2007 Toyota Highlander

Based on 859 Ratings for the 2001 - 2007 models.

My second Highlander

By on Monday, August 6, 2007

"I bought a 2007 Highlander to replace my 2003 because this is the last year of that model and I wanted the economical 4 cylinder engine which will not be available on the 2008. The 2003 was reliable, comfortable and problem free for my four years of ownership. The 2007 Highlander is a greater value because of the additional safety features such as side curtain air bags, VSC and traction control and better designed with more storage area under the rear deck because the full sized spare tire was relocated to exterior storage under the rear deck. The suspension of the 2007 appears tighter than the 2003 resulting in an uncomfortable ride where each ripple in the road was felt because the OEM Bridgestone tires rode hard. These tires, manufactured in Japan for Toyota had a 7/32" tread depth and only a 6" tread width. The poor ride was corrected by replacing the OEM Japanese Bridgestone tires with Michelin Cross Terrains which have a tread depth of 10/32" and a 7" wide tread. The 2007 Highlander is a great mid-sized SUV that has been improved in design and safety features over the years and gives a refined, comfortable and secure ride if equipped with Yokohama or Cross Terrain tires."

The most trouble free car I have owned

By on Thursday, June 2, 2016

Pros: "Smooth, strong, quiet and trouble free"

Cons: "Could have used more power outlets in the back."

"I am a Toyota technician for the past 20+ years so I see it all. Lack of maintenance through kids abusing vehicles. This model 2003 Highlander V6 Limited, has almost no recalls and/or issues. I have 225,000 miles on mine and I have kept the maintenance up regularly. It has never left me on the side of the road or given me an ounce of trouble. Only things I have had to replace over time were the B1S1 and B2S1 (A/F oxygen sensors) and the temp control blend door servo. I haven't had to repeatedly replace them either. I would recommend this model to anyone looking for a midsize SUV with decent HP. I will say the allwheel drive models are heavier and you can feel it when driving them."

excellent investment

By on Friday, June 28, 2013

Pros: "great investment"

Cons: "better gas efficiency would be awesome"

"best car I have ever owned. if taken well care of, with proper maintenance, continues to run like near brand new off the dealers lot. body and interior has held up so well too. always reliable, only one "surprise" which was the "idle air adjustment valve" went at approx 280k miles. my mechanic believes I will easily get up to 400k on this car then we plan to put in a factory rebuilt engine when the day comes this one has had enough......this car is a great investment"

Very reliable, comfortable SUV.

By on Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Pros: "Great reliability, drives like a car not a SUV."

Cons: "No front cupholders."

"At 145,000 miles nothing has failed on this SUV. Regular maintenance has been done and it has never let me down. At 90,000 miles the struts were replaced and the cooling system renewed with Toyota long-life coolant, along with new radiator hoses."

I absolutely love this car!!

By on Monday, October 10, 2016

Pros: "SAFE!!!!!! Stable, reliable, easy to drive."

Cons: "not a lot of luxury items in cab."

"I bought this vehicle after driving a minivan for 9 years and had to lobby HARD for it. It was well worth the effort. This car has been my favorite yet. There was no road or road conditions that I felt unsafe on, it handles great on the highway, snow and ice and dirt 4WD roads and the stability can't be beat. I had 2 major accidents in this vehicle (my only 2 in my life), and both times no one was injured in my vehicle because it did it's job and protected the interior cab occupants by crumpling where it needed to without affecting the cab. I can honestly say that this car saved my life twice!! There were a few small annoyances with it's operation, like only one window could not be down or you were in a wind tunnel and some irregularity in ride smoothness from the passenger side when it was at highway speeds, but they were minor compared to the reliability, efficiency and safety of this vehicle. I would buy one again in a heartbeat!!"

best car ever had I'm 62yr old

By on Monday, May 23, 2016

Pros: "great for night problem driving"

Cons: "cassete tape is kinda out dated"

"Bought used at dealer in florida car had 113k miles and I paid $13k for it and may have found deal but I liked the car. Three 1/2 yr latter i'm putting my first money into it which is simply the car battery! It runs great,smooth ride, I LOVE all the window space to look out for other cars. Its great I can put my dogs in the back, or lots of groceries. I've even slept VERY COMFORTABLY with plenty of room in the back. It now has $126,400 miles which Kelly book says is above average. I hear the car can go 200k miles and i'm not selling until it starts costing too much $ to keep it- I LOVE IT gas mileage not so great but its a suv and its really not so bad avg 20mpg it now has 126,455 miles was 113k miles 3 1/2 yr ago"

Best Vehicle I Ever Owned

By on Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Pros: "Excellent for Family and Long Trips!"

