2004 Toyota RAV4

Based on 411 Ratings for the 2001 - 2005 models.

Terrific value. Rock solid never once failed me.

By on Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Pros: "highly reliable, superb value, rock solid, fun"

Cons: "not the prettiest looking car"

"I bought a 2001 RAV4 as a starter car when I got my first job. I thought I would buy a new in 5 years. But 13 years and 225,000 miles later, I still plan on using the 2001 RAV4 for a few more years! After 200,000 I have had two repairs - struts, sway bar bushings for ~$750 and a new catalytic converter for $1400. While >$2000, I expect the car to last another 30k miles at least without any major repair. This car has never once failed me when I needed it. Snow, rain, slush, mud, trails, highways you name it. I have move my belongings in it several times, used it transport snow blowers, generators, lots of garden stuff, home repair stuff like boards, drywall what not."

Great up to 8 years

By on Monday, July 9, 2012

Pros: "Great for first 8 years, easy to drive"

Cons: "Very costly once major problems begin."

"2003 Rav4 had no major problems until it hit 8 years old. Needed a new catalytic converter and 3 cylinders and spark plugs for $1800, a year later at 9 years old it needed a new water pump, exhaust system, wheel rod, tires, and battery for total $2000. This car is easy to drive because of small dimensions and higher height than a sedan. Very easy to parallel park because it's so short to fit in very small spots. Fortunately original cost of car is cheap - got it under $20000 new. Will probably keep and maintain if repair costs are under $2000 per year."

2002 RAV4-Good except...

By on Wednesday, March 30, 2011

"My girlfriend bought her RAV4 brand new in 2002 and it ran well for 98K miles with no problems. Until 1 day her transmission stopped shifting properly. After a bit of online research I thought that it might be the ECM (Toyota has has a service bulletin out on this since 2005). I brought it to a shop and sure enough a new ECM fixed it. A lot of people were not as lucky as we were & their ECM's ruined their transmissions. After a bit of arm twisting Toyota reimbursed us for the repair $1200. I figured that they should pay because they knew of potential problems with their 2000-2002 ECM's since 2005. Lots of people had to pay for new transmissions on their own. Other than that this car and the 3 Toyotas that I've owned have been great."

Love my Rav!

By on Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Pros: "Reliable, low maintenance, not too big."

"Bought this car in 2005, with 15,000 miles on it. Eleven years and 275,000 miles later, it has never let me down! Have to put some money into replacing wheel bearings, struts, etc. this winter, but the engine still runs like a top. Can't bear the thought of parting with it. Wish Toyota still made this nice little compact model."

BEST CAR I HAVE OWNED

By on Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Pros: "LOVE fun to drive, easy to handle, low cost to own"

Cons: "Comfort not best on long drives, more cup holders"

"ORIGINAL OWNER. 11 years and 180,000 miles. I absolutely love this car!! It is the BEST car I have owned. On a scale from 1 – 10, my RAV4 is an 11. I consistently keep my cars for 10 years, but I have no plans to get rid of this one any time soon. I really enjoy driving this car. It has great get up and go considering it’s a 4 cylinder. Incredible handling for a SUV. Nimble on the freeways and super easy to parallel park. I open the sunroof almost daily. The roof rack not only looks great, but comes in handy. The fog lights help me to see much more clearly at night. I love how the rear door opens and the cargo cover is a great feature. The only thing I don’t enjoy about this car is so minor. I really hate to even mention it and I don’t want to appear that I’m complaining… …but on long trips (12-14 hour drives), my RAV 4 can become “slightly cramped and a little uncomfortable”. However, the advantages the 2005’s smaller body has, far out number this one negative comfort trait that is common in just about all smaller cars."