2009 Toyota RAV4

Based on 702 Ratings for the 2006 - 2012 models.

Excellent, reliable vehicle, worth its money

By on Monday, July 4, 2016

"third rav4, no problems with any, very reliable, you get your full money's worth, peppy, fun to drive, feel safe inside, will consider new rav4 when ready to move up!"

BEST EVER VEHICLE

By on Thursday, September 20, 2012

Pros: "Suv for the gas of a shoe box"

"Own this Suv since 2/8/10 and it is great.Gas milage is 25-26 mpg city with a/c and 30 mpg hwy truck does not know what the dealer is.Both my wife a I love this suv.We have the 180 hp 4 cyl and has more than ample power getting on hwy."

My favorite vehicle I've ever owned

By on Friday, September 16, 2016

Pros: "Great power V6 power! Plenty of room! Great looks!"

Cons: "No bluetooth in the Limited with Nav."

"I drive a 2009 Rav4 V6 Limited. This is by far the best car I've ever driven. I was driving a 2005 Corolla XRS (which is also really fun) but a job change required a longer commute and I no longer wanted to drive a manual car. I detail cars as a hobby and I needed something with the rear space for all my gear without sacrificing the back seat. Out of all of the SUVs this size, the Rav4 had the most functional space back there. The spare tire being on the back made it possible to have a HUGE pit in the back which allowed me plenty of room to bring everything I need with me. Some may not like the spare tire back there or the fact the door opens toward the curb, but I really don't care. If it were a hatch then they wouldn't have been able to put the tire back there. The fact it opens to the curb doesn't bother me either. It means the door handle is on the driver side, which makes it super convenient for me to get into it when I get out of the car. I've never had a problem with the direction the door opens, but I guess some people gotta complain about something. I love the ride height in this car. It is higher than a car, but not like a full sized SUV. It is just perfect for me. I never bottom out on anything and it is plenty high enough to clear a curb if you needed to drive over one. Someone thought this out well. The power is awesome. The 4 banger can't even get out of its own way, let alone anybody else. The V6 has plenty of power to get me on and off the freeway without fearing the guy coming up the right lane at 90 mph is going to kill me. I know it says 0-60 in less than 7 seconds, but I'd say it is significantly less. We aren't talking about GTR 3.5 second speeds or anything, but it is quick. And the fact I get 25mpg on a regular basis makes it even better. I was lucky to get that from my 99 Integra GSR and this has significantly more power and is heavier. They've done a good thing with this motor. I'm a tall guy (6'1") and I've got plenty of room inside. I've also got bad knees, so having them scrunched up in the car is a bad thing. No problems here. Even when I have the seat where I need it for my height there is still plenty of space in the second row. This car has been perfect as far as space goes. We went on a family road trip last summer and logged nearly 2000 miles in this car and it was great. 3 kids in the back and me and my wife up front and nobody was too close or too squished. Plenty of room in the back for everything we needed to keep them busy. Plus we were pulling a tent trailer the whole time. We went from Salt Lake City down to the Grand Canyon, across to 4 Corners, then up through Moab back to SLC. No problems whatsoever and that is some serious altitude changes on that trip. It's an awesome power wagon with great space and comfort. I love the body style to this car. It is just right. The changes they made from 2008 to 2009 were spot on. I just love it. As I said, I detail cars, so I get my hands all over so many cars every year that I can't even count. Of course I'd love a Cayenne or an X5 or something like that, but I don't like any of their shapes more than the Rav4 and the interiors aren't set up for what I need it for. There isn't a 'best' for everybody, but this car is definitely the best for me in my stage of life with the things I need it to do. Whatever you do, don't buy the four cylinder version of this car. It has the space, but none of the power. And definitely get one that gives you the keyless doors and push button start. That is an awesome feature. The only thing the SPORT gives you that the LIMITED doesn't are features you can easily add on yourself. It has a stiffer ride and will cost you more to replace the tires on the larger rims. You can get the SAP with the spare tire delete, but it isn't worth it. Get the LIMITED with the keyless start and you'll be so happy you did."

Good value for money

By on Thursday, April 11, 2013

Pros: "Roomy & good to drive"

Cons: "Gas mileage & road noise on highways"

"I bought a certified 2011 RAV4 in Jul-12 based on strong recommendation from some of my buddies in the Middle East. I should say I am not disappointed overall. While the SUV handles itself well on the highways, the road noise is on the higher side & gas mileage is less than expected (19mpg city & 22mpg highway). Considering to trade it in for a Mazda CX5 or Acura RDX soon."

