2005 Toyota Highlander

Based on 865 Ratings for the 2001 - 2007 models.

The most trouble free car I have owned

By on Thursday, June 2, 2016

Pros: "Smooth, strong, quiet and trouble free"

Cons: "Could have used more power outlets in the back."

"I am a Toyota technician for the past 20+ years so I see it all. Lack of maintenance through kids abusing vehicles. This model 2003 Highlander V6 Limited, has almost no recalls and/or issues. I have 225,000 miles on mine and I have kept the maintenance up regularly. It has never left me on the side of the road or given me an ounce of trouble. Only things I have had to replace over time were the B1S1 and B2S1 (A/F oxygen sensors) and the temp control blend door servo. I haven't had to repeatedly replace them either. I would recommend this model to anyone looking for a midsize SUV with decent HP. I will say the allwheel drive models are heavier and you can feel it when driving them."

excellent investment

By on Friday, June 28, 2013

Pros: "great investment"

Cons: "better gas efficiency would be awesome"

"best car I have ever owned. if taken well care of, with proper maintenance, continues to run like near brand new off the dealers lot. body and interior has held up so well too. always reliable, only one "surprise" which was the "idle air adjustment valve" went at approx 280k miles. my mechanic believes I will easily get up to 400k on this car then we plan to put in a factory rebuilt engine when the day comes this one has had enough......this car is a great investment"

Very reliable, comfortable SUV.

By on Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Pros: "Great reliability, drives like a car not a SUV."

Cons: "No front cupholders."

"At 145,000 miles nothing has failed on this SUV. Regular maintenance has been done and it has never let me down. At 90,000 miles the struts were replaced and the cooling system renewed with Toyota long-life coolant, along with new radiator hoses."

Solid 9 out of 10 car but keep wishing for a 10

By on Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Pros: "Stylish, dependable, power, seats"

Cons: "No front cup holders, sways on winding roads"

"I have had this car since new - 2006, the Hybrid model, and have had very low cost maintenance thus far. The recalled inverter problem never surfaced, but was replaced by dealership at no charge but took most of the day until late afternoon to replace (I always drop car by 9am or so). It got great gas mileage when we lived in flat area of SF bay area, but now we live in hills so think that the hybrid feature is now not so effective, and our gas mileage has plummeted. I wore out the brakes at 100K as going down steep hills a lot, and B drive doesn't work to well on really steep declines. Got this car in silver, hardly never need to clean it...the silver keeps in looking clean. Cloth interior (gray) is comfortable, and I avoided leather since prefer cloth much more (less sticky, etc). The light gray carpet has stained though, and not sure from what since I don't allow food in car, only water bottles. I would never have a dark interior though as hate to have a roasting car in summer, and dark colors absorb heat. This SUV has great pick-up and power, and I can navigate the freeways with confidence. The seats are super comfortable with great lumbar support, etc. I got the AWD. So what have I not liked? 1) Dash - doesn't include any of the current technology for music (we don't use the radio or CD, only iPod or iPhone), so I have a triple outlet for usb to mp3 connections in the cigarette lighters. I had to get 6 foot adapters from the front to the back for kids iPods. I have my GPS on a bean bag on dash which I really like a lot. I'm grateful that I got the premium sound package, as the speakers are better than factory. 2) HVAC - no heat or air to the back seats so my kids are always complaining too hot, too cold. All the vents are in the front, so I have to take the blast for hot & cold first. 3) Storage - seriously lacking in back if all 7 seats are in use. No real cup holders in front for driver and passenger, but kids in back each get 3 cup holders on each side? This really really bugs me. 4) Handling - weebles, wobbles, but doesn't fall down (anyone remember that commercial?). Driving down hills at fast speeds is fun for me, but this SUV has a serious sway to it, and BMW sedans speed on by me in frustration to get around. I can't go any faster due to the height of the vehicle without enough width for handling. Think the new Highlander added a few inches in width to help with this challenge. 5) 3rd Row - no split to the 3rd row seat which would help a lot, and very cramped, but small kids love it, not needing their car seats in 3rd row - can't fit a booster back there anyway. Really can't think of anything else. Great car overall, and has needed very little maintenance. Take in every 5,000 miles and invoice usually just over $100. However, I did just this last week have the auto lock for driver's side stop working (must use key manually now until next service). That is why I came on this sight to see what else may start to go wrong. I am at about 110K miles. Cars I have owned in past: Ford Escort Wagon '89 (totaled by husband, no one hurt), VW bus '72 (carburetor problems), Acura Legend '96 (CV axel joints wore out - too heavy a car for axels), Volvo Diesel '79 (black smoker - terrifying entering freeway), Volvo gas engine, '83 (very boxy). Advice if purchase: Go to Costco for Michelin tires instead of the cheap Goodyear tires that Toyota service puts on. I kid you not - they last THREE times longer!"

