2009 Toyota Highlander

Based on 390 Ratings for the 2008 - 2013 models.

By on Wednesday, August 6, 2008

"I've had my 08 Limited fwd Highlander over a year now. It has given me 0 problems. I get around 20 mpg for my typical driving around town (occaisional freeway blast) and ususally around 24 on the highway. According to the computer, it has averaged 21.4 for the first 13,000 miles driven. It is the "right size" vehicle for me. It handles my hunting gear, and other items well. I think the handling and steering are as good as anything I've ever driven..and that includes some sports cars. It corners very hard. There is some initial lean when entering a curve while the progressively wound springs take a "set". Once it establishes an attitude in the corner it is very stable and can really be "leaned" on. Steering is pricise and there is no "hunt". I have only one complaint. The seats are hard, and not very compliant, and for me have way too much lumbar. The drivers seat of course has adjustable lumbar, but I simply can't get it back far enough and it hurts my back after a while. This sort of ruins an otherwise outstanding vehicle. I intend to take it to a trim ship and see if it can be modified to be more comfortable."

Clear sailing

By on Saturday, September 22, 2007

"Roomy, spacious, comfortable, excellent visibility. All kinds of neat gizmos. Turned in my 2006 SUV from another maker that was excellent except for some bad ergonomic issues in the interior. I've had a couple of used Toyota's in the past, but this is the first new one. Surprising how well this V6 moves this thing. I like it. One niggle. The raised details on the hood make it difficult to judge the front corners in tight spots."

Great Car!

By on Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Pros: "Ride, Fuel economy, safety features, style."

Cons: "3rd row seating should have been an option."

"Bought new and haven't had any real problems at all. Quality has been excellent. Great ride, impressive fuel economy with a v6 engine. Spacious front and rear seating, although, 3rd row is very small and useless to me. (My only complaint about the car)"

Best vehicle ever.

By on Friday, June 21, 2013

Pros: "great handling and rich feeling"

Cons: "not a one"

"This, 2010 Limited Highlander, is my 3rd Highlander. The ride is as smooth if not smoother than most cars. It handles beautifully and is totally reliable. Highlander beats my former Ford Explorer by miles and Chevy's SUV doesn't come close. I'm planning on buying my 4th one soon."

Seat design

By on Monday, June 6, 2011

Pros: "Price and styling"

Cons: "Front seats are uncomfortable on long trips."

"Purchased this vehicle new about 3 weeks ago. Just got back from a road trip from Texas to Florida. On long stretches of driving and sitting, I found the driver side seat to be a little uncomfortable and the passenger side seat to be very uncomfortable. The rear seats were fine. I wish I had picked the power seat option for the passenger side as there are no adjustment options other than recline and forward/backward. The seating platform is not well designed, in my opinion. The sound system that comes standard is also of inferior quality, in my opinion. I wish I had spent the extra money for the upgraded sound system. Other than these things, the car drives nice and looks good."

Amazing Car!!

By on Thursday, August 26, 2010

"I would recommend this car to anyone who can afford it (tad bit on the pricey side), but a good value for the perks. The vehicle handles much like a car. It is spacious and a great option over buying a van."

Just Perfect!

By on Wednesday, September 26, 2007

"Traded in my 07 Acura RDX with this new 08 Highlander. Its performance, comfort, styling & interior capacity is perfect. Runs smooth and very quiet, after just 300 miles I'm getting 20 MPG."

senior citizen - best car we have ever owned!!!

By on Thursday, March 30, 2017

Pros: "comfort, power and unbelieveable dependability"

Cons: "first gen back-up camera"

"Never had any mechanical problems or otherwise. running on original brakes and same hybrid battery. always serviced on time. first generation back-up cam isnt the best under certain lighting conditions, but other than that its one sweet ride. Im able to squeeze 30 mpgs out of it where as my wife gets about 27 on average. its pretty much her ride. I love it on long trips, set the cruise, lay back, listen to XM and voila youre there! BTW we live in snow country at about 6,900 feet elevation. the car handles great in the snow with m/s radials."

This was my second Highlander!

By on Saturday, March 11, 2017

Reason: Son needed a car

Pros: "Great to drive, lots of cargo space, looks great!"

Cons: "Items can easily fall between the front seats"

"Love my Highlanders! My first was a 2008 Highlander that I passed on to our daughter after 4 years. This was my second Highlander which I just passed on to our son. I bought a new Highlander for myself yesterday! One of the reasons I keep buying Highlanders is the cargo space. Ive purchased things to bring home and when the item(s) are brought out Ive more than once been told thats not going to fit in your car and I say - oh yes it will! I love the size of the vehicle, not too small and not too large."

Great all around vehicle

By on Thursday, December 15, 2016

Pros: "Reliable, versatile, roomy."

Cons: "Road noise."

"This vehicle is a great value and very versatile. Superb reliability is the cornerstone of Toyota and the Highlander lives up to it's billing. Plenty of room, easy, simple controls, great visibility make it a pleasure to drive. Gas mileage about 20 mpg overall. If any negative I would say road noise a little high for this price range."

Great vehicle

By on Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Pros: "2nd highlander owned - comfortable and dependable"

"Would highly recommend. I had 165,000 trouble free miles on my last Highlander when sold."

Owned for 5 yrs no problems, very comfortable

By on Monday, August 5, 2013

Pros: "very comfortable and sure footed in bad weather"

Cons: "no 2nd row charging, mileage not as advertised"

"Have been happy with this vehicle, very roomy and comfortable. Has been reliable for first 100,000 and reasonable maintenance cost. Had a problem with rear hubs 2nd year into it, but fixed and has been fine. Mileage is more 27 highway and 24 city, I do a lot of city driving and do 65 to 75 on highway. very sure footed snow and rain, love the engine breaking feature for steep downhill in snow and ice."