Cons: "For a 2003 I wish it got better GAS MILEAGE!!!"

"Never gave me an once of trouble! In 12 years, replaced 2 Battery's. Drives and handles like a dream. You take care of it and it takes care of you. Maintenance only!!"

Solid 9 out of 10 car but keep wishing for a 10

By on Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Pros: "Stylish, dependable, power, seats"

Cons: "No front cup holders, sways on winding roads"

"I have had this car since new - 2006, the Hybrid model, and have had very low cost maintenance thus far. The recalled inverter problem never surfaced, but was replaced by dealership at no charge but took most of the day until late afternoon to replace (I always drop car by 9am or so). It got great gas mileage when we lived in flat area of SF bay area, but now we live in hills so think that the hybrid feature is now not so effective, and our gas mileage has plummeted. I wore out the brakes at 100K as going down steep hills a lot, and B drive doesn't work to well on really steep declines. Got this car in silver, hardly never need to clean it...the silver keeps in looking clean. Cloth interior (gray) is comfortable, and I avoided leather since prefer cloth much more (less sticky, etc). The light gray carpet has stained though, and not sure from what since I don't allow food in car, only water bottles. I would never have a dark interior though as hate to have a roasting car in summer, and dark colors absorb heat. This SUV has great pick-up and power, and I can navigate the freeways with confidence. The seats are super comfortable with great lumbar support, etc. I got the AWD. So what have I not liked? 1) Dash - doesn't include any of the current technology for music (we don't use the radio or CD, only iPod or iPhone), so I have a triple outlet for usb to mp3 connections in the cigarette lighters. I had to get 6 foot adapters from the front to the back for kids iPods. I have my GPS on a bean bag on dash which I really like a lot. I'm grateful that I got the premium sound package, as the speakers are better than factory. 2) HVAC - no heat or air to the back seats so my kids are always complaining too hot, too cold. All the vents are in the front, so I have to take the blast for hot & cold first. 3) Storage - seriously lacking in back if all 7 seats are in use. No real cup holders in front for driver and passenger, but kids in back each get 3 cup holders on each side? This really really bugs me. 4) Handling - weebles, wobbles, but doesn't fall down (anyone remember that commercial?). Driving down hills at fast speeds is fun for me, but this SUV has a serious sway to it, and BMW sedans speed on by me in frustration to get around. I can't go any faster due to the height of the vehicle without enough width for handling. Think the new Highlander added a few inches in width to help with this challenge. 5) 3rd Row - no split to the 3rd row seat which would help a lot, and very cramped, but small kids love it, not needing their car seats in 3rd row - can't fit a booster back there anyway. Really can't think of anything else. Great car overall, and has needed very little maintenance. Take in every 5,000 miles and invoice usually just over $100. However, I did just this last week have the auto lock for driver's side stop working (must use key manually now until next service). That is why I came on this sight to see what else may start to go wrong. I am at about 110K miles. Cars I have owned in past: Ford Escort Wagon '89 (totaled by husband, no one hurt), VW bus '72 (carburetor problems), Acura Legend '96 (CV axel joints wore out - too heavy a car for axels), Volvo Diesel '79 (black smoker - terrifying entering freeway), Volvo gas engine, '83 (very boxy). Advice if purchase: Go to Costco for Michelin tires instead of the cheap Goodyear tires that Toyota service puts on. I kid you not - they last THREE times longer!"

Best car I have owned.

By on Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Pros: "great car as most toyotas"

Cons: "engine warning light."

"Only to shop for changing timing belt at 90,000 miles. The only issue is the check engine light which relates to the environmental control systems."

Would like to give high remarks but...

By on Monday, May 26, 2008

"As the title states I'd like to give my Highlander high marks. First the bad: Toyota had to replace two engines (due to gelling) for this vehicle. This vehicle was well maintained and oil changes were regular. At 80k the transmission was checked, which checked out fine and then I switched to synthetic oil on the recommendation of my mechanic. Toyota made good on the engine changes but still I can't help but feel that this particular Highlander should have considered a lemon. The good: Kept me and my family safe through two (NOT major but definitely not minor either) car collisions. Very reasonable gas milage for it's size, I hovered around 19.7 MPG on average for city and highway combined. Had an impressive interior and I other then the engine failures I enjoyed this car very much."

incredible SUV to own

By on Friday, October 24, 2014

Pros: "VERY reliable!"

