2007 Toyota Matrix

Based on 563 Ratings for the 2003 - 2008 models.

I LOVE THIS CAR

By on Friday, August 17, 2007

"I have owned just about every size car from a Toyota Celica (which was my mid-life crises car) to a Dodge Caravan. But I LOVE THIS CAR. The size is perfect for keeping a large dog kennel set up and still have plenty of room for packing up and going off to the beach. Of course, I do not use the rear seat, except as cargo. The styling is attractive, it handles well, I love the brakes and there was minimal damange and no personal injury at all when I was rear ended by a Lincoln Navigator. When I have used the rear seat for adult passengers, they were pleasantly surprised by the large amount of space they had. Gas economy is good, but could be better. Overall, this is a great all around car. Not the quickest car on the road, but adequate for most situations. Only reason I gave comfort a 4 instead of a 5, is that the drivers seat took a little time to get used to. I only wish that I could get this car with heated seats. I would trade mine in on a new one in a heart beat!"

Great car for the money

By on Friday, August 3, 2007

"I AM 6'2" TALL AND HAVE BACK PROBLEMS. THIS IS ONE OF THE FEW SMALL CARS THAT I'M COMFORTABLE SITTING IN. GREAT CAR, BUT A LITTLE ROUGH RIDING OVER SMALL POT HOLES AND BUMPS IN THE ROAD."

Fun to scoot around in

By on Monday, July 30, 2007

"I fell in love with this car when I first saw it. I was looking for a bigger and more expensive car. I drove it and had to have it. I had several extras put on it and waited for four months for the car to be built. It was well worth the wait. I would recommend this car to anyone who drives a lot and needs to haul "stuff". The back seats lay down and give you lots of room for carrying large items. Lots of head and leg room too, in both the front and back seats."

so much room

By on Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Pros: "lots of space, great family car, good gas mileage"

Cons: "outside noise"

"I love this car. The number one thing I always brag about is all the space in this car. Lots of head room. The trunk space is nice but the real show stopper is when you lay the back seats down flat. I have literally fit a dining room table and 4 chairs in the back. I would say the biggest negative I have to about the car is the exterior noise. Outside noise, like driving on the highway, is so loud inside the car."

I love this car!

By on Monday, August 18, 2014

"This is a great car. I bought it used and have ran this car all over the country. Not one single problem, ever. I love the great gas milage it gets, the comfort, and the room it allows. I recommend this car for anyone."

Great vehicle

By on Saturday, May 24, 2014

Pros: "fun, gas mileage, lots of storage,holds its value"

Cons: "stock ride height, wheel gap"

summer mode

"My favorite vehicle that I have owned. Not a real fast car, but feels sporty, and handles well with a few minor mods. Extremely reliable with no problems up to this point at 78,000 miles. Very easy to do all of the maintenance yourself at home too. Car has never been in for repairs or maintenance. Highly recommend this car."

summer mode

Beware and do your research

By on Thursday, April 24, 2014

"Had to replace the clutch on this 2006 model in 2011, at about 50-60,000 miles. Cost $1,000. Three years later (when the odometer has just crossed the 100K mark), the clutch is slipping again. There are a lot of similar cases written about in online forums; just a quick search will show that this is a common problem with this vehicle. Such a serious and expensive design flaw from a maker with a reputation for quality and reliability. Not. Aside from the clutch, it has been a pretty good vehicle, with a lot of space for hauling doggies or other stuff. Brakes were replaced for the first time two months ago ($700); tires were replaced early on. I believe Toyota has a reputation for shabby tires. The heat shield came loose several months ago and a 'temporary' repair is holding. Without the clutch issue, I'd have a very positive report on this car...but the clutch is a deal-breaker, cost, safety and reliability-wise."

White Steed

By on Saturday, March 29, 2014

Pros: "Taught handling, durability, winter prowess"

Cons: "Ride can be harsh, large blind spot, rear legroom"

All waxed up, shining in the sun

"Fourth owner of this particular 'trix. Very satisfied. Had it two years and have put over 35k miles on it. No complaints. Only major part I've had to replace is one wheel bearing, and I'm pretty sure that was my fault for taking it off road in the hills near where I live and trouncing through mud and rocks. That was fun. It's a great dog car, and takes a beating. It handles snow with aplomb, which is great for me and my wife, since we travel over mountain passes frequently, especially during the holidays. A nice buy, it's held its value pretty well, and I intend to keep it as long as I can use it to rack up miles on long trips. A good little pony that can go the distance."

