2002 Toyota Sequoia

9.4

Based on 556 Ratings for the 2001 - 2007 models.

Safest SUV on the road !!!

By on Saturday, January 28, 2012

Pros: "SAFETY, SPACE, 12 CUP HOLDERS, SAFE SAFE SAFE !!!"

Cons: "gas mileage isn't great but average for an SUV"

"This is the safest, most comfortabke vehicle available.Boasting 12 cup holders....yes a big deal for families traveling-6 within reach of the driver!! The curtain airbags are amazing. We were hit by a drunk driver and rolled...we had children and great grandma in the back and NOBODY was hurt. Not a single piece of glass broke all of the curtain airbags and front airbags formed a sort of bubble around my family. I will never but anything else. If you have children you should be driving this. There is so much space inside very comfortably seats 7 ....even on a drive from OH to FL. It's a luxury SUV you can feel good about driving. BRAVO Toyota-WELL DONE !!!"

Like new after 10 years!

By on Friday, March 30, 2012

Pros: "Space, visbility, quiet, smooth, comfy, reliable"

Cons: "Squeeky moonroof, mileage"

"The $37K we paid in Dec '02 was a stretch for us, but it's been such a great vehicle for our family of 5. We tow a Toyota Epic wake boat (6500lbs) to Havasu four or more times per year. 360 mi round trip, Indio grade, long stretches of desert two-lane, heat of summer...and never once had a problem. Engine power could be better, but we just drop to 2nd and wind her up the hill. It's a Toy, she likes to rev. Installed Firestone Ride-Rites for sag. Also installed DVD for the head rests. Mileage is poor around town, but with its manners, driver visibility and comfort, she's still a joy to drive. Toyota made good with the traction control system which had failed once prior to the recall but they refunded our prior copay. Only persistant dissapointment is the Moonroof which is wonderful, but has squeeked nearly the whole time - dealer couldn't fix. Last thing is that inspection of the engine bay reveales ZERO fluid leaks. The engine, tranny, bellhousing, etc. looks new after 127K and almost 10 years. Am gearing up to change the timing belts (late) and it will be a pleasure to work in a pristine engine bay. Just overhauled my 1995 Toyota pickup with 243K which we bought new. Still a great truck, and the engine was like new inside. We're complete believers in Toyota!"

Great family car

By on Monday, April 27, 2009

"Seven years and 200,000 miles into owning this car, we still love it. We just had our first repair bill, other than regular scheduled maintenance. I have measured my actual MPG several times, and it is always around 17 MPG, with my driving fairly evenly divided between city and highway. Hard to beat that. Comfortable room for three kids, instruments, equipment, teammates, etc. Cross country trips and lots of carpooling Easily hauled the 20' boat. 100% reliable. Only complaint is that lots of plastic pieces (trim. compartment handles and covers, outlet covers, clips for holding seatbelts) broke off, even when car was fairly new. Highly recommed this vehicle. With two children now grown, we are reluctantly downsizing. I will miss it."

I love my Sequoia!

By on Sunday, March 17, 2013

Pros: "Dependable, roomy, comfortable"

Cons: "Blind spot, otherwise perfect!"

"We bought this car new in 2005. It has never let us down. It's been on multiple family vacations every year. A few of them driving 20 hours to our destination and 20 hours back. Its been to the mountains, the beach, etc. It has handled every trip without any complications. It has only been in the shop for basic maintenance and upkeep. The motor went out on the tailgate electric window 3x's, but it was under warranty. We haven't had an issue with that since Toyota had them put a newer model motor in the tailgate. It does have a blind spot in the left passenger rear area, so be careful when you back-up. I know three families with this car and all of us have backed into something...multiple times. They now put a rear sensor on the newer models. You can install one on this model. That's what we have done. We have two kids and four dogs. The dogs and kids have put their fair share of wear on this car, but it cleans easily. It is roomy and comfortable. We love traveling in this car. My family is itching to get a new car, but I can't part with my Sequoia yet. I know it still has some good years left in it. I don't like the bigger size of the new Sequoia's, so I'll probably switch to a 4Runner when the time comes. I will definitely stick with Toyota! It's the only car I've ever owned that has been totally dependable in every way."

Greatest SUV!

By on Saturday, March 31, 2012

Pros: "So reliable and well made"

Cons: "Poor gas mileage"

"This is the second Sequoia that I have owned. They are the best large SUV on the market! I just wish they had not changed the body style or I would buy another one. The only thing that needs to be improved is the gas mileage. It gets terrible gas mileage. On another note, though, it is such a reliable, well made vehicle that it is worth paying extra in gas charges."