"Bought new. Has never broken down in all these years, and as a mother of 3 children, can't say enough how much that means to me! The only issue I have had is with the air conditioner, but was not an emergency to fix so I am still thrilled. Get 18.8 mpg city, but I wonder if stupid ethanol in gas contributed to this, as I was getting more until they started adding it to all gas."

Absolutely tops among mid-size SUV hybrids!

By on Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, quick, uber-practical!"

Cons: "Spare hard to reach (but it's a real tire)!"

"I've owned this car for 3 years, having owned a Honda for the family (Odyssey)and Bimmers (5 series--530i, 528e) for my ego. The 2006 Highlander green is, hands down, and head and tails over what I'd espected. It's both practical and stylish (for an SUV), comfortable, and is mechanically super competent. As far as practicality is concerned, it serves well as a vacation car in that it is roomy enough to carry 5 passengers in relative comfort on day trips while carrying a load of "stuff"--suit cases, beach gear, beach house grub, etc., and do double duty as a rather svelt get around car, ferring grandpa, grandma and a 5 grandkids to lunch, the beach, and the Flying Horses! And it does all of this whilst zipping from 0 - 60 in less than 8 seconds! Great pickup, great passing; I love surprising pickups, Cherokees, even the occassional 'sporty' import off the line, so to speak. And I average 24 mpg; better if I drive anywhere close to the speed limits. It actually does better in town than on the highway, which makes sense considering the hybrid attitude. All around, a great ride. Not sure how the newer models fare, but the 2006 is a genuine conversation piece well worth the price."

Never regretted buying this car

By on Sunday, December 1, 2013

Pros: "Great car, nice ride, roomy and versatile"

Cons: "Could use separate a/c vent for back seats"

"Nothing fancy, but has always had a nice ride, extremely reliable, and feels like it easily has another 200,000 miles in it. Have had this car for 12 years because I never had an excuse to sell it."

Average quality vehicle

By on Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Pros: "good driv., good design, saves gas"

Cons: "rigid drv seat, under avr. quality"

"I bought my Highlander (V6) on 2005. It has 80000 miles so far and looks in good shape. The driving has been good and smooth for 2 first years but I can hear a lot of noise on the freeway during the last years. I like its design and the inside features (leather) but the driver seat is a little rigid and narrow. I have been disappointed from the quality of the car compared with the price I paid to buy this car. The first 6 months the plastic insulation of the passenger door had a problem and the Toyota dealer fixed it. Although I have paid for the regular service (every 5000 miles) at my local dealers at 75000 miles the AC was out of service and the Toyota dealers asked for 1150$ to repair it (I repaired it for 700$ at Firestone. Additionally at the same mileage it has some problems with right rear strut, dealer asked 1360$ to replace both the right and the left strut. I repaired them again at a Firestone shop for 792$. Also the exterior paint looks no so resistant compared with this of the Chevy Malibu I have had before the highlander. I would say it is an average SUV and good for everyday driving but overpriced by the dealer."

Vehicle not for everyone

By on Saturday, October 20, 2007

"Our 2006 Highlander is OK for smaller beople. I think the vehicle lacks power (V6) and hesitates during acceleration. The automatic 4WD Traction Control will get you stuck if all 4 wheels are lacking traction (the brakes will apply to the wheel that is spinning, if all 4 wheels are spinning, ice/sand, you will be stranded. The comfort is not good for long trips, but for short commutes it's OK. Yeah, it has a 3rd row seat, but it's only useful if you are 4 ft tall. gas mileage is good and quality is typical Toyota (very good). I wouls say it's not for everyone but a good vehicle none the less."

Be careful

By on Thursday, August 23, 2007

"I bought this car less than a year ago and now the rear differential is gone...it is under warranty but a sign of things to come...at the dealer we asked if it is safe to drive the car and we recieved an "i dont know" All i can do is wait and see..."