All waxed up, shining in the sun

I love the Matrix

By on Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Pros: "Great to drive, good gas mileage"

Cons: "Can't think of any cons"

"I bought this car used with 12,000 miles on it in 2008 for a bargain price. I love the size, handling, and great gas mileage. Never a single thing wrong with the engine in 5 years except lost a couple of hub caps. I closely follow manufacturer's recommendations for maintenance, oil changes and have those done by my Toyota dealer. Keep it washed inside and outside regularly. Has all the basics nothing fancy. If you want an all around car good on the interstate or in town, this is it. I'm not sure they are making them like this one any more but it is a winner."

Great reliable car

By on Friday, August 23, 2013

Pros: "I like the way it handles."

"Wonderful mpg. Winter driving has been no lower than 29 mpg and is usually upwards of 33 mpg. In good weather I have gotten up to 40 mpg. I do routine maintenance through the Toyota dealership and that's it. I changed the battery for the first time recently. I also bought actual snow tires for the winters here and traction has been great since then."

Good Mileage, Good Road Car, Spacious Rear

By on Saturday, August 17, 2013

Pros: "Comfortable Road Car, Good Highway Power"

Cons: "4WD decreases mileage about 5 MPG"

"Very good value, especially for a 4WD. Driving ergonomics are excellent. Folding rear seat yields large cargo volume. Versatile, Comfortable, Economical to Drive."

roomy, reliable, great gas mileage

By on Thursday, February 28, 2013

Reason: sold to a relative who needs a good car

Pros: "lots of space; 33/36 MPG highway safe"

Cons: "get the XR with upgrades-worth it!"

"I've had the full XRT model with all bells and whistles, and this stripped down model. Both are safe (I walked away from an accident that totaled the car), good value, and get good MPG, but I recommend the upgraded version, it will be worth it in the long run. Handles well in the snowy icy backroads. Dont expect quick acceleration. You can fit ten 8' long 2x4 in this vehicle, or bags of feed, camping gear, etc. Handles decently on curves and hills for a car of its class. Excellent commuter car for country-to-city."

Great Car, Bad Hubs!!

By on Saturday, December 29, 2012

Pros: "Great on gas, Lot's of room and comfortable."

Cons: "What's with the Hub problems?"

"I don't know what's with this Matrix I have but I have changed out the front hubs 3 times! I replaced the front hubs once at 43,000 miles,then again at 60,000 miles and again at 85,000 miles!! Yes 3 Times because they have broken or rusted out. Mechanic couldn't understand it either. Overall the car is wonderful but I wouldn't buy another one due to the hub problem."

I love my matrix!

By on Monday, November 14, 2011

Pros: "Roomy, back folds down to carry a ton of items"

Cons: "Don't like the fabric seats."

"I bought this car four years ago and have put 100,00 miles on it. It has been the best car I have ever owned."

Very dependable!

By on Sunday, November 13, 2011

Pros: "dependable, good on gas"

Cons: "hard to get up big hills"

"Since I have had my Toyota Matrix XR I have only had to replace the front brakes. My car has 227000 miles on it and I wouldn't think twice about taking it on a long trip. Very dependable car. I plan to keep this car for years to come and if I am to buy other vehicle it will be a Toyota. I recommand this car to anyone wanting a vehicle that will last."

NO COMPLAINTS!

By on Thursday, July 29, 2010

"Like the title says,,,NO COMPLAINTS! You want more comfort? Buy a Mercedes. You want more power? Buy a Ferrari. You want more styling? Buy a BMW. I paid under $15,000 out the door for a Brand New 2005 Matrix with automatic and with power accessory package. ABS? No, one less thing to break. I've survived 35 plus years of driving without them. I still have the original Battery and brakes. I knew exactly what I was looking for in a car. I found it in the Matrix. Reliability, ease of maintenence, affordability, and economy at a great price. Plenty of hauling space with the rear seat down.They even put a timing chain instead of a timing belt on the engine. No more belt replacement at 60,000 miles. I can't kill this thing! Try to beat that for under $15,000!"

