2001 Toyota Prius

Based on 137 Ratings for the 2001 - 2003 models.

Toyota Hybrids for Life!!!

By on Thursday, January 26, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive and easy to park"

"I currently have 191,000 plus miles and the car has been terrific. I drive 80 highway miles daily to work and it has never put me down. Didnt change brake pads until 110,000 miles. Changed small battery twice and once under warranty. It recently started cutting off every 20 minutes of driving and discovered it was the main hybrid battery after taking it to 2 toyota dealers. The first dealer could not figure out the problem and after letting the car sit for a year at home i took it to a second dealer in memphis, tn and they discovered the main hybrid battery was bad. Spent a total of $3500 for the battery and labor it is running like a new car. I also had to change the 4 spark plug coil wires and plugs when the car had a miss in the motor. I thought for a minute that it was the motor going bad after spending all that money on the hybrid battery.However, I have put another 900 miles since and have had no more problems. I purchase a 2011 Prius during the time i let the 2002 sit a year in the driveway. It is the package 4 with leather and all the extras. However, I enjoy driving the 2002 within the city and to work!!!"

Excellent

By on Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Pros: "Durability, gas mileage, comfort, ease of use"

Cons: "Tire wear, stability at higher speed"

"Our Prius is going on 10 years and we haven't had any major issue; on a new technology vehicle like first gen Priuses, it is pretty amazing. Batteries were changed under warranty by Toyota and the car keeps on going with the same great gas mileage!"

Favorite car I've ever owned.

By on Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Pros: "Great gas mileage, easy to manuever, excellent stereo."

Cons: "Light for snow or rain and heavy wind."

"This has been a reliable, easy to drive car. Gas mileage is excellent, ergonomics perfect for me. Better dashboard design than later models. Not great in snow, it's a small light car."

Everything I asked for

By on Monday, October 19, 2009

"I wanted a comfortable, easy-to-own, high-mileage vehicle that made me feel good about my "carbon footprint." I bought this car in 2003 and have not had a minute's trouble with it. I have replaced only the battery and the tires (which I would do with any car) and it runs like a top. Still gets 46-48 miles/gallon. Great!"

Excellent Vehicle

By on Wednesday, August 20, 2008

"An excellent car all around. Get lower gas mileage than most since I live in SF and am always going up and down hills - range around 39 to 42 - if I do a lot of freeway driving it gets better mileage. The tires pick up nails easily. I figure it is a heavy car. I had a strange problem with the 'starter' battery as it lost juice when I left the car unused for over a week and a half. Other than these problems, it is a great car, easy to drive, good pickup, quiet. Can't work on it yourself. Low emissions. I have a 2003."