2013 Toyota RAV4

8.3

Based on 150 Ratings for the 2013 - 2017 models.

Very Good for a smaller SUV

By on Saturday, June 3, 2017

Pros: "reliability, price, mpg, interior room, technology"

Cons: "Smaller and lower than Im used to"

"Ive owned a few 4Runners and I just retired my Land Cruiser to second car duty when I bought the 2017 Rav4 XLE. I must say Im impressed with the interior room of the Rav4. Its front seats have more room both side to side and leg room than any of my 4Runners and its surprisingly not much smaller than my 2000 Land Cruiser. That would have been a deal breaker for me if it was smaller than the 4Runners because Im a big guy at 61 225 lbs. The fuel economy is my 2nd favorite thing, almost doubling my LC mpg. The tech is a lot of fun and very functional. The only disappointment was that I thought it had full GPS, but it has instead an assisted GPS called GPS scout that requires use of your cell phone data to work through the app. So I added a DVR front and back cameras with an add on mirror that also includes regular GPS through android apps. Now Im happy with the setup, since I didnt spring for the 360 degree birds eye view system in the Platinum model with the 4 camera system. Ive got all the technology I need. The safety features are over the top, but welcome since Im driving a much smaller vehicle than Im used to."

Extremely reliable and comfortable.

By on Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Pros: "See complete review."

Cons: "See complete review."

"Just a few quick observations as a new buyer two months ago: car has great acceleration and nice package of details that do their own thinking, e.g., back up screen, brakes that respond quickly to changing situations, lights and all wheel drive that kick in as needed. I dont like the mileage and dont believe I can ever achieve what is stated. I get about 24.3 on highway and just under 20 for local driving. When they test the car, I doubt that they test it on city streets where one has to wait for so many light changes, and thus burn gas. Also, the doors move out of ones hand fast when one opens the doors, so one has to have a firm hand on them to ensure that the door does not hit something, like the car parked next to it."

My 1st hybrid - efficient and drivable!

By on Thursday, June 29, 2017

Pros: "Excellent gas mileage, good safety technology"

Cons: "Can command premium price at dealership"

"Bought my 2016 RAV4 Hybrid Limited used - the elderly owner liked it but I think the technology confused him terribly. Dealers were trying to sell me used ones at new prices, and I waited and found one that was for sale by owner and very gently used. He was averaging 31 miles per gallon, told me with a gentle touch, I might get 32mpg on the highway. I took it off the Sport mode, put it on Eco mode, and have put on 7K miles more. Tracking my mpg, the car now averages and overall 35.4 mpg, which means that since I have been driving (I am not a hypermiler, just not an aggressive driver),I am getting over 38 mpg in about 50-50 city/highway driving. The power is there when I need it, and the electric - gas engine transition is ALMOST seemless. The car is so much quieter than other cars I have owned. The iAWD handled the light snow and ice this last winter without a problem (although I really think the tires make all the world of difference). A friend drove mine for a short period and ended up buying one. I dont think that either of us have anything close to buyers remorse. (If anyone is wondering why there are no apostrophes in this review, it is because this text field edits them out!)"

Amazing First New Car

By on Thursday, May 14, 2015

Pros: "resale value, space, great standard features"

"I purchased this car before starting grad school, and it has been one of the best decisions I've ever made!!!! I shopped around for 6 months before I came to a decision. They have VASTLY improved the aesthetics of the vehicle (both exterior and interior) compared to the pre 2013 models. I had liked the RAV4 more than any of the cars I had looked at except for the exterior, but by the time I decided what car to buy, they had the revamped 2013s out. I knew this was the best car for me. Other cars I looked at included the Mini Cooper Countryman, Honda CRV, Mazda CX5, VW Tiguan, Nissan Rogue and Morano, and Subaru Crosstrek. Nissan had a lot of nice interior features, but it just felt cheap in the end; it also had VERY poor visibility through the back window. I didn't really like the CVT of the Crosstrek when I drove it on the highway, nor did I like the body of the car much (it's too station wagon-y for me). Both the VW Tiguan and the Mini Countryman were just lovely, but neither had as much space as the RAV4, and both were way more expensive for the same amount of interior features (heated seats, dual-zone climate control, keyless entry, push to start, etc). They also can't hold a candle to Toyota's resale value. Did I mention the RAV4 has a sport mode button that makes it super fun to drive? That was another concern I had when comparing it to the Mini, but the sport mode took care of that. The Mazda CX5 was also a bit pricier for the same features, and also doesn't have quite as good of a resale value as Toyota. The Honda CRV was probably the main contender, but the body is very unattractive in my opinion. I will be moving around a lot for the next few years because of school, and I am so happy that I'll have this car to rely on. Folding the back seats down gives you SO much space in the back! Perfect for packing up all my things and moving in one trip (most of my furniture is cheap Ikea stuff that can be broken down and rebuilt easily). It's also incredibly comfortable if I'm driving somewhere with friends. I debated for a while if I wanted to get the upgraded speakers/navi option, and I ended up not getting it. I was afraid that I would regret my decision after spending some time listening to music in the car, but I was wrong- it sounds great! The navi would have been nice to have, but we all have navigation on our phones these days, so it's not that big of a deal. I have also had the pleasure of driving this car up and down the mountains of WV in heavy snow, and it has far exceeded my expectations! My previous vehicle was a 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport. I didn't think I would be comfortable driving anything but a Jeep in snow after that, but I was very wrong. The RAV4 does a great job as long as you know how to drive in the snow properly. Overall an EXCELLENT PURCHASE, and I am absolutely elated to see the resale value on the vehicle today. I got an excellent deal on the car, so I only lost about $700 between the retail price when it was new and the fair purchase price KBB gave it today. HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT!"

RAV Hybrid gets 36 mpg over 8000 miles

By on Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Pros: "Fuel economy, ride, acceleration, interior space"

Cons: "Lousy touch screen apps."

"I have used the RAV Hybrid XLE for two fairly long trips, around town and a daily 30 mile commute over hilly country. I keep up with traffic but have got a terrific 36 mpg average over 8000 miles. I dont get the 32 mpg rating which is way too conservative. The rear seat room is very generous and passengers always comment about it. Its a pleasure to drive. The ride is compliant but without major body lean in corners. The navigation system is disappointing and mine has a number of local road errors. Toyota cant compete with Apple Play and need to stop trying to be entertainment/nav software developers. Their app suite is near useless."