2018 Toyota Highlander Consumer Reviews

in the last
90 days
within 250 miles
Transaction Data

This meter represents a sample range of recent transaction prices for vehicles of the same year, make and model as the vehicle specified, but sometimes with a different style and/or equipment. Analyzed transaction prices exclude taxes, DMV fees, documentation fees, other dealership charges and any available rebates or incentives.

10/8.9

8.4

Based on 70 Ratings for the 2014 - 2018 models.

Good car for tech savy

By on Monday, February 12, 2018

Pros: "Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane Departure Assist"

Cons: "Poor CD player, blind spots"

"I am a retired IT guy, and after 5 months, I still struggle mastering some things. Some of it is that there are basic things missing, like CD player having no way to skip ahead/back within a song. The manual has dozen or more pages on bluetooth and ipod and stuff, but a mere mention about CD player. But some of it is because there are so many features and nuances. So, if youre under 40 and into technology this may be the car for you! The rest of us need to take classes to learn to use this beast;-) The LDA and ACC road features really hit the spot for me. Makes driving 3 hours to the cabin a breeze...almost a joy! And I am impressed with gas mileage. Several 100+ mile treks averaging over 28MPG with the wind (around 70MPH). Good tow vehicle. Rear lift gate is ridiculously slow to open. Good backup camera. Front left and right blind spots, especially if youre short like my wife."

Very Intelligent SUV in this crowded segment

By on Saturday, March 4, 2017

Pros: "Reliability, Resale Value, Redesign, Comfort"

Cons: "lack of memory seating in XLS model"

"I come from a Ford family, owning trucks most of my life. when the wife wanted an upscale SUV, I made sure I did my homework. we closely looked at the Explorer, Pilot, CX9 and MDX. I didnt consider the others (Durango, Grand Cherokee, Pathfinder, Hyundai.) My main objectives, were reliability, resale value, styling, comfort and gas mileage. When we test drove the Highlander, we were very impressed with the redesign. in addition, the cabin welcomed you with high-quality materials and four captains chairs. The dash was easy to navigate. The interior colors (grey leather w black carpet) were ideal for us. I highly considered the Highlander due to its Toyota quality and the tried and true 3.5 V6 engine. Other competitors had new engines, which I didnt want to be the guinea pig. Or other engines that were known to be gas hogs. Our test drive really sold the vehicle with very minimal road noise and comfort. Im glad I went with the Highlander. I must note that other makes and models make the SUV market, very competitive. To me,the MDX was a close second. I just couldnt absorb the fact that I would be paying for premium unleaded. The Explorer had a great ride, except the dash and the black interior was uninviting and the CX9 had a great interior with a new redesign, except it carried a new turbocharged 4 cylinder engine, which I hear they have already had recalls. I must add that Consumer Reports regarded the new Highlander (XLS model)as one of the best SUVS in the market giving the consumer The best bang for your buck. My humble advise, do your homework before you purchase. I did and it paid off. Very happy with our new Highlander XLS in Ocean Blue color!"

Excellent Ride. Handling, Technology&Acceleration.

By on Sunday, October 29, 2017

Pros: "Great Value for your money. Excellent Ride!"

Cons: "Seats need more custioning for comfort."

"I have had this 2014 Toyota Highlander LE Plus for two months. It has excellent room, 2nd row seats have various sliding seating positons, and room for 8 people. The only disappointment in the Toyota Highlander is the front seat comfort. I have adjusted the drivers seat as much as possible, but I am still not comfortable as in some vehicles I have owned. That is my only complaint with the vehicle. I recommend the Toyota Highlander. It has great quality and finish."

#1 value in luxury 3 row AWD.

By on Tuesday, April 22, 2014

"We were ready to put a deposit on a loaded 2014 MDX (what seemed to be the best combination of practicality, luxury and reliabilty), when we looked at a 2014 Highlander Limited AWD. After an extended test drive and and thorough comparison, we were 100% sold on the Highlander. Although the MDX offers a slight edge in acceleration and fuel efficiency, the Highlander Limited was equivalent or superior in all other aspects. And $14K cheaper. Areas where the Highlander really stood out: ** Spaciousness ** The MDX is sports sedan cozy - like a 3 series BMW (OK for 4 people, but borderline claustrophobic for 5 or more). The Highlander has more headroom, shoulder room and more cabin volume (closer to Mercedes GL or Toyota Sequoia) - and is comfortable for up to 6. ** Usable 3rd Row ** With the adjustable 2nd row captain's chairs, the 3rd Row is easily accessible for kids - and reasonable agile adults. This is a HUGE advantage of the Highlander in comparison to all but the biggest 3 row vehicles. Ventilation controls, lighting, armrests and cup holders make the 3rd row 100% practical if not actually comfortable. ** Family Friendly Luxury ** Tough, durable materials below the seat level and carefully crafted leather, blue ambient lighting and electronic displays above. And all the details and gadgetry (heated/cooled seats, traffic warming systems, push start, backup camera, nav, etc.) will make you wonder: is this really a Toyota? ** Practical Performance ** Accelerates crisply and with authority. Excellent in freeway merges and lane changes. Easy to track a straight, solid line in freeway traffic. Solid, responsive and reasonably flat handling (for a 2+ ton vehicle) in twisty 2 lane roads. While none of the vehicles in this class offer breakthrough design, I like the athletic / modern look of the Highlander as much or more than the MDX, Infinity, Audi or Lexus."

Love the interior comfort and drivability, BUT

By on Thursday, July 13, 2017

Pros: "Great SUV to drive, reliabilty excellent"

Cons: "Entertianment Nav console / angle terrible"

"I bought a new 40K highlander XLE last July from the dealership in Kennesaw Ga (BTW Great Dearlership). I love the interior comfort and the drivability but noticed almost immediately a serious problem with the entertainment console. I cannot see it during the day. At first I thought I could adjust the lighting or there was a setting to alleviate the glare. Nope, I cannot see the Navigation, stereo or phone screens during the day. Very upsetting since I purchased for these bells and whistles! The angle of the screen and placement on the dash is terrible and I cannot figure out why the design engineer, QC team or the implementation team did not see this. Do they only work at night? I have purchased 4 Toyotas & 2 Lexus vehicles and this has been the only purchase Ive regretted. If I could trade and not loss the I put into my highlander I would."