Dependable

By on Thursday, October 9, 2008

"The 01 Sequoia is a great vehicle. I have 210K on mine and it's still tight. Toyota engines will run forever!!!"

Awesome vehicle

By on Thursday, June 21, 2007

"I love this vehicle!!! I have been driving suburbans and tahoes for the past 5 years, and this vehicle tops them all. It is so comfortable, has lots of storage compartments, and it is just a very smooth ride. I don't think I will ever want to buy anything else!"

Best vehicle in my garage!!!

By on Saturday, April 12, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive :)"

Cons: "plastic handles easily break :("

"drives really nicely for a big truck. wonderful smooth ride, lots of power and speed, will take you anywhere accross the miles just follow every recommended maintenance service and you wont go wrong. will hold on to this baby 'til it falls apart!"

Great SUV. Comfort and quality.

By on Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Cons: "mpg-14-22"

"A quiet and comfortable ride with no major repairs so far. Good all around ride with room for eight. Nice in the snow. Mine has lots of miles, still burns no oil. Replaced a few timing belts and did most of the maintenance, all oil changes. I think it would be a wise used car buy."

Great SUV

By on Sunday, May 17, 2009

"We bought a 2007 SR5 4wd at season's end. Overall, we are very satisfied. Good visibility, comfortable seats, and very reliable. I like the exterior style better than new models--more land cruiser styling, however, the interior is a bit dated--with a casette player. Now with 20k miles, the engine feels like it is only now breaking in. Excellent vehicle in the snow and off road on our farm we never worry about getting stuck."

Love!

By on Sunday, November 17, 2013

Cons: "NONE"

"Bought this car under a year old with 10k miles on it and have never had a problem. Routine oil changes, brakes, tires, and occasional tie rod ... and that is it. I installed an after market DVD system for my 5 kids and an IPOD player for me. Toyota recalled mine this summer and they spent a bunch of money rust proofing the undercarriage and spare tire plate. This SUV is nearly impossible for me to replace. I am starting to get the itch for a newer car with blue tooth and so on (and my family size has shrunk from 7 to 6 ish), but nothing out there has really grabbed my attention and demanded that I sell my Sequoia to get get something new. Acura MDX is about the only thing that has come close, and it is in a different category all together. In fact, I like my year Sequoia better than the current model. Looks like she and I will be together for a few more years!"

Excellent vehicle. Plows through the snow!

By on Thursday, February 16, 2012

Pros: "High quality,"

Cons: "Had to replace the electronic brain ($800)"

"Overall a very good vehicle. We've owned this one for 4 yrs and love it. Lots of room with the 3rd row of seats. Toyotas are just excellent quality. We plan on keeping it at least another 4 yrs!"

Big Hunka' Machine

By on Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Pros: "Roomy, comfortable, good on the fly 4WD,"

Cons: "Gas Milage, up front cost"

"We got our 2001 Sequoia with about 30K miles on it and have driven the wheels off of it several times. The ride is smooth and quiet on the highway and even the back seats are comfortable for full sized adults. When we first got it we could sometimes squeek out 20mpg on the freeway, but has the years have gone by we average around 14mpg. We did have to replace the coil packs at around 175K, but other than that and routine maintenence we've not had any problems with it. We will be downsizing soon for gas milage but havn't decided what we are going to get yet. It won't be another Sequoia simply because we don't have that kind of money this time around."

Great Family Vehicle-Crash Tested

By on Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Pros: "Safety, Comfort, Reliabilty"

Cons: "Mileage"

"I bought this vehicle for three reasons... 1. Growing family 2. Reliability 3. Safety. It has lived up to all three expectations. I found out a large oak tree jumped in front of the truck during a white-out snow storm two years ago when I got a frantic call from my wife saying truck doesn't look so good but her and the kids were all fine. All were wearing seat belts and suffered only bruises. Tree made it all the way to the dash-board but truck held up. I immediately starting looking for the same vehicle to purchase again. I wouldn't put my family in anything less."

Love the comfort and reliability

By on Monday, September 19, 2011

Pros: "Roomy and comfortable"

Cons: "Uses a lot of gas"

"It has been a great SUV. Large and spacious. Uses a lot of gas, but that what you expect with a V8. Had no serious problems."

