2001 Toyota Prius

Based on 137 Ratings for the 2001 - 2003 models.

Luv MY Prius

By on Friday, December 5, 2008

"I truly love my Prius.. I have no major issues with this car. There are a few things you should consider before buying one (any year). **For Parents** Child car seats make putting your seat all the way back difficult (mainly a rear facing infant seat). If you have two car seats, no one could sit in the middle of them comfortably. Two rear facing infant seats and you have to pull front seats all the way up for someone to get in to back middle seat. The gas mileage IS great. It cost me $17.50 @ 1.79 a gallon to fill and I get about 38 to 41 MPG. I believe newer models are better MGP wise. I have a 2002 and have had it for 6 years now. The black on the windows tends to get rusty, you have to take care of it. My paint is still great, interior so-so (I have children), and all controls inside still working. 108,000miles on it now. Test drive it - Really! Hybrids make lots of noise when 'on' and if you are not use to them, it can scare you when they are 'off' at stop lights et. Once you have one you will not want to lose it!!!"

Reliable, Gas Saver, Roomy

By on Saturday, September 1, 2007

"I agree with the other reviewers: this Prius is surprisingly roomy, and very reliable. The only downside is styling, there is nothing fancy about this car. Unless you consider the standard LCD screen, which most people riding in my car for the first time think is super high-tech. I've gotten an average of 36-42 MPG over the last 5 years, and I drive aggresively (hard starts and stops) and use the A/C a lot. The car has held it's value very well, and has spoiled me with everything I get to take for granted: riding in the carpool lane by myself, great gas mileage, no car repair bills, 6-CD in-dash player. I love the tight turning radius, the few blind spots due to the generously-sized windows, the easy to read center-mounted digital speedometer, and the roomy cockpit."

Excellent car

By on Thursday, July 19, 2007

"Short trips, long trips, it doesn't matter. It is a real joy to drive! New Goodyear tires at 30,000, slightly oversized, really make the car hug the road in turns. If you don't exceed speed limits your mileage is excellent but if you insist on driving 75 mph or more and you really start to take a mileage hit. Even with gas prices above $3.00 I find that I consistently spend only 8 cents per mile for fuel. I find that statistic much more useful than tracking MPG. Purchased new in 2003 - zero problems. Always do suggested maintenance."

Love this car!

By on Friday, November 11, 2011

Pros: "does everything it needs to"

Cons: "no hatch back"

"I bought this car new, just before the 2nd generation came out. Perhaps I should've waited a few months, because having a hatchback and all would be great. However, the 1st generation has done a brilliant job. I'm still getting 50 mpg and have had very few maintenance issues. Very very happy!"

Dream car

By on Monday, July 25, 2016

Pros: "Great gas mileage, incredibly reliable, affordable"

Cons: "Gauge display in awkward place"

"I bought this car in 2008 with 185K miles on the engine. I have now driven it multiple times across the country, from Virginia east coast to Kansas City, and it has been a dream. Catalytic converter light came on a few years after I bought it, but I never replaced it. I am just now having issues with cylinders misfiring, which could be a result of the catalytic converter going out. My gas mileage is still 40 mpg city, 35 with full AC/hwy. A/C compressor started to wear out a few years back (fixed now), and the actuator started going bad, but only after a breakin caused me to have to change the driver's side lock, handle, and window. Alarm system on it allowed me to stop two different breakins. Most reliable car I've ever owned. I don't think I will ever not own a Prius."