2010 Toyota Prius

Based on 402 Ratings for the 2010 - 2015 models.

By on Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Pros: "Everything"

Cons: "Not a cadillac"

"Very comfortable on long trips(1000 miles plus). Fantastic gas mileage got up to 59.8 miles per gallon doing 65mph on the highway on a 138 mile trip. The least mileage I ever got was 47.3 going very fast."

Great car. More fun than I expected.

By on Thursday, September 15, 2011

Pros: "Excellent fuel mileage. Very reasonable to drive."

Cons: "Front seats are not real comfortable on longer drives."

"I bought a Prius for the fuel economy - but now I'm fighting with my wife on who gets to drive it because it's a fun little car. Much more satisfied than I expected moving from a larger car (Maxima). Only complaint I have are the front seats are not terribly comfortable on a trip lasting more than two hours (no lumbar support!)."

Prius Stands alone

By on Sunday, September 20, 2009

"Have owned 2004,5,6,8,9. Does that tell you anything? 53 MPG. If gas was 20 cents a gallon, would still buy Prius. Has no flaws, save front end turning visibility. Car feels heavier than gen 2. Feels very expensive.Price is right. When you buy a Prius your days of looking at other cars is finished. GET ONE, You wont be sorry!"

Outstanding vehicle! Unbelievable mileage!

By on Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Pros: "Fuel Economy, Performance, and Comfort"

Cons: "Sits Low so must be careful when parking"

"Have owned this vehicle for 13 months. Average mileage in town 53 mpg. OTR mileage 62 mpg. Drove over 1000 miles in May on $50.00 in gas. Average fuel price 3.50. Quality, performance and fuel economy are unmatched. Everone that I give a ride in it say that it looks like and performs like a rocket. The shift between electric and gas motor is automatic and seamless. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone! My husband is a pilot and the closest thing in performance that he can compare it to is a T-39 (affectionately known as the white rocket). THIS CAR IS A WINNER AND YOU CANNOT GO WRONG WITH YOUR PURCHASE. Our car was financed by USAA and we got the best price in a 3 state area."

The best commuter car in Texas

By on Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Pros: "Comfort, ride, mileage, functionality"

Cons: "cup holders in are too far back for short people."

"I drive about 8 miles one way to work daily. I regularly get 57mpg with an average of 28mph. The trick is to go easy on the throttle based on the eco meter in the dash. This is surprisingly easy due to it's position and the throttle changes when in eco mode. After 3 months of driving this way extremely rarely do I have someone pass me that ends up actually making a light ahead of me. :) The ride is nice even on the really rough streets of Dallas. Going through corners feels better than any of the other cars I tried. Has a bit of understeer to it on a high speed turn but hey, this is no racer. The best part is no longer having to wait in line for 30 minutes to fill up the tank on my old car (a 1998 park avenue ultra) with $65 in gas every single week. I go a full month now with just the 11 gallons at $30. I haven't noticed any difference in comfort going from the Park Ave to the Prius 4 in seat comfort, controls placement, or climate control strength. The 2011 Prius 4 with leather is definitely comparable in actual daily use comfort minus the breakable fancy gimmicks the luxury sedans tend to have. Simpler truly is better in the case of the Prius."

My favorite car in 40+ years of driving.

By on Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Pros: "In the review - mileage, affordability, comfort."

Cons: "Not much."