L O V E this vehicle!

By on Saturday, July 13, 2013

Pros: "Great ride, quiet, 4cyl has lots of power."

Cons: "Can't think of any cons."

"Have had it for three weeks now. Love everything about it. Been waiting a long time for this and glad I got it. Got the base model, 4cyl., has everything I want/need. Cloth interior is beautiful. Drives/handles like a small vehicle (meaning does not have a big bulky feel). Got a great deal from my Toyota dealer too. Everyone should be this lucky!!!"

Love this car! Fair/good mileage for size.

By on Sunday, April 1, 2012

Pros: "Back up camera, wonderful stereo"

"This car is so comfortable, and fun to drive. Lots of power..wonderful for road trips. There is lots of room in the second row seating."

Excellent, no problems whatsoever.

By on Sunday, March 25, 2012

"Nice road car also, very comfortable."

Comfortable

By on Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Pros: "Comfortable"

Cons: "Cramped 3rd row, A bit expensive"

"Very comfortable to sit in and drive. Ergodynamics and carbin layout is excellent. My wife and I love the 4 cup holders. Bluebooth music and phone calls are crystal clear. The 8" navigation screen is a good update over our previous 4.3" portable one. It drives like a car (instead of a tank, like the Pilot or Explorer). Third row seat is cramped but useful for the occasional kids in the back. Exterior styling is not the best I've seen, but good enough. Not a single problem after over 15,000 miles. If you value comfortability and reliability with spare capacity for the occasional people and cargo hauler, this is the car!"

Great vehicle, want another new one!

By on Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Pros: "Very comfortable for 4 adults, fun to drive!"

Cons: "3rd seat needs to be just a little larger"

"I have already recommended this car to friends, think it's better than some which they paid much more. Is more comfortable than the Lincoln, Arcadia, Explorer, that I have ridden in, more leg room especially. Wish it had cooling seats, and a few other luxuries found in more expensive cars."

Love my SUV

By on Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, awesome handling for an SUV"

Cons: "Navigation is sketchy"

"Turned in a Honda Odyssey for this Highlander - best deal ever! Gave up none of the handling for better gas mileage and a cooler "soccer mom" car."

Made a great choice

By on Wednesday, December 21, 2011

"I made my own check list of things I wanted in my next vehicle, whether it ended up being a mini-van, SUV or cross-over. Test drove nearly a dozen different makes and models but the Highlander won hands down. With two nearly grown teenagers, we were looking for a roomy back seat for long trips; my husband has mobility issues and needed something easy to get in/out of; I was looking for comfort, value and pretty good gas milege. The only thing - and this is nit-picky - that we have not liked was that the aux jack for iPod/MP3 player has never worked and dealership says they don't know how to fix it. Other than normal maintenance, have not invested one extra penny in this car and would gladly buy another one!"

Great ride and excellent hauling capacity.

By on Monday, October 17, 2011

Pros: "Comfy on long trips"

Cons: "Lacks a compass visible without having to use GPS"

"Love this car! Only problem in three years was power steering/computer failure. Comfortable, great on gas mileage, and great for long trips."

Great larger SUV

By on Sunday, January 30, 2011

"We"ve had our Limited V6 AWD for 10 months. We've already put 23000 miles on the ODO! The Highlander has been great and reliability is flawless. We've been averaging 21 mpg, and have returned 25 mpg on the highway. it is very roomy and people always comment on the limousine-like amount of legroom in the second row seat (we rarely use the third row and keep the 2nd row all the way back). It also has excellent hauling capacity with the seats folded flat. We love the low step-in height and reasonable ground clearance for "soft-roading" at relatives farms, state-parks, etc. The engine has great power, and the AWD provides a sure-footed feel....especially in slippery conditions. The interior is attractive and relatively quite, but there is quite a lot of tire-noise on rougher roads. It has some cheap-feeling hard plastics, but it looks nice and isn't a huge issue. My only major complaint is the over-boosted/numb power steering, which makes handling feel a little awkward at times. After having a terrible experience with Ford, we have have had three Toyotas (Tacoma, 4runner, Celica) and kept each of them over 100k miles. We have never had to do anything other than routine maintenance on any of them. and only bought new vehicles because we WANTED to, not because we HAD to. We highly recommend this SUV."

Awesome Car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By on Wednesday, October 27, 2010

"I'm a hockey mom of three kids. I need space, 7 seats, high MPG and good safety ratings+I like good pickup and good looks!It also has great turning radius. The highlander hybrid does it all! I had a 2006 model and now have a 2008. I'm thinking about the 2011!!!!!"

Very Nice

By on Monday, October 18, 2010

"Great reliable comfortable car, good for a family, the 3 rear seats are really tight The design is fine, this is a great car"

best highlander ever

By on Saturday, August 21, 2010

"even with recent recalls it is 100 % perfect.the gas mileage is considerably better than the window sticker. it is so good of a vehicle i,m considering not having recall work done in fear they would screw something up. this is my 3rd highlander, of the new body style, and by far the best one."

My Highlander replaced a Tundra truck and I am ext

By on Thursday, July 23, 2009

"This Highlander that I drive has 82,000 miles on it and I am well pleased as I traded a Tundra truck for it. It has served me well as I have 82,000 miles on it and taken good care of it with oil and filter when prescribed and normal maintence."