1998 Toyota RAV4

Based on 300 Ratings for the 1996 - 2000 models.

Reliable and Fun

By on Saturday, January 19, 2008

"I am the original owner of my Rav4. I have had her for ten years and she is terrific. Extremely reliable with 175,000 miles on her. I just had to do basic maintaince and a tune up to the transmission. Good on gas too. The sound system is actually quite good. Air conditioning and heat, defrost, all are great and still in good working order."

Not perfect, but real good

By on Saturday, January 5, 2008

"I bought my 99 RAV in 2005. The former owner didn't realize that even though it's called a RAV-4, not all RAVs are 4 wheel drive; mine is front wheel drive; which is ok because it gets better gas mileage. It rides more like a pick-up truck than a car and takes bumps harshly. And I've had a chronic problem where the vehicle always stalls immediately after start up. Happens up to 10 -12 times before it finally stays to a level idle. Changed the fuel filter, air filter, spark plugs, used premium gas, fuel system cleaner - none of made a difference -- it still starts & stalls. The Toyota dealer couldn't explain it except to say "maybe vapor lock?" The engine light goes sometimes, switching from regular to a tank of premium of mid-level fuel turns the engine light off. Everything else on the RAV has always worked -- no problems at all. Look, there is no perfect car. But the RAV provides an unbelievably good view of the road, a very comfortable seating position (I'm 6'2"), has adequate power for a 2.0 liter engine, gets good mileage if you don't drive it like a fool, carries 4 people and some cargo, rear seats flip up or come out for carrying larger items, and it's really easy to do routine mantenance on. I've owned approximately 20 cars in my life and this thing is a keeper. The new RAVs are getting really expensive but you if you take care of it you should get 200,000 miles before it hits the junkyard."

Best on the Road

By on Monday, October 22, 2007

"I have owned this car since 1997. 130,000 miles later it is still running like brand new. We have kept regular maintence on this car and have NEVER! had one thing break. This is the best and most dependable car we have ever owned. I am sure we will still be driving it 10 years from now."

Great Little Vehicle

By on Saturday, September 8, 2007

"I bought this car when it had over 90,000 miles on it. The only work I have had to do is change the brakes and oil It is a good running car. I would say it averages about 30 miles to the gallon on the highway. I have enjoyed this car."

Totally reliable vehicle

By on Tuesday, August 28, 2007

"I bought my 1997 Rav 4 used in 2000 and have had nothing but great things to say about it ever since. I've done the oil changes, tires (2 x as of yesterday) and finally decided I should do the belts at 100,000 "just because". The car has NEVER broken down and we always use it in bad weather since it's manual and has more control."

Great SUV!

By on Sunday, July 15, 2007

"I bought this suv in 1999. It had been a lease car for 3 years. It has been one of the best vehicles I have ever owned. I have had no problems with it what so ever. It has 99000 miles on it & it still sounds & acts like brand new. If your looking for a small vehicle this is one I would recommend without hesitation. My only problem now is, I need one a little larger. So am looking into the Highlanders. Really hate to see this one go!!"

Value and fun

By on Saturday, July 7, 2007

"I love this car. I hate to sell it, but it is time to by a 21st century car. It was reliable, comfortable, safe. Only "problem" in 8 years, cad to change out battery twice. I'd recommend this model to anyone. Just wish they'd make a new hybrid version."

Best car I have ever owned

By on Thursday, December 18, 2014

Pros: "very reliable, cheap to own, fun to drive"

Cons: "At 200,000 it started to need more maintenance"

"I bought my 1998 Toyota RAV4 as a used car when it was 5 years old, in 2003, for $10,000, and it's now the end of 2014, and I'm still driving it. It's a very reliable and trustworthy car. I have driven it across the United States and Canada several times, moved in it several times, and carried furniture and pets and boxes and camping gear in it. In the 11 years I have owned it, I have replaced the tires twice, the brakes once, the timing belt once, and the transmission once. At 257,000 miles it finally developed a problem difficult to fix: the EGR emission system is buggy now. But that's it. The car still runs great!"

Best Car Ever

By on Friday, March 14, 2014

Pros: "Dependability, durability, appearance, performance"

Cons: "Replaced water pump twice."

"I've put a little money in it but after 16 years it still looks great, no body rust ever, repairs have been only wear and tear items. Goes anywhere in snow and ice. Interior as good as day I bought it except normal wear on carpets. Still 22 23 mpg as when new. 192000 miles and will definitely make it to a quarter million. Still get compliments from strangers and those who know the car still make me offers to buy it."

A champion

By on Thursday, September 5, 2013

Pros: "great price, fun to drive, cute!"

Cons: "Ride a little bumpy, had to add cup holder"

"This cute little Rav has it all! The clock even works! It Toyota- known for it's dependability( I drive it to work 60 miles daily.) If the new ones were as cute as this, I would have bought it instead of my Nissan Kia. Insurance on 4 cars takes a chunk out of the monthly budget :( or I would be happy just watching it sit at the curb. The AC works! Radio still works, also. Put quiet tires on it."

Wonderful vehicle

By on Sunday, August 12, 2012

Pros: "Great price, awesome car"

Cons: "updated stereo system for MP3 brand new speakers"

"1998 Toyota RAV 4 has a lot of miles on it but still has a lot left. It has a few minor dings but no major body damage. Everything still works great AC and heat! Roomie sits 5 comfortably and huge trunk space! Updated stereo system installed with remote control, MP3 compatible, FM/AM and CD, plus brand new speakers installed in front and back. EGR valve has been replaced, 02 sensors replaced, new brakes, new water pump. The rotars will eventually have to be replaced to pass inspection but other than that no major problems!"

