2003 Toyota Prius

Based on 137 Ratings for the 2001 - 2003 models.

Great value and economy, more fun than . . .

By on Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Reason: Too many cars

Pros: "Value, fun, economy, fun, reliability, fun, fun"

Cons: "Numb steering, cvt, potential for expensive repair"

"Fill in the blank above, but the Gen 1 Prius is great fun. There are multiple reasons to love the car, and no need to wonder why this brand continues 15 years later to dominate the hybrid market. The overall engineering design and computer integration of the hybrid system is awe-inspiring. Almost seamless transition back and forth between pure electric and engine-assisted operation. I smile when I hear people talk about 41 mpg. I averaged 54 to 65 mpg every tankful for 8 years. My girlfriend and son got as "low" as 48 mpg in Alaska on the hills to town and back. I guess their mpg results could be called the lower 48 ! I bought the car as a two (model year) old used car with 60k miles and drove until 140k miles in 8 years. 60k in less than 3 years by the original owner is a lot, and presumably were mostly highway. Reliability - Look at the brand name. Great reliability is their norm. I did have the Big Red Light (serious hybrid system problem indicator - Don't Drive) illuminate at 99,000 miles. Dealer analyzed, reset system, no charge. Hybrid system warranty was 10 yr/ 100k. Extreme cold weather caused occasional problem codes which always went away within minutes. The car preferred Florida where I had bought it. Economy - In town, it all depends on the driver. The system is great and a little effort can yield 30% to 50% better economy than EPA numbers. On the highway expect 110 mpg minus your speed; easy enough to figure, huh? (note: headwinds and tailwinds affect highway mpg at almost 1:1 ratio.) In town, anticipate the traffic and be smooth for 55 to 65 mpg. I understand that 2010 and later models have the modern equivalent of a vacuum gauge to aid in visualizing what's happening as a result of your accelerator foot technique. Not surprisingly, mine still had the ORIGINAL brakes at 140k. Driving dynamics - Frankly, it is numb. Buy a second car if you want the race car kind of fun. Used [insert little Japanese 2-seater, if you get my drift] should do it for you. Interior - the cloth interior must have had magic regenerative powers, too. Either that, or elves came and changed out the upholstery when I stored it for the winter. The folks who bought the 10 year old car from me commented that the seats and carpet looked new. I have no explanation for that. Quality shows over time,I guess. I loved the car. Just bought another 2003 with only 80k miles this morning as a present for a college student. I'm hoping she will get as many smiles from her Gen 1 Prius as I did. And write her own review, but maybe not waiting 10 years to get around to it."

An excellent car -- 186,000 miles and still going

By on Saturday, January 28, 2012

Pros: "Gas mileage, handling, standard features"

Cons: "Needs snow tires in the winter."

"I purchased this car new in 2002 and have put 186,000 miles on it at of January, 2012. It's MPG performance is great, though it has dropped a bit as the car aged. For the first 100,000 miles we averaged around 40 mpg (which is what it was rated); in the past two years this has dropped to around 34 -- higher in the summer, lower in the winter (we live in Buffalo, NY). It drives like a dream -- very tight turning circle, good acceleration, handles well on street or highway. It does require snow tires in the winter, however -- but with them it does just fine."

Love my PRIUS!

By on Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Pros: "40 mpg in town and 44 mpg HWY"

Cons: "its really tiny and wont pull a boat;)"

"I brought my 03 PRIUS used with 117k last year and have put over 30k miles in the last year, with the gas savings alone I could have practically bought another!! Obviously the design and comfort is not that of a luxury vehicle but the savings out weigh that in my book plus the green points you gain in others eyes make it just about as cool as driving a BMW:) or at least I feel that way!! It is small enough to fit in any parking spot and really pretty comfortable for a economy model. I bought this model because of all of the reviews of each year since the car was put into production it seemed like this one had the least reported problems. My mom also has an 03 Prius that she has put 420k miles (and still going!) on and literally never had to do anything other than oil changes and tires until 350k and since then she has put new brakes and about $300 worth of misc fixes so I feel like I will get my money out of my little guy!!"

Whata car!

By on Sunday, November 18, 2007

"I own six vehicles and this is by far my favorite car. After 6 months to order and 7 years of ownership, I'm not ready to give it up...yet. Avg mileage city summer = 39. Avg mileage city winter = 41. Best highway mileage extended trip = 47. Longest trip between fillups = LA to Vegas and back."

MY car

By on Thursday, July 12, 2007

"I leased this car new in 2003 and bought it once the lease was up. The first thing I had to do was learn to drive a little differently to get the most milage. The room inside is what surprises most people. Four large adults fit comfortably with plenty of leg room. Any problems I have had have been minimal and covered by warrenty. I don't want to ever give it up. I average 38 MPG in the winter and 45MPG in the summer."