• 10 Best Hybrid Cars Under $30,000

2010 Toyota Prius

Based on 356 Ratings for the 2010 - 2015 models.

Hate this car!

By on Thursday, February 26, 2015

Pros: "I like the color and mileage"

Cons: "way too many to list. See the review for details"

"Worst purchase I've ever made in my life. I paid a lot of money for this new car. It is a cheaply constructed car. Seems that Toyota cuts corners in construction to make the car lighter so it gets better mileage. There are so many rattles, buzzes, and shaking noises, all the time, literally. I've stopped taking it to the dealer to try and fix, after taking it in FIVE times to fix one glove compartment area rattle. This car has tremendous road noise. Definitely noisier than the 1997 Honda Accord, which I thought was pretty noisy. I can't stand the hatchback. You have to manually open and close it; no release button. So unless your car is clean all the time, your hands (or gloves) get dirty. I always stored a lot of stuff in the trunk of my previous cars. To hide anything in the Prius hatch area, you have to pull the cover and hook it. The vertical height with the cover on is pretty short. You can’t put a daypack in vertically; has to be laid down. Shopping bags barely fit. The bottom portion of the hatch window gets so dirty so fast. You have to manually wipe it to clean it; gas station wipers don't work. And "drive-through" car washes don't dry it. The windshield wiper on the upper portion of the hatch window only lifts up an inch or so. That makes it rather difficult to clean the outer portion of the window. The bar in middle of the hatch window obstructs the view. I actually feel unsafe driving sometimes, if the window is a bit dirty—and it doesn’t take much for it to get dirty enough to affect seeing out of it. You cannot adjust the rearview mirror for night driving. Supposedly it “auto” adjusts. Well, if your eyes are light sensitive as mine are, forget it. So I have bright headlights in my rearview mirror all the time. Want to listen to your fancy schmancy radio? Just try it! The dealer told me it’s a well-known issue for the Prius that the radio reception fades in and out a lot, and there is no fix for it. I live in a large metro area and it happens all the time. My Honda never had a problem with radio reception. I bought the very expensive extra package so I could have a sunroof. Mistake! The sunroof, when open at any distance, is so noisy! I’ve had sun roofs in all my cars and this is the noisiest. I rarely use it. I have never used the extra HD stuff that comes with the package. So, a total throwaway. Front window all fogged up? Well, wait 5 minutes for it to clear up enough to drive safely, with the defrost blasting at full speed. Literally, I have sat multiple times in a bus park and ride lot, at 11pm for 5 minutes before I could see enough to drive. The windows fog up way more easily than any other car I’ve driven. No idea why. Very frustrating. I typically drive with the rear defrost on, because otherwise the rear window tends to fog up. I’m the only person in the car. Shouldn’t fog up like that, especially when it’s not raining or humid. And why does Toyota think that I want the front defrost to always go on full blast??? If I don’t want that, I have to be ready to push the down arrow on the air volume to stop it at the level I want. I generally don’t need the defrost at full blast (except as noted above). The front end is so low to the ground, it doesn’t clear a lot of parking lot space curb dividers. I’ve given up trying to not scratch it."

Best car for 2015

By on Thursday, February 26, 2015

Pros: "Great price, save gas"

"I have own so many cars, Honda, Ford, Acura, Mazda, Scion, Toyota highlander , Camry, and this is the best car I have ever had, love it, should have bought them years ago, could have save over $$$$$ just in gas. Great single or family car. not for racing."

My Prius simply makes me feel good.

By on Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Pros: "Fun to drive and makes me feel good."

Cons: "Still thinking....."

TA-DA

"After 3 years of lease time I was looking forward to the purchase today. I loved a Corolla many years ago and a couple Camry's since then, but it's such a good feeling to cruise down the road, relatively smooth and quiet, and knowing that this car is being pushed along with only a gallon of gasoline per 50 miles or more. It's not a racecar and wouldn't do well at the track, but I'm not a topnotch driver and enjoy curves not necessarily on a country road. Nothing wrong with that, but the Prius is a good car, woth the investment...so far."

TA-DA

I have owned three, a 1999, 2004 & 2010

By on Sunday, February 22, 2015

Pros: "Very reliable and low maint."

Cons: "Hard for a larger person to ride in it comfortablE"

"I have owned three generation of prius and I have been very pleased with reliability and resale value, I'm getting ready to buy a 2015, maybe, this 2010 was fully load with solar and roof,but it has not retained the value of the additional cost, so maybe. The 1999 I had 142,000 on, 2004 I had 152,000 this one is a 2010 with 70,800 I will say that I don't believe the solar roof was worth all the extra exp, I do like the sunroof all though it is small."

not worth the additional cost

By on Friday, February 20, 2015

Pros: "Status for a tree hugger"

Cons: "Expense, no real over all environmental benefit"

"In the NE, especially winter on short trips, gas milage is not half of what is advertised. The main reason I bought it.I was told after sale, 10,000 logged on miles is required , before the actual MPG can be achieved . It is terrible in snow, and unlike most other cars slip reduction can not be over ridden, which hinders its ability to power out if stuck in snow . The EV mode is a gimic, and like the kings new clothes, only impresses those who are mesmerized by its reputation! The radar cruise controls only slows the car, and does not stop it, as alluded to in its advertised safety abilities! Lane keeper is a joke, without anf truly functional abilities, more annoying that a safety feature! Over all I would not recommed the car! But it is a status symbol impressing those of us that think such gimmicky machinery makes a difference!"