• 10 Best Hybrid Cars Under $30,000

2008 Toyota Prius

Based on 771 Ratings for the 2004 - 2009 models.

Great Car!

By on Thursday, July 26, 2007

"I researched for 1.5 years for a new or a reliable small car. The Prius was more costly than other cars, but its reliability, gas efficiency and roominess compensates for it. When I first looked at the Prius, I hated the styling, but now I just love it. The 2006 interiors are 6" longer than previous Prius years. The back seat accomodates people 6 feet and taller easily--something important for me with budding teenage boys in a family of tall people. You have to learn how to drive this car! It cannot be driven like gasoline only cars. Learn how to maximize the efficiency by monitoring the consumption screen when first driving. Also, do buy the extended warranty. The battery is guaranteed for 8 years, but the standard car warranty is important to cover the cost of those expensive non-Toyota made electronics and the transmission should it fail ($10K to repair). Yes, the reliability is there, and I've had great success, but there is always one bad apple. I miss the luxury of my Jeep Laredo, and it would be nice to have a more plush and better overall interior. It is adequate, but not as nice as it could be. Many friends who have Prius models state the same. I love not only the gas mileage, but the super-quick fill up at the pump. I can come, pay and leave while the SUV next to me is still filling. The trunk/hatch is very roomy for a small car. After looking at small car trunks and other hatches like the PT cruiser, it is a dream. The back seats and front passenger seat fold down to accomodate longer items. I can fit 3 suitcases, a tent, 3 sleeping bags and misc other items, and on shopping day, all those grocery bags fit beautifully in the hatchback. BTW, do get the rear hatch net and the rear bumper applique. I don't like the ventilation system, and rate it fair for clearing foggy windows on rainy days. AC/heat are great. The kiddos love the car with its roominess, arm rest and all those cup holders. Its narrow body is desirable for city lot parking, and it does not feel narrow inside. Another plus for me is the high-feeling seating. After downsizing from high-riding jeep, it is nice to sit higher than other small cars. Low carriage, especially in the front is an adjustment. There is a nasty blind spot on the front right when turning left into traffic. The rear backup camera is a necessity. All in all, I love this car. It is a hybrid, so if you are looking for a great family or commuter car it's perfect. If you are looking for a high performance car, look elsewhere for a sports car."

Affordable Mobility

By on Monday, February 11, 2008

"I purchsed this vehicle towards the end of 2006. I beleive this was the best car purchase I have ever made. It is by far the most fuel efficient car I have ever owned. I regularly get mileage between 48 and 53. In the winter my mileage can drop to about 44, but in the summer my mileage can be as high as 78! The interior material's quality is fair. The dual glove compartment is a nice feature. The rear seat has very little head room, and I don't recommend sitting there if you are 6'+. The trunk is quite generous, featuring a hidden lockable cargo compartment. The smart entry system with push button start is fantastic! The touch screen can become full of fingerprints, especially when you use the bluetooth and navigation functions frequently. The back-up camera provides a nice view behind the car, but needs to be frequently cleaned in winter. Getting on the freeway isn't a problem. Initial power is lagging, but becomes better once you reach 25 mph. After you reach 55 mph, you can only stare at the digital speedometer inch slower and slower. I'm not a power person, though. Every car I have ever owned has been an economy car. In city driving, I regularly start out on all electric power, followed by a mix when driving 25+ mph. I love the outside appearance. It may be "different" but it screams me! I often get stares from people driving faster than the speed limit in huge SUVs, giving me a look that says "What is that?" It's way better looking than the monster you're driving that wastes most of its fuel fighting the air. My last point is comfort. Another place I thought they could have done better. My normal daily commute is fine, but on long trips, can be incredibly uncomfortable. On a trip from my home to Cincinnati, I was fine for the first hour or so, but, after that, I had to pull over at arest stop due to extreme discomfort. The lack of padding is defineitely noticeable on long trips. Overall I am extremely pleased with this purchase, and feel that it would be the ultimate car if all the problems listed were addressed."

Excellent car.

By on Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Pros: "reliable, great mileage, fun to drive"

Cons: "traction starting out from a stop in winter"

"Overall, it's a wonderfully comfortable and economic car. A couple of things to keep in mind, however. Shortly after buying ours used, we had to replace the 12-volt battery, which was very expensive. It had a dead cell. So when taking a Prius for a test drive, try starting it by pressing the start button without putting your foot on the brake. If it has a battery with a dead cell, the battery will immediately drain and the car will shut down, and the dealership will have to jump it, and put in a new battery for you. The only other thing that we've experienced is the poor front-wheel traction when starting out on ice or significant snow. I'd recommend putting on snow tires in the winter, which has helped my wife a lot, and she no longer complains so it has helped me a lot as well. Last remark, the mileage depends greatly on the driver, driving habits, and on the outside temperature. In summer, I regularly get 50 mpg in town and 48 to 52 mpg on the highway; in Jan. and Feb. it goes down about 10 mpg."