Nice truck

By on Monday, September 5, 2011

"Never a problem"

Worth the money

By on Wednesday, July 28, 2010

"Had a 1997 4Runner and upgraded to the Sequoia after the 3rd child. Holding all 4 kids comfortably traveling anywhere in any condition, especially snow and winter weather. Bought it with 40k miles and currently rolled 91k on the ODO. Do the maintainence and it will last for 250k easy. Performance and everyday driving is top notch. Watch out for trickly things like the brake fluid levels and VSC lights. There's a lot of "smarts" in the truck. Minor things can cause lots of warning lights - so read up on the details / forums. Next step is the Land Cruiser once the kids get older......."

The Best SUV!!

By on Monday, February 4, 2008

"This is the best full size SUV on the market. The resale value is very high and the reliability is remarkable. I have owned 2 4-runners in the past and needed to purchase a bigger vehicle to accomadate my growing family. After testing out many other full size SUV's on the market there was no comparason to the Saqouia. I own a 2006 with 24,000 miles and have not had to put a dime into this vehicle in the 2 years that I've owned it. Other than scheduled maintainance. What can I say it's a Toyota."

2004 Limited 4wheel drive

By on Sunday, November 11, 2007

"SUV was purchased in 2004 new with extended warranty. Has 36K miles. Low maintenance and cost. Recall 2007 for front ball joints. Had to report Toyota to NHSTB to get the ball joints done! Driven to tri- states from california. Seats 7 comfortably. Front leather driver seat replaced by toyota because of cracking. One tire wearing on Dunlop ATV20 tires recently based on recall issue of ball joints. Toyota refuses to replace tire! Only have used 4 wheel drive once when stuck in sand at camp site. Blew out fuse in cigaretee lighter and lost use of power mirrors but toyota covered it. Fuse was replaced. Drives smooth and like a tank. Nickname " the White Beast". Added FM satellite and excellent sound system from JBL speakers. Replaced front breaks at 28k. Emergency parkiing adjusted twice. Very good vehicle. Would recommend with extended warranty. No problems from DVD player"

Love this truck

By on Monday, September 10, 2012

Pros: "Comfortable, roomy, reliable, easy to drive"

Cons: "a bit low on the gas mileage"

"It is so roomy and rides wonderfully. I have had it 7 years, and it was three years old when I bought it. It has been a dream to maintain, nothing major-just the regular scheduled maintenance. I would definitely buy another if I still needed the room."

The most reliable and wonderful car I ever had!!!

By on Thursday, April 5, 2012

Pros: "Looks great, very reliable, holds value well"

Cons: "At times hard to get kids in and out do car"

"I bought my car brand new in 2003 and have not had one problem with it. The only thing I have had done was 2 sets of new tires and two batteries. I cannot say enought about mya sequoia and I will miss it dearly! Was perfect for raising our 2 kids also. Never wanted a mini van and this worked great for us!"

Great Vehicle

By on Saturday, December 3, 2011

Pros: "Reliability and comfort."

Cons: "Some electrical issues."

"The only issues I've had in ownership were the back window motor went bad and the left side driver mirror broke. Everything else has been trouble free. Note, if the back window doesn't work, it may not be the motor. If the back window doesn't close all the way, or it gets stuck from misuse, the cars computer will turn off the window motor, rear wiper, rear washer, and rear defroster. Mine got stuck several times. The last time they also replaced the motor."

Great, reliable vehicle!

By on Saturday, October 29, 2011

Pros: "Great size, reliable"

Cons: "Wish it had multi disc instead of single."

"Have owned this for many years and still going strong! Have not had any issues with it at all. The 3rd row is easily removed if you need to haul something. I have a hitch on mine and pulling is easy! Roomy enough for all my carpooling! Love this suv!"

Best vehicle ever!

By on Monday, September 12, 2011

"This is by far the best vehicle I've ever owned. It is extremely reliable. And, at 200K miles, the only think we've had to replace is tires and brakes! My next car will be a Toyota too, that is if this one ever wears out!"

300k miles goal

By on Friday, October 15, 2010

"Bought it new on 03' i have driven it for 172,500 miles and still has full power & drives like new. Quiet and comfortable ride. Parents own an 05' Navigator with less than 80,000 miles and Does Not drive as well as my Sequoia! They are going to trade in their Super Unleaded Only, gas gusler for a Sequoia. There is really no comparison to Toyota workmanship. My goal is to drive my Sequioa for another 100,000 on same engine. 300,000 is my goal, drive it till engine seizes, then rebuild engine and pass it on to my son."