2016 Toyota Highlander Consumer Reviews

The Fair Market Range for this car in your area is $44,615 - $47,252.

Click on an icon below to access that browser�s download page.

Valid for ZIP code 96801 through 02/23/2017

10/9.1

Based on 52 Ratings for the 2014 - 2017 models.

#1 value in luxury 3 row AWD.

By on Tuesday, April 22, 2014

"We were ready to put a deposit on a loaded 2014 MDX (what seemed to be the best combination of practicality, luxury and reliabilty), when we looked at a 2014 Highlander Limited AWD. After an extended test drive and and thorough comparison, we were 100% sold on the Highlander. Although the MDX offers a slight edge in acceleration and fuel efficiency, the Highlander Limited was equivalent or superior in all other aspects. And $14K cheaper. Areas where the Highlander really stood out: ** Spaciousness ** The MDX is sports sedan cozy - like a 3 series BMW (OK for 4 people, but borderline claustrophobic for 5 or more). The Highlander has more headroom, shoulder room and more cabin volume (closer to Mercedes GL or Toyota Sequoia) - and is comfortable for up to 6. ** Usable 3rd Row ** With the adjustable 2nd row captain's chairs, the 3rd Row is easily accessible for kids - and reasonable agile adults. This is a HUGE advantage of the Highlander in comparison to all but the biggest 3 row vehicles. Ventilation controls, lighting, armrests and cup holders make the 3rd row 100% practical if not actually comfortable. ** Family Friendly Luxury ** Tough, durable materials below the seat level and carefully crafted leather, blue ambient lighting and electronic displays above. And all the details and gadgetry (heated/cooled seats, traffic warming systems, push start, backup camera, nav, etc.) will make you wonder: is this really a Toyota? ** Practical Performance ** Accelerates crisply and with authority. Excellent in freeway merges and lane changes. Easy to track a straight, solid line in freeway traffic. Solid, responsive and reasonably flat handling (for a 2+ ton vehicle) in twisty 2 lane roads. While none of the vehicles in this class offer breakthrough design, I like the athletic / modern look of the Highlander as much or more than the MDX, Infinity, Audi or Lexus."

Highlander - save 50% over a Lexus GX

By on Monday, September 26, 2016

Pros: "Very quiet built for 250K miles"

Cons: "Does not have side sunscreens"

"My wife and I have a Lexus GX470 and I traded a Mercedes CLK430 for a Highlander. We looked at the Lexus RX but I cannot stand the new Lexus styling. We test drove the Highlander and we were very impressed. We didn't want all the fancy electronics (like the radar) on the Highlander Hybrid and choose the XLE instead. The interior ride is exceptionally quiet. Everything works and I love the horizontal shelf built into the front dashboard. It doesn't have a wood steering wheel like our Lexus, but the build quality is great. I would highly recommend."

Solid but road feel and seat comfort are lacking

By on Thursday, December 8, 2016

Pros: "Great styling, Nav system, controls"

Cons: "Poor steering, uncomfortable seats, gas mileage"

"I have 1100 miles on a 2016 Limited Platinum. It's nice, but I feel like I let "getting a good deal" sucked me in, and I ignored the (lack of) driving dynamics when purchasing. This SUV seemingly has it all: AWD, great reliability and styling, seating up to 7, a great Nav unit and controls. It should be runaway winner. It's not though. I miss the driving experience of my 2009 MDX and the road feel I was accustomed to. The Toyota steering is so far removed from road feel, it reminds me of the '76 Buick I took my driver's test in. Maybe that's extreme, but it's no Honda either. We have an Odyssey that's more fun to drive. While I noticed the steering on the test drive, I thought I'd get used to it. After 2 months of ownership, I absolutely CANNOT get comfortable in the driver's seat. It has 8-way adjustability, but side support is awful. My left leg always rubs against the trip in the door, causing it to dig into my knee. Honestly, it's ticking me off. If I could trade the SUV in, I would (I've already inquired). The Nav system and controls though are top notch. There interior and lower dash shelf are great. Collision system is good. Exterior styling IMO is awesome. It's a sharp looking car. The full length sun roof is fantasic. The rims are a bit of another issue. We've all had "curb rash" where you accidentally scrape a curb when parking. There are companies that fix these things easily and relatively cheaply. However, you can't have that done on this Highlander (limited platinum). The rims are alloys, but they have a metal "tape" finish over them. So if you hit a curb, that's it. No cosmetic fix can be done. You need a new rim, or just live with the damage. Very frustrating to find out on day 3 of ownership! At least I received a solid trade in value, 0% financing and a lot of extras thrown in, but I'm not overwhelmed with it at all. It handles more like a "body on frame" designed SUV and the seats are just not comfortable. It's a great SUV, but I will not be paying this off before I trade it in."

Highlander 2wd Limited Platinum - luxury

By on Thursday, April 24, 2014

Pros: "Safety features, Comfort, Family value,"

Cons: "short stock, LED headlight, entertainment sys"

"I drove away my first Toyota, I was swinging between Toyota and couple of other brands including Nissan Pathfinder, SantaFe, Pilot and certified Infinity JX35/QX60. I am so happy I bought what I bought. Its awesome vehicle. I bought top of the line and trust me you should buy this if you are not afraid of spending a bit more and do not really care about seating 8. It rides like a warm knife through a melting butter cube. It rides way better than the previous generation. The interior is good, captains chairs in second row are super comfy. Dashboard and first row cabin is sheer luxury. You will notice Toyota is not looking to cut corners there. I totally felt its designed to attract young family where Male drivers are willing to drive a real Cross Over and not a van and Toyota hit a home run with this. It looks manly from outside. The safety features are good enough to make you feel not out of date in following years. Blind spot, lane departure, front collision system, rear sonar, parking assist newly added air bags are good to keep my kids safe inside the car. Surprisingly the ride is peppy, I was suspecting it to be dull but its quite fun. You will feel little bit of body roll if you cut the corners tightly. But lets be honest, if you are buying this vehicle you are looking for little bit of style, a lot of comfort, a lot of safety features and stable ride. It does drive well as long as you are not expecting it to ride like a read SUV like FJ or 4Runner. I highly recommend buying this if you are looking for a good, safe and sensible family ride. BTW, it does fit a stroller even when you are using third row. I tried it, it was my buying criteria, it just fits a stroller."

2014 Highlander Limited AWD with Platinum Package

By on Friday, February 21, 2014

Pros: "All the tech, smooth / quiet ride, fun, comfort"

"Wow... Just picked up my 2014 Highlander this week, and it is awesome! Much different from my 2008 Highlander, eventhough it was great too. I will start by saying this is about the most quiet SUV I have ever been in. Smooth as silk ride. I have most everything that comes with it except the DVD. The leather seats are extremely comfortable , and the driver seat has plenty of seat adjustments. The safety features are fantastic: Lane departure, blind spot, parking assist, auto cruise control, back-up camera with wide screen. The bridgestone tires that mine came with are very quiet, and they look great! The JBL system is sweet, and all the apps are fun to try as well. Easy to use controls are great ! The new 6 speed trans. is very smooth...you hardly feel the trans. shift at all.There is plenty of leg room both front and back, as well as head room. The panoramic sunroof is awesome and lets in alot of light. It is very fun to drive. I test drove a Lexus RX350, and there is no comparison. highlander is more quiet and smooth, and offers a lush interior and plenty of options. Try one out...you will love it !"