1998 Toyota RAV4

Based on 300 Ratings for the 1996 - 2000 models.

The best car I have ever owned

By on Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Pros: "Great value, very reliable, fun to drive"

Cons: "Needs extra cup holder, better cassette player"

"I own the 1996 version of this car. I it, by far, the most reliable car I have ever driven. I commute to school and work, about 60-80 miles each day. It's never broken down on me and is getting near the 200k mile mark. I've only owned it for 60k miles, but I've fallen in love over that period of time. Aside from routine maintenance like oil changes, tune-ups, and replacing the timing belt/ water pump, she's had zero mechanical issues and cosmetically, she is in pristine condition. My only complaints are the my stock cassette player (which is really fussy, but I refuse to waste money on a CD player) and sometimes it does not accelerate as fast as I'd like (but then again, I drive like an old lady and never 'floor it'). It's cozy but roomy, good for going on road trips and camping, it fits my GIANT dog very comfortably, there are very little blind spots, and I feel very safe in it (even in the winter). My last car was a Camry which was also great and convinced me to search for another Toyota (I slipped on black ice a few winters ago and that Camry saved my life). I would highly recommend this car to anyone."

Has been maintained by a Toyota specialist.

By on Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Pros: "Les Schwabb tires and NEW Brakes by L.S."

Cons: "Driver side only sun visor. Worked for us."

"Driven about 7,500 miles per year since we purchased the vehicle in 2007 from the original buyer. The Rav 4 is a reliable all wheel drive car that has NEW FRONT Brakes, a moon roof, electric windows and mirrors and has a tow package which was rarely used but, is handy if it is needed. It has a versatile roof rack, and spare tire holder mounted on the rear day, providing more storage in the back cargo area. Seats 4 comfortably and seat belts 5 passengers if the one in the middle is smaller. (smile) Our son took a teaching job in another country and won't be home for a few years, so we are selling it with the hopes that it will meet the needs of another driver who will appreciate the TLC it has been given over the years. The cloth seats, floor mats front, back, and rear compartment are in great shape and the radio, heater, AC all work great."

Love my RAV!!!

By on Monday, November 18, 2013

Pros: "Not too big, not to small, just a great drive."

Cons: "needs another 12v outlet."

"I bought my RAV 8 years ago with 99,000 miles on it. Since then I've driven it an additional 157,000+. It still looks and runs like the day I bought it. It has never let me down. If you're thinking about getting a RAV, make sure that you get the color and options you want. You're going to have it a REALLY LONG TIME. It's not a car, it's not a truck, it's a RAV!!!"

Never let me down!

By on Saturday, August 17, 2013

Pros: "MPG, reliability"

Cons: "low horsepower, noisy engine"

"I love my '98 Rav4!! My little red rav has high miles but has never let me down even once. Aside from usual maintenance costs and one pricey repair (leaking front struts) this car has been extremely easy on my wallet. For a small SUV, the gas mileage is unbeatable! Like another user pointed out, I fill up for less than $40 which easily lasts me 2 weeks driving around in town. I have driven this car all over New Mexico, Colorado, Arizona, and Nevada with zero problems. The 4WD has (literally) been a life saver in the mountains & during the winters. It may not be the fastest or sexiest car around, but I can ALWAYS count on this little guy to get me from point A to point B!"

Excelllent Gas Mileage

By on Sunday, May 26, 2013

"I currently fill up with $40. and it last me 2 weeks or more. But I work less than 3 miles from home. I bought this car from a private owner last year. There is an anoying rattle that I can not find out where it comes from. Usually when I press on the brakes. I currently had the timing belt and valve cover changed. $$$. I bought with the inspection expired, but I thought it was nothing. Thank God for Air Check Texas. To pass emission the bill was $400. plus. Timing belt was close to $500. So I already have $1000 in it that I could not really afford. Comfort is not a strong point. I feel every bump and pot hole, and that is going 30 mph or less. Very bouncy vehicle. But, all around a decent vehicle once I get the oil pump leak fixed, and fix the rattling prob."