"The car is comfortable and quiet, and of course gets great gas mileage. I took a 7500 mile road trip last summer and never tired of driving it. It seats 5 comfortably. When I first got it, I had some troubling handling it in one area of long hills, but only because I was leaving it in Eco mode. That terrain required the power mode. Eco is best reserved for stop-and-go traffic. Funny what you learn when you read the manual! There's not much mileage difference between normal, power, and Eco modes. For conveniences, the keyless entry is nice, and when it senses you the cabin smoothly brings the lighting up to a welcoming glow. The console has minijack and charging ports. We use the first for iPod and smartphones. We usually keep a dual USB 2 in the second. We have a mid-level accessory package. The dash displays give us a lot of information without being cluttered or requiring much attention away from the road, including great mileage-as-we-go information, tire inflation warning, and a transient display that appears when using radio and cabin temperature controls on the steering wheel. The a/c and heating are controlled by simply setting the temperature, though you can override. It can't hold quite the amount as our PT Cruiser. Though the Prius is a midsize, the Cruiser has longer interior space. The Prius is not intended for lots of cargo - it's not an SUV - and we were able to have plenty for our long road trip with 3 people in the car. There's a hidden compartment in back that is very useful for shorter items. It matches the rear area in length and width. Increasing cargo would mean less battery, less passenger room, and/or a longer car. I wouldn't want those compromises. Safety features are considerable, including skid control, side airbags, and a sensor that only turns on the passenger airbag when an adult is in the seat; no need to turn off the airbag if a child is sitting there. In hindsight (get it?) I would have liked the rear camera; but I bought the car used. When I lived in a foggier area, fog lights would have been nice. They're available, and I would have added them if we hadn't been moving. When looking for a car, my criterion was affordability, with a weighted preference for mileage. I used an an algorithm on a spreadsheet (shut up! Geek can be a good thing). Considering cost (I was looking at 2-year-old used cars), resale, insurance, reliability, mileage, battery life and cost, etc., this won hands down. About the battery: So far 1 in 40,000 second generation Prii (really, that's the plural) have needed a replacement battery, at a dealer cost of $2588. Prii have gone 300,000 to 400,000 miles on the first battery. My battery came with a 150,000 mile warranty. About the brake life: Braking takes energy from the momentum of a car, producing heat and wearing out the bake components. In a Prius most of that energy charges the battery instead. This extends brake life by tens of thousands of miles. Lots of tens. I said it's my favorite car. Second favorite was a '65 Mustang ragtop - very different cars. If I had the means to buy any new car for daily use and extended travel, it would still be a Prius."

Nice Car

By on Thursday, January 23, 2014

Pros: "Excellent mileage, good on snow and ice"

Cons: "Tailgaters and haters"

"Nice car, drives great year around and reliable. Gets better mileage than claimed. I've gotten as high as 65 mpg in the city and 55 on the highway (in the summer). Fuel formulations are different in the winter and it gets about 10% less mileage then. The only problem I have is that I hate being tailgated and the Prius attracts that kind of thing, even if you are speeding. The car has plenty of power and will go over 100 with ease."

I love this car better every time I get in it.

By on Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Pros: "Good price, great mileage, really fun to drive."

Cons: "Slow on the take off."

"I have had 4 Lexus cars over the last 17 years and still have the GX470 and the SC430. But every time I go to get into a car, it's the 2012 Prius V 5. I have just over 4300 miles on it and am averaging about 40 MPG. The car is not as comfortable as my Lexus cars but it zips around corners and is pretty darn smooth on the highway, just a tad slow on the take off. It is well equipped, the GPS is great and the stereo is good. If you want a great hybrid vehicle, check out the Prius V, I like it much better than the regular Prius that I test drove, feels heavier, more substantial."

Best Prius since 2000 model

By on Saturday, May 5, 2012

Reason: traded for 2012 PriusV

Pros: "Stellar mpg and capacities with good drivability"

Cons: "low front bumper/short headlight range/rear window"

"My 2011 Prius II also like Austin Girl's Prius III did not unlock the hatch/rear doors. The service department simply held both the open/lock buttons down for about 4-5 seconds from outside of the car after it was locked and released them when a small dash light flashed on and off. After that all the locked doors would open just by touching the driver's door.This was really a problem for my wife and I because all 10 of our earlier Prius opened all the doors. Only a few things were possible to be improved. The front air dam/bumper is too low and scraps most curbs. The headlights point down and right so the distance of night road vision is short. The rear hatch door window slightly impedes vision and unavoidably collects snow. I am a smooth conservative driver with 50 years of polished practicing for maximizing efficency and reducing wear and tear on my cars. I honestly achieved an overall 52 mpg for my 9000 miles behind the wheel with 50/50 city to highway miles. My wife is a good average driver and for a similar 2011 Prius she drives the overall mpg at 8400 miles was 49 mpg under similar city/highway miles. This car is a no brainer if you compare all of it's pluses and minuses. My 2012 PriusV has a little less mpg(46mpg at 1100 miles) but a lot more real car type of driving feel to it which I value more than the small extra fuel savings."

awesome gas mileage very dependable

By on Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Pros: "excellent value and incredible gas mileage"

Cons: "sore butt on long trips."

"This car is absolutely fantastic. we drive it everywhere. we have gotten 70 MPG on some trips! we average 54 MPG overall. We have the JBL sound system which is very powerful and crisp and clear. the only drawback to this car is on a long trip my butt gets a little sore."

Love It!

By on Friday, December 31, 2010

"I am not in the tree hugger grouping . Now with that said, I fell in love with this deceivingly little big car. Sooooo easy to get into. I have had mine eighteen months and will be trading when the 2012's come out. Have not had any problems of any kind. I live in a midwest northern state and the handling with snow has been a dream. When I ordered the car, I could hardly wait for it's arrival. Now I find myself waiting to drive it everyday even thou I have two other vehicles. What a winner!"

