2016 Toyota Highlander Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $43,288 - $46,269.

Click on an icon below to access that browser�s download page.

Valid for ZIP code 96801 through 08/17/2017

10/9.1

Based on 58 Ratings for the 2014 - 2017 models.

Love the interior comfort and drivability, BUT

By on Thursday, July 13, 2017

Pros: "Great SUV to drive, reliabilty excellent"

Cons: "Entertianment Nav console / angle terrible"

"I bought a new 40K highlander XLE last July from the dealership in Kennesaw Ga (BTW Great Dearlership). I love the interior comfort and the drivability but noticed almost immediately a serious problem with the entertainment console. I cannot see it during the day. At first I thought I could adjust the lighting or there was a setting to alleviate the glare. Nope, I cannot see the Navigation, stereo or phone screens during the day. Very upsetting since I purchased for these bells and whistles! The angle of the screen and placement on the dash is terrible and I cannot figure out why the design engineer, QC team or the implementation team did not see this. Do they only work at night? I have purchased 4 Toyotas & 2 Lexus vehicles and this has been the only purchase Ive regretted. If I could trade and not loss the I put into my highlander I would."

Very Intelligent SUV in this crowded segment

By on Saturday, March 4, 2017

Pros: "Reliability, Resale Value, Redesign, Comfort"

Cons: "lack of memory seating in XLS model"

"I come from a Ford family, owning trucks most of my life. when the wife wanted an upscale SUV, I made sure I did my homework. we closely looked at the Explorer, Pilot, CX9 and MDX. I didnt consider the others (Durango, Grand Cherokee, Pathfinder, Hyundai.) My main objectives, were reliability, resale value, styling, comfort and gas mileage. When we test drove the Highlander, we were very impressed with the redesign. in addition, the cabin welcomed you with high-quality materials and four captains chairs. The dash was easy to navigate. The interior colors (grey leather w black carpet) were ideal for us. I highly considered the Highlander due to its Toyota quality and the tried and true 3.5 V6 engine. Other competitors had new engines, which I didnt want to be the guinea pig. Or other engines that were known to be gas hogs. Our test drive really sold the vehicle with very minimal road noise and comfort. Im glad I went with the Highlander. I must note that other makes and models make the SUV market, very competitive. To me,the MDX was a close second. I just couldnt absorb the fact that I would be paying for premium unleaded. The Explorer had a great ride, except the dash and the black interior was uninviting and the CX9 had a great interior with a new redesign, except it carried a new turbocharged 4 cylinder engine, which I hear they have already had recalls. I must add that Consumer Reports regarded the new Highlander (XLS model)as one of the best SUVS in the market giving the consumer The best bang for your buck. My humble advise, do your homework before you purchase. I did and it paid off. Very happy with our new Highlander XLS in Ocean Blue color!"

#1 value in luxury 3 row AWD.

By on Tuesday, April 22, 2014

"We were ready to put a deposit on a loaded 2014 MDX (what seemed to be the best combination of practicality, luxury and reliabilty), when we looked at a 2014 Highlander Limited AWD. After an extended test drive and and thorough comparison, we were 100% sold on the Highlander. Although the MDX offers a slight edge in acceleration and fuel efficiency, the Highlander Limited was equivalent or superior in all other aspects. And $14K cheaper. Areas where the Highlander really stood out: ** Spaciousness ** The MDX is sports sedan cozy - like a 3 series BMW (OK for 4 people, but borderline claustrophobic for 5 or more). The Highlander has more headroom, shoulder room and more cabin volume (closer to Mercedes GL or Toyota Sequoia) - and is comfortable for up to 6. ** Usable 3rd Row ** With the adjustable 2nd row captain's chairs, the 3rd Row is easily accessible for kids - and reasonable agile adults. This is a HUGE advantage of the Highlander in comparison to all but the biggest 3 row vehicles. Ventilation controls, lighting, armrests and cup holders make the 3rd row 100% practical if not actually comfortable. ** Family Friendly Luxury ** Tough, durable materials below the seat level and carefully crafted leather, blue ambient lighting and electronic displays above. And all the details and gadgetry (heated/cooled seats, traffic warming systems, push start, backup camera, nav, etc.) will make you wonder: is this really a Toyota? ** Practical Performance ** Accelerates crisply and with authority. Excellent in freeway merges and lane changes. Easy to track a straight, solid line in freeway traffic. Solid, responsive and reasonably flat handling (for a 2+ ton vehicle) in twisty 2 lane roads. While none of the vehicles in this class offer breakthrough design, I like the athletic / modern look of the Highlander as much or more than the MDX, Infinity, Audi or Lexus."

Highlander - save 50% over a Lexus GX

By on Monday, September 26, 2016

Pros: "Very quiet built for 250K miles"

Cons: "Does not have side sunscreens"

"My wife and I have a Lexus GX470 and I traded a Mercedes CLK430 for a Highlander. We looked at the Lexus RX but I cannot stand the new Lexus styling. We test drove the Highlander and we were very impressed. We didn't want all the fancy electronics (like the radar) on the Highlander Hybrid and choose the XLE instead. The interior ride is exceptionally quiet. Everything works and I love the horizontal shelf built into the front dashboard. It doesn't have a wood steering wheel like our Lexus, but the build quality is great. I would highly recommend."

2014 Highlander Limited AWD with Platinum Package

By on Friday, February 21, 2014

Pros: "All the tech, smooth / quiet ride, fun, comfort"

"Wow... Just picked up my 2014 Highlander this week, and it is awesome! Much different from my 2008 Highlander, eventhough it was great too. I will start by saying this is about the most quiet SUV I have ever been in. Smooth as silk ride. I have most everything that comes with it except the DVD. The leather seats are extremely comfortable , and the driver seat has plenty of seat adjustments. The safety features are fantastic: Lane departure, blind spot, parking assist, auto cruise control, back-up camera with wide screen. The bridgestone tires that mine came with are very quiet, and they look great! The JBL system is sweet, and all the apps are fun to try as well. Easy to use controls are great ! The new 6 speed trans. is very smooth...you hardly feel the trans. shift at all.There is plenty of leg room both front and back, as well as head room. The panoramic sunroof is awesome and lets in alot of light. It is very fun to drive. I test drove a Lexus RX350, and there is no comparison. highlander is more quiet and smooth, and offers a lush interior and plenty of options. Try one out...you will love it !"