Good vehicle

By on Saturday, January 28, 2012

Pros: "Reliable, great visibility, easy to drive"

Cons: "Dents very easily, small problems too often"

"Basic, reliable, no-frills car that I have had since 1999. I am in the market for a new one."

10 Years of Ownership

By on Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, highly reliable"

Cons: "no cd player. back seats won't fold flat / remove"

"I got a pretty good deal on my Rav 4 in 2002, and have been driving ever since. Consistently gets 25 - 27 mpg. Uses about 1/2 a quart of oil between oil changes. Finally had the clutch replaced at 212K miles. The engine is a bit on the noisy side, and the interior can be a bit cramped with 4 adults in it. Other than that, it's been an outstanding vehicle."

I love my car!!!

By on Saturday, November 5, 2011

Pros: "great size and functionality"

Cons: "can't think of any"

"Excellent car. Feels like a large SUV, but is compact, fits everywhere! So easy to park and drive. Almost no blind spots. 4 wheel drive, can go anywhere! I borrowed my friend's rav4 for a couple weeks, fell in love with it, had to buy my own. Best car I've ever driven! Fits sporty, outdoorsy lifestyle and is also great for urban setting. Averages 23-25mpg. Love this car!"

By on Thursday, September 30, 2010

Great Long Term Ownership!

By on Friday, August 6, 2010

"I bought my 1996 Rav 4 as a new vehicle in 1996. It is still going strong as I just turned 228,000 miles on the odometer. Regular general maintenance has been the key as I have enjoyed 14 years of highway travel with my RAV 4. I plan to keep it running as long as I can! Great product!"

160,000 and still purring...

By on Thursday, February 12, 2009

"I purchased my '98 RAV4 in 2000 with 40,000 miles on it. I currently have over 160,000 and have only had preventive maintenance performed on it. It is the best used vehicle I have ever owned. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone looking for a small SUV. We get about 24 mpg highway, even with the miles it has. I feel this will easily hit 300,000 miles during it's lifetime."

Love my Rav4

By on Thursday, November 20, 2008

"I bought this 2 owner 1996 Rav4 with 138,000 miles and I love it. The best car I have ever owned! Runs like a dream and I plan to keep up on the maintenance like the other two owners. Highly recommend this vehicle. It is 12 years old and people think I bought a new car. To me, it kind of is!"

Excellent car

By on Monday, November 17, 2008

"I bought my RAV4 used five years ago when it had 82,000 miles and it was still going strong when I sold it at 165,000 miles. The only problem I ever had with it was that it occasionally stalled after starting, and it needed to be warmed up like an older car. Other than that, it was general maintenance. It could get a bit noisy at high speeds, and it certainly wasn't the world's peppiest car. However, this little car could get the job done. I have taken it on many mountain trips. I loved the room and the ability to flip the back seats forward."

It's OK, But

By on Sunday, October 19, 2008

"I bought the 2WD version (because I could afford it) and it is not great in the snow. Road noise is a HUGE issue if you require snow tires six months out of the year.... don't buy if you are prone to headaches or want to listen to the radio. In some ways I love the car (SUV feel with close to sedan gas mileage) but I dislike it enough not to buy another."

By on Tuesday, August 12, 2008

"205000 on it new battery tires change the belt and oil everything still works still driving 100 miles a day-great car"

GREAT DEAL

By on Monday, March 31, 2008

"We bought this vehicle with 70,000 miles for $7,500 several years ago. We now have 179,000 miles on it. It's a bit tired but still a very reliable freeway flier. Oil changes and 15k or 30k services of course. We could probably sell it now for around $5k. WOW!!!"

Excellent Value, Fun car to drive!

By on Wednesday, February 20, 2008

"The '96 Rav has the least power of all years but, more than enough for the city. Hiway performance is not as good as city. Overall, enough for what is needed and gas mileage is nice. Rock solid over any bumps in the road. Nice firm feel on all surfaces. Very fun to drive and I love my '96. No repairs except standard maintenance so far. Engine, tranny and running gear feel new still. Paint looks new and is the toughest and best looking of all standard manufacturer's base paint. No rust at all (12 Yrs old). Love the "Full-time all wheel drive" and the ability to "lock" all four wheels drive with a switch on dashboard for Snow/Black ice driving, which is not on other SUV's I know of. I LOVE IT, all who has drove my RAV4 have loved it. Looks good but not great styling (I don't like the headlights as well as others... Just my opinion). Tires are 16" size so it has a nice look being higher than other small suv's with small tires. Looks small for cargo but So far, I've hauled everything I've needed too (sometimes I have a rope that has to be tied to the back door for hauling 8' lumber) but it is a small SUV body style. I am very, very happy with my RAV4 and will purchase a "Hybrid" when they come out. 40 mpg in city 30 mpg on Hwy (estimate?) with Hybrid 20 mpg city 24 hwy with regular engine. Get the Hybrid and it will pay for itself in a couple of years with gas at $3 per gallon!!!"

Still Going!

By on Saturday, January 19, 2008

"Purchased new in 1998. Now have 250,000 miles on it and just put new timing belt and water pump on it. I plan to get to 400,000 miles. I have a 90 mile round trip to work every day. Has not broken down once."

Great

By on Monday, January 14, 2008

"Its a great vehicle... little loud but I really like owning one."