2002 Toyota Highlander

Based on 865 Ratings for the 2001 - 2007 models.

Solid Toyota

By on Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive,"

Cons: "problem with headlight/running lights lens"

"Our family uses this vehicle daily for work and play. Change the oil and put on a new timing belt, water pump and hoses at 100,000 and you are good for another 100000. We are a Toyota family"

Great car , one of the best I have owned

By on Saturday, March 30, 2013

Pros: "Everything you want a car to be"

Cons: "I would like better gas mileage."

"I love this car. Equal to my 1992 Camray that I had for 15yrs that had 285,000 miles on it when I sold it. This car has over 205000 and I have no doubt that it will reach 300,000 and then some. With a set of studs for the winter it becomes a tank that can handle anything Idaho winters can throw at us. Great utility and dependable."

I can't believe that it has only been 10 years

By on Saturday, March 2, 2013

Pros: "Perfect"

Cons: "Haven't found anything except gas milage"

"This vehicle has been the first car I've driven and owned. I have never loved something so much and I can't believe that it has been only 10 years. It feels like just yesterday I was driving it off the lot, back when quality vehicles were populous. I love it and I would tell anyone if they could find one to buy it. It has started every day since we took it off the lot whether it was -20 or 110 outside. My family and I take it out to our camp which is extremely rural and it does awesome. The uni-body frame curves and moves to every bump to make it as there were none. I think I should've been pulled over a numerous amount of times considering that it rides SO smooth. I like to focus on the high points that it has mainly because I am an inquisitive person and I haven't found anything. This car is truly the best vehicle for all situations from a first time driver(because it's so easy to learn anything on) or a family with maybe 3 kids and 2 dogs. It was made for the long haul and I'm proud to say I own one."

Best vehicle I have owned

By on Saturday, December 8, 2012

Pros: "Great reliability and durability."

Cons: "Gas mileage is fair"

"We purchaesed the Highlander new in 2002 and opted for the V6, 4WD model. It has a "moon roof" and the driver's seat is a power seat with a separate lumbar control for support of the spine, in my opinion a nice feature. My wife has back issues and notices the difference whenever she is in a different vehicle. In terms of reliability and quality, the best vehicle I have owned. That is saying a lot since I tend to buy Toyota cars and have gotten 200,000 miles or more out of most I have owned The Highlander has had exactly one problem in the almost 13 years we have owned it. The control knob that controls the mixture of heat and cold coming into the cabin broke about three years ago It was about $700 to fix because it is electronic and not manual. Other than that, we have only needed to do normal maintenance. We have taken the Highlander on several long trips and it has been comfortable and reliable. I highly recommend getting the V6, especially if you want to do some towing. And of course, for towing, the towing package is best. The gas mileage is not great, but about where i figured it would be when we bought it. On trips we get 25 or so MPH, and around town about 20."

Incredibly Reliable!

By on Monday, December 3, 2012

Pros: "reliability, solid manufacture/assembly, gas milea"

Cons: "interior layout could be better, mud flaps"

"Bought this used with 19k miles in 2003(?). Most reliable machine I've ever owned! Great value, solid performance, easy handling. Only selling it now with 200k miles because I bought a 4x4 pickup. This would be a tremendous option for buyers on a budget, who don't want to become a mechanic's best customer!"

i love my toyota!!!!!

By on Monday, August 20, 2012

Pros: "reliability,comfort and power"

Cons: "room in the interior"

"I have owned many cars and truck loved some and hated others, But I can honestly say I love my truck. It handles like a car,pulls like a truck and has the speed and pep of a sports car.it lacks a bit in room with the third row seating in use other than that i love it."

I absolutely love this truck!

