2004 Toyota Matrix

Based on 564 Ratings for the 2003 - 2008 models.

Better than expected

By on Sunday, September 16, 2007

"Two plus years ago, I was looking for a dependable vehicle that would give me 30 mpg. Moving from a Q45, it was definitely a transition--but one I have never regretted. Yes, I would like it to be a little taller, like the new RAV4. But this vehicle is a great package at a great price. I've been able to put four adults in with enough headroom to wear hats. And I can still see the look on that guy who was driving an Expedition when he asked me if I had really just taken a washer AND a dryer out of my vehicle at the Salvation Army! I do plenty of driving and I have gone 6 hours straight without a backache. Many reviews talk about it being under-powered. It can be if you leave it in overdrive. But if you need more, take it out of that gear, and you will be pleasantly surprised by the power and ability to climb and accelerate. I still get 30 mpg doing this and shift in and out of overdrive for acceleration and braking. The trans is fantastic, especially at higher speeds. While normal mileage is at 40,000 for 2 1/2 years, I now have 57,000 and not a problem or reason to dislike my choice. Just the opposite- I think it was the perfect one and with the Michelin Pilots, I can maneuver as well as the Q45 and feel just as safe. The only item not resolved is a movement 'click' in the driver's seat which the dealer said is normal."

great vehicle!

By on Thursday, September 19, 2013

Pros: "good value, handling, reliability"

Cons: "not great paint"

"bought this car (a 2007) with 62,000 mi in 2010, and now have close to 104,000 mi. in 2013 and have had virtually no problems with it! needs snow tires in winter- but with them does great in new england's winters. slow to pick up speed getting onto highway, but once there maintains a fairly high speed with good handling. i'm a spirited driver and like the feel of this car. it's reliability, and cargo space make it a great "do all" vehicle. I'd recommend it to friends."

Can't beat the matrix!

By on Monday, April 7, 2014

Pros: "Well-designed, fuel efficient, reliable"

Cons: "not a 4 wheel drive"

"I love this car. It is very reliable, only minor repairs like new tires and brake pads. I went from a gas guzzler at 18 mpg to this which averages 30 to 33 mpg. For a car this size, you can load a lot of stuff. Very well designed to pack. I instantly knew I wanted this car when I drove it. (hadn't planned on even buying one at that time). Had it four years and 50, 000 miles later I still have a great car. Although I've always been a 4 wheel drive lover, I am surprised how well the front wheel drive performed in the snow in Wisconsin's hard winter. Know of at least 4 people who saw my car and then bought one like it."

best choice for good looks and reliability

By on Monday, July 15, 2013

Pros: "price to value. the car was a great value"

Cons: "sometimes we wish the car had a few more horsepowe"

"I bought this car brand new, I remember everybody used to ask me what kind of car it was because there were so few at the time. for 260, 000 miles, all I've done is change the oil every seven thousand miles a couple of sets of tires and a couple of tune ups. this car has never given us any problems. we've raised one child and a 150 pound Bernese Mountain Dog in this car and it is held up just fine. we originally bought this car for its high crash test ratings. we have decided to keep this car forever although we are going to get a new car soon. if you can find one in good shape and well taken care of by it would be a good car for college student as the interior has tons of space.I am 6 foot 2 and I fit in it just fine."

Love it...

By on Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Pros: "reliable. fast and sporty."

Cons: "seats are firm"

"I bought mine used with85k miles and now 175k miles and has never let me down."

Zippy for a small car.

By on Sunday, August 19, 2012

Pros: "ecomomical dependable great in traffic"

Cons: "Seats lacking"

"I am older and find the seats to lack lumbar support and could use extra padding. They are comfortable enough for daily driving. As a commuter vehicle it is great. Fast pickup in the city. Great gas milage. No mechanical problems to date. For ecomomy it can not be beat."

I love my matrix

By on Friday, September 7, 2012

Pros: "Great value, no blind spot, sporty, great mpg"

Cons: "small engine"

"I've owned my 2005 Toyota Matrix since 2009. This car can handle anything I throw at it - I drive like a race car driver and take hard turns and speed around and she just gives me everything I want. My model is manual and it's so much fun to drive! Not a car for power hunger drivers, as the engine is only a four banger. The inside is so roomy, my friend calls my car "the Tardis", because it's bigger on the inside - it's easy to fit 4 adults comfortably in the car. The fold down back AND passenger seat lets me fit large cargo (moving is a breeze!) and the hard cover plastic on all these things lets me get messy without messing up my car. There are zero blind spots in this car and it's a toyota, so it's super reliable. I love my car, Bon Qui Qui!"

My favorite car, ever!

By on Monday, August 5, 2013

Pros: "reliable, sporty, comfortable, roomy"

Cons: "trim is really low to the ground"

"This is the best car I've ever owned. I bought it used and have had little to no maintenance issues with it. It's comfortable, it's very attractive, I've been able to haul 8 ft lumber (and a host of other things) thanks to its roomy cargo space and fold down flat seats (all the way up to the passenger seat.) Just now, at almost 200K miles it is starting to need some work. I'd say that's pretty impressive!"

Best car I've ever owned!

By on Monday, April 15, 2013

Pros: "Good price, very versatile."

"Better than listed mpg... 28/40, over the last 9 years. Extremely useful flat floor in cargo area, comfortable enough on long trips, great sound system, great visibility, reliable, and safe. Saved my bacon in an accordion accident where I was hit multiple times. Now in the process of looking for a new one."

Reliable and great gas mileage

By on Saturday, February 2, 2013

Pros: "Great purchase price, gas mileage, reliability."

Cons: "More insulation for a quieter interior."

"I've owned many cars in my life and this was my first Toyota. I bought it new in Aug,2006 and still own it. I have maintained it very well, doing most of the maintenance myself because it is easy on this car. This is the most reliable car I've have ever owned, never ever having to take it in for any repairs. Not even a light bulb has burned out on it. And for an all wheel drive car, it gets me 30 mpg consistently. When I first bought it, I thought I would only keep it for 3 yrs, but because I like it so much, hear I am at 6.5 years of ownership. My friends tell me, my Toyota still looks fairly new too..."