2002 Toyota RAV4

Based on 412 Ratings for the 2001 - 2005 models.

12 years and I still LOVE this car

By on Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Pros: "mpg, spacious, AWD, retained value"

Cons: "small engine"

"I bought this car in college 1 year used and with 19K miles. Now it's 12 years and 100K miles later and I can't seem to find anything I think I will love as much as my RAV4. I've driven this car on the beach, up to the ski resorts in blizzards, to mountain bike trails with 2 bikes upright and fully assembled in the back, and coast to coast 3 times and it's been SO reliable. Enough space to squeeze 600lbs of my gear in the back, removable seats, adjustable cupholders fit and hold EVERY size mug, decent gas mileage and rather good looks are some of my favorite features. I do find the seats get uncomfortable after about 3h of driving, but stuffing a coat behind me for lumbar support fixes that. NO leaks, major repairs, or anything other than routine maintenance required, which I do myself. Downsides-it's a bit basic and the engine is small so it's not something you'll gun to pass anyone other than a Jeep...that's all I've got. If I were selling my used RAV4, I'd market to a teen's first car: great visibility, safe, decent gas mileage (I get about 22) and a bit underpowered so you know they won't be drag racing anyone. But I'm not selling just yet. :)"

has held up well for 12 years

By on Monday, September 1, 2014

Reason: trade in

Pros: "reliable and easy to maintain"

Cons: "ride could be a little more quiet"

"We purchased it at 120K and 82K later, it still looks and runs good. It is a great college kid car."

Owned mine 12 years!

By on Friday, July 18, 2014

Pros: "Fuel economy, VERY reliable, great gas milage,"

Cons: "Engine is a little weak"

"I have over 90,000 miles on my 2002 Rav and have never had any mechanical issues with it. It still drives great and looks great. Currently looking for new vics but only because I need a bit more size. Love this car!"

most reliable and fun car I've ever owned.

By on Friday, November 15, 2013

Pros: "4 usable cup holders, elevated seat position, fun"

Cons: "a bit noisy on the highway."

"The only thing that ever went wrong with this car was 4th gear, when it was still under warranty. I drove it 10 years in snow country, and only had to put on chains once. The 25-27 mpg was great. High driver's seat position is nice. Negatives: a bit under-powered, so you want the manual trans, so you can decide your own shift points. Also, there is no "granny" gear, so if you're in a very steep place, the clutch work needs to be precise."

Best Car I have owned

By on Monday, July 29, 2013

Cons: "No "cons" for me."

"I've loved my car since I purchase it new in 2003 with 25 mi. All of the milage has been driven by me up & down the East Coast from Maine to Key West and finally settling in Fla. The car has never left me stranded anywhere. I take credit for this by ensuring that it gets it's follow-up service changes. While living up north, during the winter months when other more newer models i.e. maxima's would not start with low temps, my motor with no effort just smoothly turn over and away we go. I have given some thought to upgrading after 10 yrs of service, but can't seem to let it go. I really have gotten fantastic service from this Rav 4."

Great SUV

By on Saturday, December 31, 2011

Pros: "fun to drive, great on gas, and very dependable"

Cons: "not as much cargo room in the older models"

"I absolutely love this little Rav4. This 4X4 gets around great in the snow, gets about 24-26 mpg, without any major issues. I just hope the new one I just bought is as good as this 2001 has been. I love the way it handles and rides. It is great with small kids. Just enough room to travel but small enough to not break the bank on gas mileage. I haven't had any major issues with it, changed the oil, regular maintenance items, and it has 140,000 miles and still going strong. I highly recommend this vehicle to anyone looking for a dependable SUV."

Great car, reliable, trustworthy low cost to own

By on Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Pros: "great in snow and on bad roads"

Cons: "rear seats do not remove or install easily"

"I have had nearly 130,000 trouble free miles on this car. Always starts, always gets me there. Feels great in the snow, inspires confidence and promotes a feeling of safety in poor conditions. I am not one to be at the dealer every time I turn around so sevice viits were minimal. Repairs were minimal. Had the original battery for over 100,000 miles, changed this year. Kept up on oil changes etc and it has served me way better than well. I expect another 100000 miles of reliable use without a doubt!"

Best Ever - RAV 4 "L"

By on Saturday, September 27, 2008

"I purchased my RAV 4, 4wd in Feb 2004. It now has 53,500 miles and I have just replaced the tires. This car has been the most reliable car I have ever owned. Not a single issue with it...ever! I am now passing it onto my daughter with the knowledge that she is getting a great and reliable vehicle. I travel 50 miles per day...about 40 on the highway and average 24 to 26 mpg. The car accelerates and handles corners very well...no doubt one of the best cars made by Toyota. The paintwork still looks new with no signs of rust. Good in the snow. The front seats could be a little more comfortable, but they have many adjustments every driver in our family managed to find the position they liked. OVERALL - A GREAT CAR!!!"

Best Ever

By on Monday, May 12, 2008

"I purchased this vehicle new over 4 years ago and have been very happy. I have only had routine maintenance/service performed on the vehicle and it runs like a dream. This is an all wheel drive vehicle that came standard with traction control and stabilty control. It is very reliable in the snow/ice but a little light weight in the rear. I drove in the anchorage bowl area for 4 winters with the factory tires and did fairly well. The abs combined with traction control is good enough for city driving, but this winter I started making a commute. I purchased Blizzak tires, which make a world of difference on how the vehicle handles. Controls are well placed, gas mileage is good, no complaints other than moderate road noise while on the highway. This vehicle has really held its value (4 years later I can recoup almost 70 percent of my investment)."

Nice lil SUV

By on Friday, February 22, 2008

"I just got myself a 2003 Rav4 this year and I am very impressed by this lil SUV. Prior to owning my Rav4 i had a Mustang. Well, now I have 3 kids and needed something a lil more spacious where I can fit 2 carseats in the back and the kids be comfortable. Not ready to to jump from a sports car to a mini van just yet. My fiancee and I went around to a couple local dealers to see what we would find because our credit isn't so great and when they showed us the Rav4, we were both SOLD! Traded the Mustang in and went home with the Rav4 that very night! So, not only is it a stylish lil SUV but it is sapcious, reliable and affordable. Already had to drive it in the snow and it handled like a charm. Great on gas! Engine is a lil noisy and could use a lil more leg room in the front but I cant complain, Im not the tall one. Thanx Toyota!"