2002 Toyota RAV4

Based on 414 Ratings for the 2001 - 2005 models.

Terrific value. Rock solid never once failed me.

By on Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Pros: "highly reliable, superb value, rock solid, fun"

Cons: "not the prettiest looking car"

"I bought a 2001 RAV4 as a starter car when I got my first job. I thought I would buy a new in 5 years. But 13 years and 225,000 miles later, I still plan on using the 2001 RAV4 for a few more years! After 200,000 I have had two repairs - struts, sway bar bushings for ~$750 and a new catalytic converter for $1400. While >$2000, I expect the car to last another 30k miles at least without any major repair. This car has never once failed me when I needed it. Snow, rain, slush, mud, trails, highways you name it. I have move my belongings in it several times, used it transport snow blowers, generators, lots of garden stuff, home repair stuff like boards, drywall what not."

Great up to 8 years

By on Monday, July 9, 2012

Pros: "Great for first 8 years, easy to drive"

Cons: "Very costly once major problems begin."

"2003 Rav4 had no major problems until it hit 8 years old. Needed a new catalytic converter and 3 cylinders and spark plugs for $1800, a year later at 9 years old it needed a new water pump, exhaust system, wheel rod, tires, and battery for total $2000. This car is easy to drive because of small dimensions and higher height than a sedan. Very easy to parallel park because it's so short to fit in very small spots. Fortunately original cost of car is cheap - got it under $20000 new. Will probably keep and maintain if repair costs are under $2000 per year."

I got my moneys worth!!!

By on Friday, August 5, 2016

Reason: traded it in

"I Loved this car so much, but had to stop driving due to medical issues. I gave it to my daughter and she has had minimal problems, normal maintenance for a 16 year old car. The reason for trading it was because she needed a larger car for 3 children, and the air conditioner finally gave up. Best car I have ever owned!!!"

greatest reliability in 55 yrs of driving.

By on Thursday, October 17, 2013

Pros: "balance on curves is great! leather seats a plus"

Cons: "back seat has short leg space."

"reliability is excellent. tires wear well.paint holds up well. never any transmission problems. Never had any engine leaks. Only normal maintenance needed. one set of breaks needed in 132,000 mi. never uses oil. only complaint, it is a little noisy when using snow tires. Not fond of anti lock breaks however."

12 years and I still LOVE this car

By on Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Pros: "mpg, spacious, AWD, retained value"

Cons: "small engine"

"I bought this car in college 1 year used and with 19K miles. Now it's 12 years and 100K miles later and I can't seem to find anything I think I will love as much as my RAV4. I've driven this car on the beach, up to the ski resorts in blizzards, to mountain bike trails with 2 bikes upright and fully assembled in the back, and coast to coast 3 times and it's been SO reliable. Enough space to squeeze 600lbs of my gear in the back, removable seats, adjustable cupholders fit and hold EVERY size mug, decent gas mileage and rather good looks are some of my favorite features. I do find the seats get uncomfortable after about 3h of driving, but stuffing a coat behind me for lumbar support fixes that. NO leaks, major repairs, or anything other than routine maintenance required, which I do myself. Downsides-it's a bit basic and the engine is small so it's not something you'll gun to pass anyone other than a Jeep...that's all I've got. If I were selling my used RAV4, I'd market to a teen's first car: great visibility, safe, decent gas mileage (I get about 22) and a bit underpowered so you know they won't be drag racing anyone. But I'm not selling just yet. :)"