Great vehicle

By on Wednesday, July 25, 2007

"The most reliable we have owned. Minimal repairs and service. This was involved in auto accident and because of the safety and construction I am here to tell everyone how great and safe this auto is. Great in snow, ice packed roads, and on the highway. Roomy to travel with two Old English Sheepdogs. Good ride for an SUV, rides and handles much like a car. Overall great and would purchase another one when ready to buy a new car."

Best Vehicle I've had so far

By on Thursday, May 3, 2007

"I love my highlander. I bought it new at the end of 2004. It handles great, rides smooth. I love how it sits up high. The gas mileage is average for an SUV. I haven't had any problems out of it. I have just been changing the oil regularly and balancing and rotating the tires. I love how the light comes on to remind me it's time to change the oil. A light also comes on when any of my tires are low on air. I also love that I only have to change the oil every 5000 miles. I love the Toyota brands. We have 3 toyotas in the family."

Best vehicle ever

By on Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Pros: "Maintenance free"

"I purchased this SUV new. In the 10 years I have owned it, other than routine maintenence and tires, it has never ever had anything go wrong with it. I have never owned a vehicle as reliable and trouble free as this Toyota."

Outstanding Vehicle

By on Saturday, August 17, 2013

Pros: "Reliability, paint, solid tight feel still (100k)"

Cons: "Steel wheels"

"I just 100,000 miles on this vehicle. I've done gas and oil and Toyota maintenance at 50,000 miles. I had to have rear brake work twice. Otherwise - no issue. I love this car. Whether hauling tools and supplies, or my kayak on the roof rack or dressing up for a wedding - this vehicle is excellent. What's really amazing is the silver paint. I didn't have a garage for the first 6 years. It sat out all year long - Wisconsin winters. Never had an issue starting. I have the 4cylinder, 2WD model."

Great SUV

By on Sunday, January 6, 2013

Pros: "very reliable, safe, rides well"

"I have owned this vehicle since 2008 and bought it with 40K miles on it. I have not had one unexpected repair - just routine upkeep required. I have the 4WD model which is very secure in bad weather with all weather tires. It rides very nicely and still feels almost like new."

great liable car to transport my labrador in

By on Friday, September 7, 2012

Pros: "like the backdoor heighth for groceries and dog."

"Highlander is dependable and meets all my needs. Groceries and dog at a good level;no bending over to get to groceries and dog uses an added ramp to enter and exit. Only negative is the black carrier pieces (attached to the top - it is necessary to have the front windows cracked a little when back side windows are open or a thumping (wind) sound exists."

Sorry but my Dodge and GMC minivans were better...

By on Sunday, March 9, 2008

"My guess is that the better gas mileage comes from lightweight body that easily picks up dents and scratches in the local parking lots. Not sure I'm getting good service at the local Toyota dealer... The "Oil Sludging" problem I had last summer is back again. I think Toyota was hoping that I would get past the 100K mark before the head drain holes plugged-up again Weather has been rough, but The Toyota Computer doesn't like the winter this year. I have had lights for ABS and AIRBAGS intermittantly appearing all winter... Mostly they go away when the vehicle warms up for a while. This is the most repairs on any vehicle I have ever owned for only 56K miles. (Bought it used with 34k miles on it). At least the VSC / anti-skid is not obnoxious when it's broken...(most of the winter) It used to warn me I was skidding and slipping by "beep-beeping" at me long after I corrected for it. Why would anyone want to know that the cruise-control is turned ON, even when you're not using it? After 30 years I bought another Toyota. How can it be that they still don't know how to make a good radio?"

Great gas mileage

By on Thursday, January 3, 2008

"Got the 2002 highlander 4 cyclinder 2.4L. FWD. It is the best ever. About 25 miles to gallon. Roomy, to fit any wood projects with fold down seats. Comfortable ride, smooth NOT bouncy like the other trucks. Handles like a cadillac."

I LOVE THIS CAR

By on Saturday, July 5, 2014

Pros: "Visibility, fantastic handling, spacious"

Cons: "MPH is lower than I would like"

"This car has been fantastic. It handles amazingly in rainy and snowy conditions. My little 4 cylinder towed a U-Haul across the country no problem. Great visibility from the driver's seat, with minimal blind spots. Very spacious, and works fantastic for a car full of people or a car loaded with sports gear. Only thing I would change is mileage - I would prefer something with a little better. I get about 18 mpg city and 21 mpg highway. Overall, I hope to continue owning Highlanders my entire life."