for road trips. With the 3rd row seat, you can fit 6 adults in this vehicle with no problem. The JBL Audio system is awesome.. I have been very impressed, would highly recommend for anyone looking for a full size SUV.."