best car ever had I'm 62yr old

By on Monday, May 23, 2016

Pros: "great for night problem driving"

Cons: "cassete tape is kinda out dated"

"Bought used at dealer in florida car had 113k miles and I paid $13k for it and may have found deal but I liked the car. Three 1/2 yr latter i'm putting my first money into it which is simply the car battery! It runs great,smooth ride, I LOVE all the window space to look out for other cars. Its great I can put my dogs in the back, or lots of groceries. I've even slept VERY COMFORTABLY with plenty of room in the back. It now has $126,400 miles which Kelly book says is above average. I hear the car can go 200k miles and i'm not selling until it starts costing too much $ to keep it- I LOVE IT gas mileage not so great but its a suv and its really not so bad avg 20mpg it now has 126,455 miles was 113k miles 3 1/2 yr ago"

Best Vehicle I Ever Owned

By on Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Pros: "Excellent for Family and Long Trips!"

Cons: "For a 2003 I wish it got better GAS MILEAGE!!!"

"Never gave me an once of trouble! In 12 years, replaced 2 Battery's. Drives and handles like a dream. You take care of it and it takes care of you. Maintenance only!!"

Average quality vehicle

By on Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Pros: "good driv., good design, saves gas"

Cons: "rigid drv seat, under avr. quality"

"I bought my Highlander (V6) on 2005. It has 80000 miles so far and looks in good shape. The driving has been good and smooth for 2 first years but I can hear a lot of noise on the freeway during the last years. I like its design and the inside features (leather) but the driver seat is a little rigid and narrow. I have been disappointed from the quality of the car compared with the price I paid to buy this car. The first 6 months the plastic insulation of the passenger door had a problem and the Toyota dealer fixed it. Although I have paid for the regular service (every 5000 miles) at my local dealers at 75000 miles the AC was out of service and the Toyota dealers asked for 1150$ to repair it (I repaired it for 700$ at Firestone. Additionally at the same mileage it has some problems with right rear strut, dealer asked 1360$ to replace both the right and the left strut. I repaired them again at a Firestone shop for 792$. Also the exterior paint looks no so resistant compared with this of the Chevy Malibu I have had before the highlander. I would say it is an average SUV and good for everyday driving but overpriced by the dealer."

Best car I have owned.

By on Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Pros: "great car as most toyotas"

Cons: "engine warning light."

"Only to shop for changing timing belt at 90,000 miles. The only issue is the check engine light which relates to the environmental control systems."

Would like to give high remarks but...

By on Monday, May 26, 2008

"As the title states I'd like to give my Highlander high marks. First the bad: Toyota had to replace two engines (due to gelling) for this vehicle. This vehicle was well maintained and oil changes were regular. At 80k the transmission was checked, which checked out fine and then I switched to synthetic oil on the recommendation of my mechanic. Toyota made good on the engine changes but still I can't help but feel that this particular Highlander should have considered a lemon. The good: Kept me and my family safe through two (NOT major but definitely not minor either) car collisions. Very reasonable gas milage for it's size, I hovered around 19.7 MPG on average for city and highway combined. Had an impressive interior and I other then the engine failures I enjoyed this car very much."

Vehicle not for everyone

By on Saturday, October 20, 2007

"Our 2006 Highlander is OK for smaller beople. I think the vehicle lacks power (V6) and hesitates during acceleration. The automatic 4WD Traction Control will get you stuck if all 4 wheels are lacking traction (the brakes will apply to the wheel that is spinning, if all 4 wheels are spinning, ice/sand, you will be stranded. The comfort is not good for long trips, but for short commutes it's OK. Yeah, it has a 3rd row seat, but it's only useful if you are 4 ft tall. gas mileage is good and quality is typical Toyota (very good). I wouls say it's not for everyone but a good vehicle none the less."