By on Saturday, August 11, 2012

Pros: "Great on fuel, reasonable to maintain, great buy"

Cons: "No 3rd row seating"

"I traded a Jeep Liberty for this vehicle. Although I liked the Liberty, I love the Highlander. It's great on fuel, has great storage space, reponds quick to accelaration, and is very dependable. I haven't had any issues with it in the 2 years that I've owned it. Maintenance is reasonable. The rear seats fold down for additional storage. I love the cargo cover that conceals any valuables in the back. I travel often and take lots of luggage with no difficulty. The Highlander holds its value well. Lots of cup holders. I can't say enough about the Highlander. I JUST LOVE THIS TRUCK!"

Excellant results on many trips.

By on Thursday, January 26, 2012

Pros: "Excellant utility and fun to drive. Very reliable"

"Good trip car, even on poor roads or mud or snow. Just the right size, not too big or too small. Good gas mileage in town or on highway."

Well worth the MSRP

By on Thursday, January 26, 2012

Pros: "Highly reliable, great power, great mid-size suv"

Cons: "Not your gas-sipping hybrid, but a powered hybrid"

"Our 2006 Highlander Hybrid continues to handle like a brand new vehicle at 167,000 miles. The vehicle has been serviced per the manufacturer's schedule and has never been less than dependable."

Dependable but not very comfortable

By on Monday, January 23, 2012

Pros: "Good view-feel safer sitting higher than most cars"

Cons: "Rides like a brick-harsh cramped ride-overpriced"

"Bought this car used in 2008 and put 55,000 on it in 3.5 years. Great transmission shift points=excellent pick-up and cruise at low RPM so engine should last well BEYOND 100,000 miles! Outstanding high-beam headlights provides excellent night illumination. Factory tires exceptionally-annoyingly-noisy! Much quieter w. Michelins. Comfort, well...it rides like a brick! VERY HARSH-ride...feel every crack in the highway. Definitely can't say it is any better mechanically than any other car I've owned, American or Japanese! Middle"

Best Vehicle I have ever owned

By on Saturday, December 3, 2011

"Great car, my favoite and I have a 2002 M/B CLK 430 convertible, but the Highlander is more comfortable on a long trip. When the time comes I will certainly by another Highlander, or maybe a 4-Runner."

Good reliable vehicle with low maintainence

By on Saturday, November 5, 2011

Pros: "Reliable and low maintainence"

"Own this vehicle for last 11 years. Love it. Only maintainence done is tires (2 times), exhaust recently after 10 years, and battery after 10 years. Other than regular service - had to get couple sensors replaced but I had extended warranty so the service was covered. Overall a good value."

Most reliable car ever owned

By on Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Pros: "reliable, roomy and comfortable, handles easily and has adequate power"

Cons: "no cons"

"I am the second owner having bought the car with 30,000 miles. It now has 152,000 miles. Didn't need plugs until 108,000 miles. Other than oil changes and standard brake pads I have done nothing to the vehicle. For a 2003 4wd vehicle it gets an average (city and road)of 21 mpg---not bad for a vehicle of this size. I have used it to haul and find it a great all around vehicle for personal use as well. It is extremely reliable and I would gladly recommend it to my Mother In Law if she wanted another vehicle!"

Would buy again in a heartbeat

By on Sunday, October 26, 2008

"I have had my highlander since November of 2002 and it has now been out of warranty for a year, and I'm not nervous at all. This is the most dependable vehicle I have ever owned. I used to buy a new car every 2/3 years but see no reason to replace my still perfect vehicle. Other than normal maintenance, I haven't had to spend any money on it (knock on wood). It's amazing what you find you can put into it, it doesn't look as though it will hold some things, but there is always a way. And the gas mileage is not breaking my wallet any more than a car would. It's comfortable to ride in and has great pick up and go. My only issue I had was the factory tires which I replaced in year 4. Other than that, I'm figuring this is happily ever after. I would recommend this vehicle to any and won't replace mine until it dies. And when it does, I sure hope they are still making them, because that's what I would replace it with."

Great vehicle

By on Sunday, April 6, 2008

"Purchased 2003 Limited about 3 years ago. Have put 75,000 miles on the vehicle, including several long cross country trips. It has never requried anything but routine maintenance. Comfortable ride. Very reliable."