By on Sunday, November 7, 2010

"With 22000 miles on our 2010 Prius I feel qualified to make these observations , The car is of the highest quality auto that I have ever owned !! However there are several shortcmings : Lots of wind noise : Lots of road noise : and the car beats you down on long highway trips : The mileage is out standing but I would suggest that its best used as a commuter rather than a long distance mode og transportation !! The windshield rear view mirror needs to be raised because it does impede right side viewing in[parking lots ]"

My first Toyota

By on Friday, May 3, 2013

Pros: "Mileage, App connectivity, Customizability"

Cons: "Seems to get on peoples nerves! Jealosy?!"

"This is my first Toyota ever. a 2013 Persona Prius I am a previous owner of a Jeep 2010. Served me well for 3 years but, you know, 19 MPG isn't exactly good. I bought this car for 1. Mileage, I drive 140 miles twice weekly commute. and believe or not 2. Design, this might sound weird but I used my friends 2012 Prius and liked the inside and outside. I have owned this car for over 1 month and a half and put 5000 miles on it, I feel like I'm ready to give my opinion. 1. Value: one of the highest values in the market, for a car that cost less than 30000, gets 50 miles per gallon (yes it does), has one of the best resale values in the industry, has the renowned Toyota reliability (Google "a Prius hits one million miles") this is outstanding. 2.Driving Dynamics: Call me a geek, but I am enjoying the Hybrid Dynamics in general, and the idea of harnessing energy while breaking (regenerative breaking) in particular. I have no idea why there are still cars being manufactured that do not regenerate all that energy when breaking. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed driving my Jeep as much as the next owner but, I AM enjoying driving my Prius as much. 3. Design, interior and exterior: I like the design inside and out. I actually like it a lot. Granted, I have the 17 inch alloy wheels, Lower door moldings, Illuminated door sims, Leather seats which do make a difference in how the car looks and gives a good feel and impression to the driver. 4. Quality/Reliability: Toyota is renowned for making quality cars. Their reliability is the best in the market. The quality is amazing too. You get standard top safety features, bluetooth connectivity, remote keyless entry, multi information display, top fuel economy. In addition, the Persona I own has more Standard features such as Navigation, Leather, rear backing camera, 17 inch Alloy wheels. 5. Comfort and convenience: This car is very comfortable, I am a fan of the layout of the dashboard and center console. Leather seating also make for more comfort/quality feel. It is one of the most convenient cars too, with the multi information display that gives you A-Z information. I also am enjoying the app connectivity. This is a Smart Car. You get apps and all. It's also future proof. You can Update the apps as they evolve. It also has great back seat and trunk space. Summary, this car is great on so many levels no wonder it's getting this Persona of it's own. Whenever you think Hybrid you think Prius, even though a dozen or more manufacturers are making Hybrids of all kink. But for Toyota to have this car on the road since the 1990's and to hit 5 million in sales recently this is a huge accomplishment and a testimony to this car greatness. Happy new Toyota Owner"

Everyone should have one of these in their garage

By on Friday, January 11, 2013

Pros: "great price, great gas, fun to drive."

Cons: "synthetic oil change"

"I absoluetly love this car. I actually sold an H3 hummer before I got this, I have had a charger, mustang, Volkswagon, BMW and this is my very favorite car. People say 48-51 miles per gallon but I can assure you I exceed that all the time. Gas in amazing and so is the reliability. The only bad thing I can come up with is the car uses synthetic oil at 90.00 a pop a little expensive. But I will take that, as the davings in gas alone far exceed that. A truly amazing car, and I can safely say I do my part for the enviroment. I have read reviews where people say it is weird to drive. Not sure what they are thinking, maybe they are using the savings in gas for weed."

New Prius Owner 2011

By on Sunday, May 22, 2011

"Just purchased my 2011 Toyota Prius. I bought the car for its' superior gas mileage. I've driven about 1300 miles so far. My best MPG was 57.4. Overall, I have attained 51.9 MPG. Driving on country roads around 50 mph got me my best MPG. Driving on the highway on cruise control around 70 MPH bought my MPG down. I enjoy the music system and the bluetooth connectivity. Overall, I am very satisfied with my purchase."

Wow Wow Wow!

