2009 Toyota Sequoia

9.3

Based on 156 Ratings for the 2008 - 2017 models.

Does what I need it to do

By on Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Pros: "Power, versatility, comfort, safety, capacity"

Cons: "Low range"

"Have had a 2012 Platinum edition for about 10 months. Have made four 13 hour straight shot 900 miles each way run to North Carolina and paid less for gas, arrived more rested, and carried a bunch more stuff than I could in my BMW X5. The gas mileage is lower, but it burns regular which saves on the actual cost. The range is lower that the X5 (320 miles per tank v. 450 in the BMW), but the dogs like the extra break. I drag a 5,000 lb pontoon around NC. My X5 would burn a little clutch (yes, clutch) getting it up a ramp. With the Sequoia, I can't tell anything is back there. And all the mirrors make it a breeze to back a 9 ft wide pontoon into an 11 ft wide carport. The truck does fine in Chicago traffic, and I have no problems with on-street parking - all the sonar and the rear view camera do help with that - or issues with garage heights. The adaptive cruise control takes a little getting used to, but is really nice on open roads. One issue, the cruise control in adaptive mode doesn't like rain, but you can turn the radar off and use regular cruise control mode. I usually use the "sport" ride set-up, and it's still comfortable and almost as quick as the BMW. It doesn't blow as much as the BMW in crosswinds, and is really stable on ice. I like that I decide when she's in 2, 4, or 4 Low wheel drive, v. some computer. In soft mode it rides like a luxury sedan. I have had no service issues, and haven't paid a cent for maintenance service through 3 oil changes. It reminds me of the 1999 4 Runner I had years ago - on steroids and with a few more bells and whistles."

Size, stability, quality, value and COMFORT!-Plati

By on Monday, September 23, 2013

Pros: "power, size, comfort, cooled seats, quiet"

Cons: "Have to buy the platinum for the air suspension"

"We outgrew the minivan and were forced to get something bigger. My only complaint is the gas mileage but I do get what the reviews said we would. Comfort of this vehicle is unmatched and we have driven 12+ hours in a single day easily. It drives beautifully and the parking sensors and tilt down mirrors keep the paint on our car and off others. The power of this is amazing. The air suspension creates a great balance between connectedness to the road and comfort. Everyone has plenty of space and room for our stuff. The platinum trim level seemed excessive to us until we drove the Limited back-to-back with the Platinum. The air suspension alone sold us. We haven't looked back since..."

Great for Family, but very overpriced

By on Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Pros: "Reliable, Sturdy, Family-oriented vehicle"

Cons: "Gas mileage and weak easily scratched paint"

"I have a 2006 Toyota Sequoia Limited with a 4.7L engine which I purchased used with approximately 27K miles. This is a great family car. Its very spacious, reliable, agile, mechanically sound and sturdy vehicle. I have towed a large boat and driven on long road trips. In both scenarios, this car performs flawlessly. The only complaints I have are: 1) The paint seems like it scratches easily (specially the front of the car where every now and again a small rock will strike). My suggestion would be: Avoid driving behind large trucks at all cost... Rock chips are common. 2) The gas mileage, of course. Even with a clean air filter, new sparkplugs, highly inflated tires, this is a guzzler. Even when driven at 55mph, this is a guzzler! On the highway, I get about 17mpg at 60mph, and about 15mpg at 70-80mph. In the city, I get as low as 13-14mpg. This mileage is worse than what some of my SUV driving friends get with their Yukon, Tahoes, etc. 3) The handle for the rear door broke leaving me not able to open the rear door. According to my local Toyota dealer, it is a common breakage. It set me back ~ 396 dollars. 4) The back-up camera has broken twice. It simply sucks. If you have a large family and can live with low mileage and paint that easily scratches, this is a car for you."

Great vehicle, powerful, copious interior space

By on Saturday, March 17, 2012

Pros: "price for features especially the sport trim optio"

Cons: "cheap dash and exterior styling"

"great suv, 100 hp more than a chevy or ford with the 5.7L 6 speed and more interior room"

Excellent Value and overall SUV

By on Thursday, June 5, 2008

"We are very happy with the value and manueverability of the new Sequoia. The gas mileage every day is around 16mpg higher on the highway trips. The turning radius is very nice for this large of an SUV it can easily make the turns that you would normally have to back up with. The tri-climate control is a must for all SUVs and comes standard. I would suggest going with the SR5 and upgrading the parts that you must have (6-CD in dash...etc) unless there is a "have to have" option on the Limited (7-seats) or Platinum (variable cruise control or suspension). It's up to you but worth it for the base model in my opinion."