2007 Highlander Hybrid 4wd

By on Monday, January 7, 2008

"One of the smoothest cars I have ever driven. It is also one of the most responsive suv,s I have driven. The Highlander at 268hp easily outperforms the 1999 Tahoe (250hp) it replaced. Average fuel mileage, climbing the 18% grades here, of 25mph is twice that of the Chevy. All this and 4wd, I'm one happy camper!"

Best SUV

By on Friday, January 4, 2008

"Wonderful gas mileage.. Toyota rocks.. 05 with 45K mi. and no problems what so ever.."

Best Car I've Ever Owned.

By on Monday, December 3, 2007

"Even after 134,000 miles, my Highlander Limited returns over 26 steady-state mpg while traveling at 75 mph on California's Interstate and Freeway system. Plenty of power for getting on the freeway, and plenty of power for passing. It's quiet, comfortable, and only on it's 2nd set of replacement tires since the originals wore out at 55,000 miles. The traction/skid control chip gave out at 110,000 miles, and I had minor problems with the A/C, but they were repaired satisfactorily, so I have no complaints whatsoever. Good, good car. Best new car I've ever owned."

More repairs than expected.

By on Thursday, November 29, 2007

"At 45,000 miles, just short of owning the car 4 years I had to put $1200 in repairs. I had to replace a engine sensor, the drive belt, and a complete brake job. I don't like the gearing of the 4 cylinder engine (its hard to accelerate smoothly, the car wants to jump forward). I replaced the tires after 3 years and about 34,000 miles. The original tires didn't get good traction. I get good gas millage around town (22 mpg when not running the AC or doing winter warm ups). The car is great at hauling and a comfortable car to travel in. I like the size."

Excellent, If Boring

By on Thursday, November 29, 2007

"In typical Toyota tradition, the Highlander is a practical, well-thought-out, impeccably assembled appliance which will neither offend nor excite anyone. It's substantially reliable, gets decent gas mileage given its heft and barn-door aerodynamics, and is great for your average suburban parent. That being said, it's boring as a toaster. I neither look forward to driving it nor avoid driving it, it's just there."

Favorite Purchase Ever

By on Thursday, October 25, 2007

"I researched vehicles for a year before buying my 2002 Highlander Limited. In the first 3 mo. after purchase, I put 10K miles on it driving back and forth to Denver. I was amazed at the smooth, comfortable ride and effortless handeling. Very cold AC and stereo system was amazing. Mileage was good even at 70 and 75 mph. about 80 plus miles more per tank than last SUV. It truely rides and performs like a luxury car. I would highly recommend this vehicle."

Best Car I have ever owned

By on Friday, October 12, 2007

"We purchased this car after coming back from living overseas. We were looking for a vehicle that wasn't a gas guzzler, but one that would also be able to comfortably seat my hubby and myself, our two girls and a friend for each of them. We have found that the Highlander (with the third row seat) fits the bill. We have been extremely happy with this purchase and would definitely consider getting another one. In three years our oldest will be driving and this car can go to her and I will get the newer model! Love it!"

WHAT A CAR!

By on Saturday, September 29, 2007

"My 2002 Highlander has been the most wonderful car that I've ever owned. At the time that I bought it I was looking at a Pathfinder also. I had not even heard of Highlanders at that time. The Highlander rode as smooth and comfortable as a nice car - can't say the same for the Pathfinder. I get the oil changed regularly and filters, keep good tires on it and have had ZERO problems in the 6 years I've had it. GREAT CAR!!!!!"

Classiest SUV

By on Friday, September 7, 2007

"Classy, roomy, sturdy good-looking suv. A bit noisy, (like a truck) but very reliable and comfortable."

Solid performer

By on Saturday, August 18, 2007

"Needs ability to turn off air vents independently. If air is on, everyones vents are on, which is annoying to sensitive people."