By on Wednesday, July 28, 2010

"I just picked up a brand new Prius III on Monday, and I just can't get enough of this car!!! In the past 2 days, I have gotten the average miles per gallon to over 45 MPG, and it's still going up!!! Portland has many different elevation levels, and so going up and down the hills had me a bit hesitant to go hybrid, but this car has NO shortage of power from what I can see either on the freeway/hills/on-ramps from what I can see at this point. I am getting a clear bra installed today at the factory which I think will be a worthy investment to protect the great looking front end. The car has a smooth ride, the handling feels good, and the steering is very easy to drive without it feeling like you're driving a big ol' boat. I had read people commenting about the rearward visibility being an issue, personally, I think the rear visibility is fantastic, and I'm actually glad I didn't go for the navigation/rear-view camera. The bluetooth system works VERY well, and has a caller ID feature that scrolls across the radio screen, I also like the fact that I can control the stereo (the JBL is great by the way), answer/disconnect my iPhone, adjust the display screen AND change the temperature all without taking my hands off the wheel!!! Also I do like the fact the outlet to charge my phone is beneath the shift console as it does discourage me from doing any texting while driving, there is another outlet along with the iPod connector hidding away in the center console so it's out of sight. Mine also came with the clear rear bumper applique to protect the back end while loading/unloading the car which I would highly recommend as well. I may still be in the honeymoon stage, but at this point, I don't see any reason why one shouldn't consider a Prius as their next car, but if that changes, I will put it on here."

Great, not perfect

By on Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Pros: "mileage, interior room, ride"

Cons: "winter driving subpar, dangerous blind spots"

"Roomy, comfortable, a very easy car to live with that is cheap to run and dead on reliable. Two big drawbacks. The blind spots are quite bad, parking becomes a faith based experience and it can be dangerous while driving. Not a great winter car in the north. The decrease in mileage isn't that bad. With 4 studded snows, it will travel plowed and icy roads. But don't try to drive through more than 4 inches of snow. It gets hung up easily and getting yourself unstuck is incredibly difficult as the engine seems unsure about what mode to be in and you can't get the wheels moving fast enough to churn your way free."

My wallet loves this car!

By on Friday, March 15, 2013

Pros: "Awesome gas mileage!"

Cons: "It is difficult to go uphill"

"The gas mileage is ridiculously awesome! I love this car! I use this car for driving to school and work in local area. It only costs me no more than $10 per week for gas!"

Better than Expected Fuel Economy

By on Tuesday, February 8, 2011

"Nice driving, great fuel economy (better than rated) hybrid that handles great with every day driving. The only negative is the 2010 seems to have some squeaks and rattles, but other than that I would recommend it to everyone!"

Gives a whole different meaning to NEW car..

By on Friday, August 30, 2013

"I've only had my Prius Three for about a month but can report some first findings and experiences. The Prius takes some getting used to as it's obviously not a typical car. In mixed driving thus far, I've averaged right at 50mpg which astounds me, still. PROS: The MPG, obviously. The handling is far better than many suggest otherwise. I've not tried to make it into a sports car but I haven't babied it either. It holds up. The seamless EV/gas toggle with no hesitation also amazes me, even when starting from the downside of a hill, the Prius kicks in and propels you forward without hesitation. CONS: Opening and shutting the doors sounds of cheap construction but they're okay, just not as solid as I would like. I had leather installed from the aftermarket on the upholstery because that faux synthetic stuff in the upgraded Prius Four felt phony. No power seat though and do wish for it as finding the right driving position with the 6 way manual adjustments hasn't yet found me comfortable. The Entune system is still a mystery to me although I don't think I'd use it anyway but you would think the interfacing between smartphone and the car unit would be more user friendly. At first, the view out the back window was daunting to overcome but using side mirrors and getting accustomed to the look back there has vastly improved my driving of the car. SUMMING UP: The Prius is a marvel of a car. I love it in spite of the various issues cited earlier."

Best car I have ever owned by far

By on Sunday, June 10, 2012

Pros: "dependability, convenience, MPG"

Cons: "road noise"

"At 70 years old I have owned a lot of cars and this one is the best by far. With 150000 miles on it it still has its original brakes, amazing. the only repair l have had is the headlights,they went out after only 35000 miles and the cost to replace them was almost 300.00 apiece. Toyota later returned over half of that but it is still a chunk. Great car and the power is awsome for a gas mizer. its not a race car but it has plenty and wont slow down on the hills. road noise is higher than I would like but I'll take it for the rest of the good things. particularly like the keyless entry thats great no more locking yourself out."

Great Techy Car!

