2007 Toyota Highlander

Based on 869 Ratings for the 2001 - 2007 models.

Best vehicle I have ever owned. Very minor repairs

By on Monday, September 1, 2014

Pros: "great value, comfortable ride"

"This vehicle has required very minimal amount of repairs. I did replace timing belt and plugs at 165,000 miles and timing belt, water pump and plugs at 305,000 miles. Replaced left front wheel bearing at about 140,000 miles and right front wheel bearing at about 270,000 miles. Very solid and smooth ride even with 399,500 miles."

Great Value, Gas Saver, Fun to drive

By on Saturday, September 22, 2007

"We purchased a used 2001 Totyota Highlander 4 Cyl in February 2007. Not only does this vehicle get approx 25 miles a gallon, but the repair and maintenance costs are extremely low! We have taken the vehicle on several road trips and yet am I to put more than $200 into repairs on this vehicle. 105k miles and runs like a top. I reccommend this to anyone who wants a safe fun and affordable vehicle. They look clean and drive extemely well. With todays gas prices, there is not a better choice I have made this year! Go get one!"

Good vehicle

By on Wednesday, August 22, 2007

"Bought new in '02 for my wife. V6 2wd. No issues ever, pushing close to 85K miles to date. Replaced the tires at 57K miles and will do it again at around 115K. Brakes are original and have plenty of life left. Had a check engine light come on once which was generated by a vacuum hose that came off when checking the air cleaner. Popped the hose on and reset the light, no more light. I love the fact that I can reach the oil filter from the top and get a pan underneath without have to lift the car. I do my own maintenance and it is wasy to work on. I tow a utility trailer to Home Depot and to the compost station every weekend and have no issues with lack of power. It has plenty of headroom to get the kids in and out of their seats and the dogs are comfortable in the back. We average 22-23 mpg with normal dirving. Less when I drive, more when traveling on trips. Had the wife, 2 kids, grandma and a dog with us on a recent trip into the White Mountains as was towing a UHaul Sport trainer. Had no problem earning that speeding ticket in Tamworth, NH while passing slower cars going up hill. Managed 22 mpg on that trip with the car and trailer loaded up with AC on the whole time. We will buy another, if only for the 3rd row seat."

beware

By on Friday, August 24, 2007

"major transmission problems on AWD between 60-80k. toyota will not acknoledge..."

Near Excellent Vehicle

By on Saturday, June 23, 2012

Pros: "Excellent handling, control, comfort, reliability."

Cons: "Poor interior ventilation system."

"The 2006 Highlander is not quite built to the top-notch quality I have had from previous Toyotas (4 pick-ups, 1 Camry wagon; still have the Camry wagon). The 2006 Highlander is still a near excellent vehicle. This Highlander is used to deliver mail as well as being the owner's primary vehicle. Handling and control are surprisingly good. Brakes are excellent but I would prefer not to have ABS. Visibility is very good to excellent. Seating comfort is excellent. All controls are easy to read and/or easy to adjust. Engine power and performance are adequate. Shiftable automatic transmission is excellent. Interior road noise with all windows up is pleasingly quiet. Access to the interior of the vehicle from outside is excellent at all locations. Vehicle is very easy to load and unload. Interior adjustments to the seats, cargo area, etcetera are all easy to make and fairly quick. Gas mileage is accurately rated by Toyota but I consider the gas mileage to be only fair and not good. The ventilation system is lacking. Air flow through the vehicle is not adequate. Air conditioner is not cold enough in part to the poor air flow through the vehicle. Heater and defroster are not adequate. Defroster especially is deficient. In cold conditions of less than 20 degrees Fahrenheit, one must often use defrost only and not supply heat to the floor. If driving with open windows at least two windows must be open. With only one window open, air causes any or all unused seat belts to flap. This flapping results in low level thumping that is physically painful to the ears. Multiple open windows solves the problem. Later model Highlanders, in this owner's opinion, are too crowded with options and have poorer visibility. The increase in options has reduced usable interior space and the lesser visibility is due to the vehicles being lowered."