Best car ever!

By on Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Pros: "great acceleration, utility (hauling, traveling)"

Cons: "they don't make the V6 anymore"

"This car has been perfect: safe, great handling, can tow a boat, move us across the country, etc. In general I see a car as simple transportation, but I LOVE my RAV with the V6."

Sport V6 116,000 miles Fantastic car

By on Tuesday, July 31, 2012

"Reliable and running strong all these miles later. Very safe car and really fun (fast) to drive. Like the full time 4wd, JBL stereo (paid extra for) sunroof. Low maintanence with no major problems at all. Would not hesitate to buy another one. Won't need to anytime soon though as this one just keeps keepin' on like she was brand new."

Surprisingly roomy and comfortable-no frills

By on Saturday, November 30, 2013

Pros: "roomy, comfortable, reliable,"

Cons: "city MPG,"

"We bought this SUV because we needed a reliable, affordable vehicle for traveling from FL to TN a few times a year and we've been very happy. It has plenty of room for my wife and I plus our 45 pound dog. It's comfortable on long car rides and the 4cyl has enough power to merge into speeding traffic. The only negatives are that we only get around 23MPG city-I was hoping for 25 with it being a 4cyl. Also, it's not a luxury vehicle, the interior has hints of cheapness. This thing is incredibly roomy inside for it's size. I've hauled everything from plants to 1,000 pounds of lumber-I don't recommend this. Overall, we're very happy."

Super efficient and reliable

By on Thursday, October 31, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, mpg averages 25+mpg (129000 miles)"

"My Rav4 is a 2002. I purchased it when it had 92,000 miles on it. That was 4.5 years ago. It has been reliable beyond belief. I LOVE the wide opening back door (forget those lift-up hacthbacks). And I wasn't afraid to buy it with 92,000 miles on it because it's a Toyota. It's my 5th Toyota. And I've owned Ford, Nissan, Mazda in the past also."

2006 Rav4 Sport

By on Monday, October 19, 2009

"I love my Rav4, which is saying a lot because I have had a slew of problems reflecting poor workmanship. I am on my third multi-cd changer stereo. The first was broken when I drove it off the lot. The second had a short. Luckily, all on warranty. I was also one of the unfortunate Rav 4 owners to find a floorboard leak evidenced by 2 inches of water on the front passenger side of the vehicle. After some ridiculously bad customer service I ultimately had it repaired under warranty including new carpet. I was also lucky to have felt the steering problem coming on in the first 15,000 miles. I complained at every major service and finally at 53,000 miles they were able to diagnose the problem as a boot that was not positioned properly. Fortunately I had it well documented and they made the repair on warranty. The estimate I received, for anyone considering paying for the repair was $775. The one remaining problem I struggle with is the slow acceleration, especially when the engine is cold. I was sure to complain about this problem throughout my major services. So, if there is every a solution, hopefully that will be covered too. The short story if you're considering a used Rav 4 is that it's a great car. Just be sure to buy one that has had all of the known problems repaired prior to your purchase! Now that everything is in good working order I love driving my Rav4!"

Rav4 Sport

By on Saturday, October 6, 2007

"This vehicle is the real deal! The combination of power it provides and the mileage it gets are unparallelled in any other that I've driven. The backseat has plenty of room to stretch out my 6'2" frame. My only complaint is that the driving position is a bit tight for me. My smaller wife loves to drive it....everywhere. So much so that we need a 50K warranty. This one will be up in a year and a half!"

Great, low-maintenance SUV, w/ total versatility

By on Friday, March 30, 2012

Pros: "inexpensive to run, great features and versatility"

Cons: "cheap plastic dash, known issues to Toyota in TSB."