Best Car You'll Ever Own

By on Saturday, July 14, 2012

Pros: "Low operating cost. Very high resale value."

Cons: "Rear visibility. Road noise at freeway speed."

"Thinking about a Prius? You will not be disappointed. Let's start with economy. You know about the fuel savings, truthfully you'll get an amazing 44 mpg combined city/highway driving (with up to about 50 mpg highway), don't let anyone tell you more, it's not going to happen. Next up, ownership cost is where you'll really save. I have 2005 with 35k miles and the ONLY thing I've done is change oil and put on new tires. These cars are so reliable and maintenance free you won't believe it. No tuneups for 100k miles for instance. Then there's the real "biggie", resale value. Check out how well these cars hold their value and you won't take long to figure out how that seriously boosts the overall low cost of ownership. Dollar for dollar, you can't find a less expensive car, the Prius just has everything beat. Period. That said, you might ask, "What's the catch?" Well, there just isnt' one. These cars are an absolute JOY to drive. They're quiet (around town), handle well, ergonomics are phenominal, storage space is comparable to a mid-size wagon, and the car comes with a great stereo and other amenities. After about a month, you will fall in love with the keyless feature. You NEVER take the key out of your pocket. Ever. The car senses your presence and all you do is open the door (no key required), push the start button and drive off. To lock, you just push the button on the door, that's it! I also own a 2005 Corvette C5 convertible and while each of these cars is way, way different, they are both just as much fun to drive in their own individual ways. I'm 64 years old, have owned about 40 cars in my lifetime, and the 2005 Prius is honestly the BEST (all around) CAR I've ever owned. Don't worry about anything if you're considering a Prius. You'll be delighted and be saving serious money every mile you drive in this fantastic car."

This is a great car.

By on Saturday, March 02, 2013

Pros: "Economy, comfort, reliability, cargo room"

Cons: "Visibility, armrests hard, seating position"

"I bought this car new skeptical about actual gas mileage, comfort, battery life, and performance. It has been top notch in all categories. It can easily pull into highways on entrance ramps, and has plenty of pull-away power for all occasions. It has plenty of room in the back seat - I have had five seniors in the car for a 200 mile trip with no complaints. My gas mileage, per the instrument panel, has been 48.7 mpg for the last 90,000 miles. Tire replacement at 50,000 miles was OK. Brakes are still going and have plenty of wear left. Our car is the base model, lowest cost, and is OK for us. Some friends paid almost $10,000 more for options. That is the consumer's choice. Be careful of reviews on this car. They invariably say the legroom in back is poor (it is not - try it), the battery is only good for 100,000 miles and is expensive to replace (ask your dealer how many batteries he has replaced), and lack of power (baloney). Three things I don't like are the right side visibility at intersections, the front armrests are hard and gave me a swollen elbow on a long trip, the grab bar above the front doors squeaked for the first 80,000 miles even after replacing one. One other thing is I wish the steering wheel had an in-out adjustment."

Good all around car

By on Sunday, September 22, 2013

Pros: "good mileage, driver convenience"

Cons: "acceleration, styling"

"I bought this car new in 2007 and it has proven to be fairly reliable. I added a stiffening plate under the car as well as a stiffening bar to the front suspension which made a noticeable improvement in the handling which was not bad to begin with. I opted for the cloth seats and all of the other options. The seats are fine but can get a bit uncomfortable on long trips. I added an after-market lumbar control to them. This was my primary vehicle after replacing my 1991 Ford Probe. The cargo space is good, especially with the rear seats folded down. The interior design is also quite good, with various well-placed storage spaces. I also thought the center touch screen was well designed to keep things simple for the driver to reduce distractions. In terms of mileage the car seemed to improve with age. I average around 44-45MPG with my daily commute which is about 60% freeway, 40% city driving. It sips gas. Acceleration in this car is OK, not great. Acceleration at low speeds is generally fine though at higher speeds it tends to be rather lacking. I have taken it on some strenuous drives such as over Sonora Pass in the Sierra Nevada mountains. This pass is 9600 feet with a 26% grade in places. The traction control is quite sensitive. I have had it kick in when accelerating over pot holes. The stability control seems to work well. The CVT transmission works fairly well though there is a very noticeable lag when attempting to accelerate. Once it does it is very smooth. When braking it is sometimes noticeable when it switches between regenerative braking and mechanical braking. Once in a while I get a somewhat jarring effect where it is as if the brakes are not as strong as expected. The anti-lock brakes work well. Handling was significantly improved when I replaced the stock Integra tires that came with the car. The navigation system is fairly good in my opinion. I have upgraded the map DVD several times which is rather expensive unfortunately. The sound system is also fairly decent. I was able to add an aftermarket module called the Mediabridge to support Bluetooth music from my phone as well as USB media. I rarely drive the car any more and will probably sell it soon since I recently upgraded to a Tesla model S. I can't really compare it to the Tesla since the Tesla is a whole different class though there are a few little things I miss such as the overhead sunglasses storage compartment."