By on Wednesday, December 2, 2009

"I've driven this car (Prius III) for 3 months now and it's absolutely wonderful. It does take a little getting used to as there are many functions and can confuse you in the beginning. But no worry, after a month of driving, you'll be very comfortable. I'm getting around 48MPG and that's with mostly high speed hwy (~70MPH) driving during the winter. The fin in the back (the "Prius blind spot") is a little bothersome in the beginning, but you'll come to learn how to see everything anyway. Driving-wise, it is very smooth and quiet (so quiet sometimes pedestrians won't know you're there and you have to wait for them to cross). I had the JBL speaker upgrade and they sound wonderful. The Prius III also comes with Bluetooth integration and it works perfectly! Many people were surprised I chose to get the Prius, saying it's very ugly. But the 2010 version looks much sportier and once my friends got a close-up look at it (inside and out) they loved it as well. I'd highly recommend you test drive it first before crossing it off your list."

Great gas mileage with many features

By on Saturday, March 2, 2013

Pros: "Great gas mileage, lots of features"

Cons: "Entune could be better"

"I have owned a Prius 3 for 8 months and have driven almost 14,000 miles in that time, driving 6,600 in the first 8 weeks. Most of the time I averaged a little over 50 mpg with the following exceptions: on a 3,500 mile round trip from NY to FL I got 45 mpg (a lot of 80-90 mph highway speeds) and have gotten around 45 mpg most of the winter in upstate NY. One of the reasons I bought the Prius when I did was in anticipation of a trip to Florida, so I could take advantage of the fuel savings cost. I must admit that I am still fascinated by the dashboard and enjoy trying to maximize my mileage by paying attention to the gas mileage indicator. The gas mileage is certainly the biggest reason to buy this car. I just figured out this week how to program the starter so that I could unlock the front passenger side door by touching the handle. Besides the gas mileage, my 2nd favorite feature of this car is the keyless start. I love just having to hit the start button instead of using the key. I just wish I could buy a couple extra keys without paying about $300 apiece for them. I do like the solar sunroof, but think I need to check the owner's manual to maximize its efficiency. I will most likely add a remote car starter and possibly electric seats for the cold NY winters I live in. This car is not particularly good in the snow, so I may have to invest in some winter tires for next year. In the meantime, I just drive my SUV when the roads are bad. I do like the backup camera. I was psyched for Entune, but there are a lot of things I don't like about it. I wish that I could use the keypad to type when not in park, but it is disabled as a safety feature. Honestly, sometimes the passenger would find it handy to use while someone else is driving. It can't always find places I am looking for and the map won't automatically change from daytime to nighttime mode. I do like that it tells me when I have a text message and will read them to me. I find the regular beam headlights don't illuminate the road as I would like. I asked the service department to check it out, but they said they were set correctly. I wish I had fog lights to help show the road more. I like the different shifter. I find it hard to get it into Neutral and Brake Assist though."

Awesome but a few things bug me

By on Friday, February 3, 2012

Pros: "mpg, torque, handling, comfort, ease of use, quiet"

Cons: "dash rattle, brake squeak, GPS upgrade cost"

"I love the torque, the mpg I get on average about 54 and drive 80 miles per day sometimes more each week, drive the speed-limit usually and only gas up my 11 gallon tank once a week for $21-$23 when gas is reasonable in MASS. I can pay up to $30 if its $3.30 a gallon or so. I love the handling and comfort (leather), love the ease of the hatch and 4 doors (had 2dr), the engine is so generally quiet and I get way more mpg if I am careful with acceleration and speed. I also love not carrying keys around that scratch and poke etc. Having the XML satellite traffic can be very useful to route you around the traffic BEFORE you're in it, no transmission, smooth ride, hands free driving is awesome, safe vehicle. Things that drive me crazy. I have this rattle on the dash board during acceleration that started the 1st year of purchase (last year) and the dealership has put felt behind the glove compartment to help but there's also a noise in the middle of the dash, cost is $300 to take dash off to look at issue. The inside is made of plastic and the center console is a waste of space and looks cheap, hit the gas an wait 10 seconds for it to go fast - slow acceleration. I lost a hub cap (random never happened on my last 4 cars) and it will cost $100 to replace, looking for a used one or taking them all off. $200 to upgrade the GPS. Closing hatch sounds cheap. Brakes squeak after lots of rain eventually goes away."

Great car!

By on Sunday, November 3, 2013

Pros: "Gas economy, compact size, back seats go flat"

Cons: "Wide console makes difficult to reach anything"

"This car is most economical, great comfort & compact size, good for long range driving. Back seats go flat for cargo. My only complaint is the wide console that separates the 2 front seats. It is cumbersome in the sense that it makes difficult to reach anything in the tray below, i.e. phone charger, spare change, etc. Black color is hard to keep clean."