"I love my RAV4 it's as close to perfection as any car I've ever owned. I'm a very picky car owner. I'm picky with how a vehicle handles, how ergonomic the interior is, picky about the economy, and picky about how it's engineered, picky when I find out the manufacturer's short-cuts. There are only a few things I would change about my RAV4 - more insulation to make it ride quieter, better dash/door panel plastics would feel more high-quality, and a more rigid chassis to keep it feeling sturdier on rough roads.I wish there were a MAX A/C button on my auto climate control and a 110v outlet. For engineering aspects, considering this is a first year of a new model, its short-comings are pretty low, but irritating, nonetheless. The valve cover has a design fault that causes it burn oil (about 1 qt every 3k miles) which I don't consider okay, but apparently every car company does. hmph! And, the when making sharp turns at low speeds, the steering wheel makes a click/clunk sound that you can feel through the wheel. It's not dangerous as far as I have researched, but annoying and kinda expensive to repair. Also, Toyota releases Technical Service Bulletins to Toyota Service, but does not inform customers to alert them to check if they have any known symptoms, so now those items when noticed are often out of warranty. Other than that - I bought the car at 69k miles 3 years ago, and it hasn't really depreciated much since then with all the added mileage. It's often confused for a Lexus. The interior is very spacious, and I can fit into tight spots with little effort. It drives over curbs, rocks, bumps easily (mine is 2wd) and takes me through rough Baja roads on my long road trips. I can fit a ton of cargo. I average mid-20s city/highway mix, and I drive fast and rough. 30 on freeway at 60 mph. Engine oil, transmission, brake fluids and pads/rotors, tire rotations, air and cabin air filters are the only maintenance it needs. Oh and plugs at 100k. My 528i was a beautiful car, but a pain to own in many ways. This RAV4 if downright angelic compared to the Bimmer."

Great SUV

By on Wednesday, June 30, 2010

"I was laid back at the 2.5 ltr 4 cylinder til i drove it. It has more torque and Hp than my V6 sonata had that i traded. Great car like ride,22-23mpg city in summer and winter 25-26 city and 28 hwy. It can comfortably tow 1500 lbs.Fit and finish is flawless. Gets some getting use to the "Smart Key",you never need the keys in hand anymore. Insurance is about $20 more per 6 months but it is a 28K rav.I needed a suv that i can get in and out easy,plus the drivers seat adjusts with lumbar,almost can sleep in it.A/c cools the truck off very very quickly."

best suv

By on Monday, March 24, 2008

"Compared to my 99 honda crv, you can't top the 2008 rav4. I have owned several honda's, there great cars but alot of road noise. Also I have owned toyota's but they are much better handling ans the ride is smooth less road noise compare to the honda's I've have owned. Even the new 08's honda's have alot of road noise. This 08 rav4 rides like a sedan, cuts through corners with very little body lean, great horsepower for a 4 cyl. Great gas mileage, good interior space. I would highly recommend this suv compared to other suvs for the price, handling etc......"

Excellent Choice

By on Wednesday, September 19, 2007

"I looked for a year to replace my minivan since my children are now grown & gone. I have always bought American cars, but just couldn't find anything that met my needs. I bought the '06 Limited 2 wheel drive with the V6. It flies like the wind, and gets ~25mpg around the city and ~29mph highway. It has a great sound system and lots of room for hauling everything I need to. There is great legroom in the back seat which is very hard to find in most cars. I don't like that I have to get the oil changed at the dealer since they haven't released the oil filter to the aftermarket. This makes my routine maintenance slow and overly expensive. The seats get a little uncomfortable near the end of a long trip, but all in all I love it."

Really like it!

By on Saturday, March 1, 2014

Pros: "Handling, esp in snow and slippery conditions."

Cons: "Really wish it had a driver side arm rest."

"My first Toyota. Very happy overall with car. Annoying number of recalls to have it checked for. I usually wait until I get several before I even bother to take it, as all has been fine. I do take it to my own mechanic as I feel the dealer is not only overpriced but keeps recommending I have things done that both myself and my mechanic feel can either wait on or do not need at all."

I LOVE it!!!

By on Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, hauls a lot of cargo, great safety f"

Cons: "rims rust, multiple recalls"

"My first NEW car and I'm 60. Love the way back hatch swings out from the side. I get a lot of requests from strangers to tell them how much I like this car. Roomy interior, comfortable seats, great for hauling loads when seats are folded down. Tire rims began to rust around nuts first year though and Toyota could do nothing to fix. Also, this car has had3-4 recalls on it. All fixed promptly though and no safety issues. I wish I could give one to my daughter."

Best vehicle I have owned

By on Sunday, March 24, 2013

Pros: "An exrtremely dependable vehicle, reasonable price"

"This vehicle is the most dependable auto that I have ever owned (my 14th vehicle - ranging from 1953 Ford Fairlane to BMW 528). I have had fewest problems with the RAV4, will probably buy another as soon as I have all the reviews on a 2013 model."

great car except in the snow

By on Sunday, February 17, 2013

Pros: "perfect size, easy to drive"

Cons: "does not handle well in snow"

"I have a 2WD. Love it except for driving in snow or bad weather. Since it is light, it does not drive well at all in bad weather. If you live anywhere you get snow, I suggest a 4WD or AWD."