love this car

By on Thursday, February 28, 2013

Pros: "great mileage. low maintenace"

Cons: "not the the most comfortable seats for long drives"

"Without bike racks it gets about 53-58 mpg. Ours has close to 200,000 miles on it with very little maintenance."

Crown jewel of hybrid vehicles

By on Monday, July 21, 2008

"I purchased my Prius from a Toyota dealership back when you had to be on a waiting list and couldn't get one for under MSRP - some dealers were charging above MSRP - because of the demand. First of all, the special features: I'm no audiophile, but I prefer listening to music on the premium JBL sound system (9 speakers in 7 locations, 6-disc in-dash changer, cassette deck) to my home stereo. The integrated GPS system is excellent, automatically rerouting me when I miss a turn and giving instructions clearly enough and soon enough that I can easily follow them. The GPS map DVD is a bit out of date and doesn't know about newer neighborhoods. Bluetooth integration is built in, enabling the car to act as a speakerphone for your bluetooth-enabled cell phone. The controls and setup for this, however, are not easy to manage. If my phone allowed, I could send phonebook entries directly to the Prius for use with the touchscreen, however I have yet to figure out how to add phonebook entries manually. All the car's features are controlled through an integrated touchscreen, voice commands, and buttons located on the steering wheel. There are several ways to get to the most often used functions, enabling drivers to keep their attention on the road instead of all the "bells and whistles". The car's voice is pleasant and rarely annoys me as other rental cars and GPS units have. The steering wheel controls are well laid out, and voice commands are fairly intuitive and easy to remember, although in the presence of background noise it's hard for the car to recognize the words. Features are built-in to ensure that the touchscreen is not used while the car is in motion, but the "protection" on these items is inconsistent, allowing some things to be done at freeway speeds while denying access to others that are less distracting. It would be nice to have the ability to turn this feature off, especially when a passenger can operate the touchscreen while the driver remains focused. The car keeps track of gas mileage for you automatically, as well as maintenance intervals for oil changes, air filters, etc. When it's time for an oil change, the car lets you know every time you start it. The gearshift lever in this car takes the form of a small "stick" on the dashboard that snaps back into place as soon as it's released. The car is placed in "PARK" by use of a button separate from the lever where drive, reverse, engine braking, and neutral modes are selected. This can be confusing to valets and anyone borrowing the car, but Toyota thoughtfully included a pad of "valet cards" that can be handed to those unfamiliar with how the Prius operates. The smart key system enables the driver to unlock, lock, and drive the car without ever removing the keys from a pocket. This option is one of my favorite things about the car and comes in handy when loading and unloading the vehicle as well as driving - just walk up to the trunk and open it, then sit down and press the power button to drive. Driver controls such as the pedals are not mechanically linked to the car, but send electrical signals to the engine's computer, known as "fly-by-wire" technology. Despite this, the pedals still seem to provide good physical feedback, and the car does what you expect it to do in all cases. The vehicle stability control and anti-skid features of the vehicle are extremely well designed. In the few instances where I've skidded, the car is correcting my path before I've even realized what's happening; responsive, predictable control is provided to the driver during a "panic situation". I have noticed that hitting a pothole, speedbump, or even a slick spot in the road causes the traction control to react way too strongly. This seems to happen often when it's raining and I'm cutting across a corner while pulling into traffic - not a good time to have the car slow down in the middle of starting out. I've learned to add a little extra room to account for the occasional "false start". Considering that I've taken this car down mountain passes in heavy snow with regular tires, and the control was superb, I'm willing to live with an oversensitive traction control system despite the frustrations it causes during normal driving. I am comfortable attempting terrain in my car which would scare me in any other. The interior of the car is roomy and comfortable even on long distance drives, although not as quiet as I would like. There is a distinct lack of headroom in the rear passenger compartment. Although the rear seats fold down and allow for a great deal of cargo space, the slope of the hatchback and rear window could be improved to maximize the use of this space - apparently the car was built for aerodynamic performance at the expense of cargo room. Storage inside the passenger compartment is good; two glove compartments, a large open center console, a small storage area in the dash, and a drawer at the bottom of the center console are all available, as well as 2 front and 2 rear cupholders. An extra compartment underneath the trunk floor but above the spare tire is provided as well, along