By on Thursday, January 28, 2010

"Purchased the car used in '08 with 22k miles, currently has 43.5k...besides replacement of a worn belt, the car has been flawless. Nice styling which has grown on me, great interior room...I'm 6'2" and I fit quite comfortably. The car is capable of hauling a lot of cargo...loads of room. This Matrix can easily handle the daily duties of a small and mid-size suv/cuv minus the towing. The only low point is the power off the line, but the MPG more than makes up for it....31MPH average in suburban driving. I would highly recommend the Matrix if you're looking for an spacious, economical, and reliable vehicle."

56000 mi transmission

By on Friday, December 11, 2009

"I bought my Matrix new in 07. After 56,000 mi. check engine light went on: "torque convertor clutch malfunction" After bringing it back to Toyota several times. Toyota replaced my transmission. At almost exactly 56,000 mi AGAIN the transmission failed. (Two transmissions in 115,000 miles). I have never seen a transmission this unreliable and I TEACH AUTO TECHNOLOGY! This is obviously a defect in the E.C.T. transmission, installed in 2006, But toyota will not admit a faulty part. I will never own another Toyota, as I put 55,000 miles a year on my cars and need RELIABILTY"!"

Great Vehicle

By on Friday, November 13, 2009

"Bought new in late 2002. Love the car, very versatile with folding seats, (Ithink the seats on newer models are more comfortable for long trips,but not too bad)good for hauling,camping ect. Just the standard stuff, new tires ,oil changes, installed one new starter at 100,000 miles. (no big deal,cold winters are hard on a starter)Good consistent gas milage. I think the newer ones have a little more performance but isn't bad. Roomy, and is always there for me. Grandkids call it the blue hornet and the little toodley car. I have taken them many places with it especially trips into the Rocky Mountains. I would def. reccommend and buy another. 182K and hope to get 250 to 300K out of it."

My Baby

By on Friday, January 30, 2009

"I have only had this car under a year but with my 3 kids and always traveling it has been the best car ever. She is my baby and I wont change her for anything. I recomend this car to everyone I know and family and friends have bought them too. We love the Matrix! Thanks Toyota! Its roomy, beautiful, good on gas, easily matained, easy to learn where everything is, comfertable and do I need to go on?!"

I will Never Get rid Of My Matrix

By on Tuesday, January 27, 2009

"I absolutely LOVE my car and will never get rid of it. It is the perfect size for our family and very versatile."

Crash Tested

By on Thursday, September 11, 2008

"We've owned this car for about two years, and haven't had any major problems, other than a computer problem that was covered under warranty. Yesterday my 17 mo. old son and I were hit driving our Matrix and the car rolled once and landed on its side. We were completely safe - neither of us were more hurt than seatbelt burns. So anyway, I feel like we just personally crash tested this vehicle, and for accidents around 40-45 mph, it's a pretty safe car. I would buy another one in a heart beat."

No Problems - EVER

By on Friday, February 29, 2008

"I've had this vehicle for 3 years now and have had absolutely no problems with it. It's got more cargo space than my previous vehicle (Jeep). ANYTHING fits in the back! I've hauled things you can't imagine. The gas mileage is more than acceptable for an all wheel drive vehicle. The ONLY bad thing I have to say is that the stereo speakers are TOTALLY LAME!"

I love it so far...

By on Monday, January 28, 2008

"I've only had this car for about two weeks now...but I LOVE it thus far. It's peppy, fairly comfortable (I only gave it 4 out of 5 stars for comfort because I am short and its hard to reach the petals with my seat all the way up, lol). The only reaon complaint I have is that coming from a Honda Civic to this car...the gas mileage is WAY less. Other than that, I am VERY happy!"

Love my Matrix

By on Thursday, December 13, 2007

"This car is like an SUV without the price tag and gas consumption. I can fit my kayak in the car with the seats folded down. The custom made pet barrier accomodates my 65 lb dog and keeps him safely confined in the back compartment. This is the first car I plan on keeping for as long as I can."