Fun & Sporty!

By on Friday, October 2, 2009

"I recently purchased a 2010 Rav4 Sport V6 4x4 (without the spare tire on the back) and absolutely love it! I test drove the Honda CRV first and as soon as I test drove the Toyota Rav4, the choice was clear. The V6 made a huge difference in terms of performance and was worth paying a little more for. The Honda CRV had no spunk since it's only available in a 4 cylinder. Plus, the styling of the Toyota Rav4 is much more sportier than the Honda CRV. I opted for the cloth seats, which I was a little worried about at first since my previous car had leather. Surprisingly, the cloth seats are very plush and comfortable. The only feature I wish it had are automatic door locks once you start the car (or reach over 5 miles an hour) and a way to unlock the trunk from inside the car rather than just on the smart key. Other than that, I have no complaints about this car so far!"

A BIG FLOP

By on Wednesday, September 26, 2007

"BAD POINTS 1]THE 4 WHEEL DRIVE SHUTS OFF AT 25 MPH 2] WHERE IS THE 25 TO 28 MPH,HOW ABOUT 19 MPH 3] CANT OPERATE THE RADIO WHEN IT ABOVE 90 DEGREES OUTSIDE,BUT OF COURSE IT WORKS WHEN YOU BRING IT IN FOR SERVICE 4] THE SEATS ARE A JOKE FOR SOMEONE WHO IS 6" 2. GOOD POINTS-THE LOOKS"

Low maintenance, fun to drive vehicle.

By on Thursday, November 29, 2012

Pros: "Good HP, fun to drive, good gas mileage"

Cons: "Width too narrow"

"I have a 2007, V6 limited edition. Vehilce is very quick and lots of room for it's size, just a little narrow. Vehicle is also low maintenance and at 90,000 miles still runs like new. The V6 with 269 HP is quick and fun to drive. My only complaint is that the vehicle is too narrow. Needs to be about another 2-3 inches wider (need more elbow room). Also,get's good gas mileage, even with the V6 engine. A good choice if you are single or have a small family. Would not recommend for a large family."

Love the Toyota Rav 4, 4 cylinder, 4x4 AWD ......

By on Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Pros: "Very fun to drive."

Cons: "Needs lower gear and better interior."

"My gas mileage is averaging 24 with air conditioning. Since I have changed the transmission fluid and differential grease to synthetic and have not needed air conditioning in the last two weeks, my mileage has went up to 26.2-3 . I also like being able to put this vehicle in 4x4 and it will not come out until you reach a speed of 35 mile an hour. It is also automatic 4x4. It will be in t\front wheel drive until a wheel slips and them the 4 wheel kicks in. I do wish the interior was a little better, I have the base model. I also wish it had a lower crawling gear, low is OK but needs to be lower."

Great little SUV

By on Sunday, April 24, 2011

"This has been a great car, our first Toyota. We are usually Honda people, but have had just as much reliability with the RAV. It has great power, almost too much. We have the V6. Step on the peddle, this little sucker really moves in a hurry. Great car for winter roads, make often trips to upstate New York. We use it to tow our pop up trailer, always a champ. Outstanding sound system, have the premium system with nice subwoofers. Would like if it were a little more air-tight (like our Hondas), but we also have the 18" tires that are quite noisy. Which leads me to our only complaint - - cost of replacing the tires - - very expensive. Has been great car, no issues at all. City MPG average about 22, Hwy 25."

recall or no, great cars!!!

By on Friday, August 20, 2010

"I first leased a Rav4 in '02 then realized that I drove way too many miles for that to be a good idea. Therefore in '06 I PURCHASED my 2nd Rav4, which had been redesigned and made with substantially more space inside. I Loved it...as I still do today. I have been so comfortable (as my friends have also) in my Rav4 that in barely 4yrs, I have managed to put 91000.0 miles on my trusted Toyota. And she still performs for me as I expect, EVERYDAY! With the necessary upkeep this Toyota, as well as any I've ever been aware of, continues to be an absolutely reliable and comfortable car while also maintaining a nice appearance."

No complaints!

By on Friday, May 7, 2010

"After 2 1/2 years of owning one that had previously been in service for 6 months, we haven't had any major problems. I'm beginning to feel like getting the extra warranty was a waste of money! We've only spent repair money on wear and tear thus far. This has been a really great car - decent mileage, drives nicely, lots of room, reliable, and in a pinch we could sleep in it! Very happy so far!"