with two smaller side compartments under the trunk floor. A roller-type shade is provided to cover the trunk area from view and sunlight. Both this and the optional cargo net store away in the lower trunk compartments. I am surprised that the car was not equipped with power seats, given all the other automated functions. I also found the factory tint on the windows to be very light, appearing almost as if no tint is applied at all; however I live in Florida and the usual tint job here is generally as dark as limousines use. The Toyota Hybrid System is the most prominent and hyped feature of the Prius line, and is worth the hype. When the car starts, there is no starter motor and its associated sound. Instead, the electric motor brings the crankshaft up to speed and fuel is delivered to the cylinders like push-starting a manual transmission car. The engine is off at low speeds and stops unless the battery is low, and comes on when needed. The high-torque electric motor and the high-speed gas engine can both drive the wheels at the same time working together, giving the car a "peppy" feel that one wouldn't expect from so small an engine. The gear system also works without any shifting, so acceleration is smooth and even. At some times the car can feel a bit sluggish upon acceleration. Merging into a busy, fast-moving freeway with this car is not, however, a harrowing experience. Gas mileage is not anywhere near the EPA estimates - 60 in city driving, 51 highway (that's not a typo - hybrids do better at the lower speeds of city driving). With my driving habits, I get about 43-46MPG in about half/half driving, and 40MPG on long roadtrips at freeway speeds. I have talked to other owners whose gas mileage is in the 50s, but with more conservative driving habits. If you want to improve your driving habits to get better mileage, the touchscreen can show a real-time display of miles per gallon, as well as a graph of five-minute averages over the last half hour of driving. This information can be used at a glance to adjust driving for better mileage. Braking provides very good stopping distance, and the "brakes" used most often are actually bleeding energy off the wheels in order to recharge the battery. During a "panic stop" or under 8MPH standard disc brakes are engaged and regenerative braking is not used. It's possible while gradually stopping to feel the point at which disc brakes are engaged, but this doesn't interfere with driving and occurs seamlessly and naturally as needed. I often am asked how I charge the hybrid battery, or what I have to do differently when driving. The battery is charged in the same way the battery in any other car is charged - you drive it, and excess electrical energy is used to charge the battery as the alternator in a normal car would do. Since the smaller 12v battery only has to power a relay to bring the larger battery online instead of cranking a starter motor, the 12v battery is small like a marine or motorcycle battery and suffers no ill effects from extremely cold conditions. Another question that I hear a lot relates to repair and maintenance. Many systems in this car work just like conventional vehicles and can be serviced by any repair shop - radiator, brakes, and oil delivery systems, for example. The "special" systems for a hybrid vehicle - transmission, battery, electric motors, etc. - are covered by a 7-year warranty which should eliminate any concerns over additional repair expenses for most people. So far I've been party to two recalls, both of which were taken care of at the dealership during normal maintenance and did not affect my experience of the car before repair. I did have a warped dash panel due to an improperly installed glove box lid, which was replaced under warranty at no cost. The only other repair work which was done on the car outside of the normal scheduled maintenance was a burnt-out brake light bulb. Overall, the Toyota Prius is a hybrid that doesn't involve any sacrifices. Once you get used to your engine "dying" at every stoplight, you can drive this car just like any other and forget that under the hood everything is not so normal. Whenever I go to the dealership for maintenance, I walk around the lot and encourage anyone looking at the Prius to buy it. I prefer driving it to any other car. When I rent a car on business trips I always ask the person at the counter if they have a Prius."

Best vehicle that I have ever owned

By on Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Pros: "Low maintenance and high mileage (gas and life)"

Cons: "No override to turn off the anti-slip technology."

"Have 234,600 miles and still going strong. Replaced rear brakes at 211,000 and just replaced front at 234,600 for the first time on both. Still getting 46-48 mpg. No battery issues. Just normal maintenance of oil changes, tires and plugs (once at 110,000 and once at 220,000)."

Prius is still trendy.

By on Saturday, February 16, 2008

"Yes, I do miss my Acura. I do love my Prius though. No major complaints. The navigation system in the Acuras is better. I don't like the fact that you can't access the navigation destination with buttons while driving. I love the blue tooth and all the room I have in my Prius compared to the Acura Tsx. The car is spacious, dependable and environmentally friendly. I fill up about every 10 days. If I drive 55 - 60 mph I can get almost 2 weeks between fill ups."