2004 Toyota Highlander

Based on 869 Ratings for the 2001 - 2007 models.

Best Vehicle I Ever Owned

By on Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Pros: "Excellent for Family and Long Trips!"

Cons: "For a 2003 I wish it got better GAS MILEAGE!!!"

"Never gave me an once of trouble! In 12 years, replaced 2 Battery's. Drives and handles like a dream. You take care of it and it takes care of you. Maintenance only!!"

Average quality vehicle

By on Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Pros: "good driv., good design, saves gas"

Cons: "rigid drv seat, under avr. quality"

"I bought my Highlander (V6) on 2005. It has 80000 miles so far and looks in good shape. The driving has been good and smooth for 2 first years but I can hear a lot of noise on the freeway during the last years. I like its design and the inside features (leather) but the driver seat is a little rigid and narrow. I have been disappointed from the quality of the car compared with the price I paid to buy this car. The first 6 months the plastic insulation of the passenger door had a problem and the Toyota dealer fixed it. Although I have paid for the regular service (every 5000 miles) at my local dealers at 75000 miles the AC was out of service and the Toyota dealers asked for 1150$ to repair it (I repaired it for 700$ at Firestone. Additionally at the same mileage it has some problems with right rear strut, dealer asked 1360$ to replace both the right and the left strut. I repaired them again at a Firestone shop for 792$. Also the exterior paint looks no so resistant compared with this of the Chevy Malibu I have had before the highlander. I would say it is an average SUV and good for everyday driving but overpriced by the dealer."

Best car I have owned.

By on Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Pros: "great car as most toyotas"

Cons: "engine warning light."

"Only to shop for changing timing belt at 90,000 miles. The only issue is the check engine light which relates to the environmental control systems."

Would like to give high remarks but...

By on Monday, May 26, 2008

"As the title states I'd like to give my Highlander high marks. First the bad: Toyota had to replace two engines (due to gelling) for this vehicle. This vehicle was well maintained and oil changes were regular. At 80k the transmission was checked, which checked out fine and then I switched to synthetic oil on the recommendation of my mechanic. Toyota made good on the engine changes but still I can't help but feel that this particular Highlander should have considered a lemon. The good: Kept me and my family safe through two (NOT major but definitely not minor either) car collisions. Very reasonable gas milage for it's size, I hovered around 19.7 MPG on average for city and highway combined. Had an impressive interior and I other then the engine failures I enjoyed this car very much."

Vehicle not for everyone

By on Saturday, October 20, 2007

"Our 2006 Highlander is OK for smaller beople. I think the vehicle lacks power (V6) and hesitates during acceleration. The automatic 4WD Traction Control will get you stuck if all 4 wheels are lacking traction (the brakes will apply to the wheel that is spinning, if all 4 wheels are spinning, ice/sand, you will be stranded. The comfort is not good for long trips, but for short commutes it's OK. Yeah, it has a 3rd row seat, but it's only useful if you are 4 ft tall. gas mileage is good and quality is typical Toyota (very good). I wouls say it's not for everyone but a good vehicle none the less."