2002 Toyota Highlander

Based on 869 Ratings for the 2001 - 2007 models.

Great SUV

By on Sunday, January 6, 2013

Pros: "very reliable, safe, rides well"

"I have owned this vehicle since 2008 and bought it with 40K miles on it. I have not had one unexpected repair - just routine upkeep required. I have the 4WD model which is very secure in bad weather with all weather tires. It rides very nicely and still feels almost like new."

Hybrid highlander for 2006 is to be avoided

By on Saturday, December 3, 2011

Pros: "Great price, fun to drive, very comfortable smooth"

Cons: "Horrible reliability, high failure rate, poor qual"

"Not a typical Toyota. The 2006 Hybrid Highlander should be avoided due to severe quality and reliability issues. I have been lucky, the defects so far have all been covered by Toyota under warranty. We have had over $10,000 in warranty claims. We could never afford to own this car without the great Toyota warranty behind it"

Sorry but my Dodge and GMC minivans were better...

By on Sunday, March 9, 2008

"My guess is that the better gas mileage comes from lightweight body that easily picks up dents and scratches in the local parking lots. Not sure I'm getting good service at the local Toyota dealer... The "Oil Sludging" problem I had last summer is back again. I think Toyota was hoping that I would get past the 100K mark before the head drain holes plugged-up again Weather has been rough, but The Toyota Computer doesn't like the winter this year. I have had lights for ABS and AIRBAGS intermittantly appearing all winter... Mostly they go away when the vehicle warms up for a while. This is the most repairs on any vehicle I have ever owned for only 56K miles. (Bought it used with 34k miles on it). At least the VSC / anti-skid is not obnoxious when it's broken...(most of the winter) It used to warn me I was skidding and slipping by "beep-beeping" at me long after I corrected for it. Why would anyone want to know that the cruise-control is turned ON, even when you're not using it? After 30 years I bought another Toyota. How can it be that they still don't know how to make a good radio?"

Great gas mileage

By on Thursday, January 3, 2008

"Got the 2002 highlander 4 cyclinder 2.4L. FWD. It is the best ever. About 25 miles to gallon. Roomy, to fit any wood projects with fold down seats. Comfortable ride, smooth NOT bouncy like the other trucks. Handles like a cadillac."

2002 Highlander @ 225,000

By on Thursday, May 18, 2017

"This vehicle has been a wonderfully reliable SUV. I have the V6 Limited AWD and it has handled flawlessly in Wisconsin winters. I purchased it used at 72,000 miles in January of 2007. It had been well taken care of and through the last 10 years I have spent around 3500 for oxygen/02/mass air flow/knock sensors (all at different times) all due to check engine light issues. I believe that the replacement of the knock sensors was the real issue all along because after 7 years the check engine light finally went out for good when they were replaced. It is fairly comfortable to drive and I do a lot of driving. MPG is so-so averaging around 20 MPG in this 15th year of its life. I now use mid grade gasoline as there was a sluggishness on acceleration that has improved with the upgrade in octane. I would buy another!"

I LOVE THIS CAR

By on Saturday, July 5, 2014

Pros: "Visibility, fantastic handling, spacious"

Cons: "MPH is lower than I would like"

"This car has been fantastic. It handles amazingly in rainy and snowy conditions. My little 4 cylinder towed a U-Haul across the country no problem. Great visibility from the driver's seat, with minimal blind spots. Very spacious, and works fantastic for a car full of people or a car loaded with sports gear. Only thing I would change is mileage - I would prefer something with a little better. I get about 18 mpg city and 21 mpg highway. Overall, I hope to continue owning Highlanders my entire life."

13 years of great driving!

By on Wednesday, April 9, 2014

"After 13 years and 180,000 miles it's finally time to put my Highlander to pasture. It's been a great car with only minor issues - some minor rust on the roof and the leather driver's seat is cracked with age. Drives beautifully, nicely appointed (we got the Limited with all the bells and whistles), and pretty decent mileage. Solid construction - saved our lives when rear-ended on the highway a few years back. Great car - going to miss it!"

Next car will be another Highlander

By on Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Pros: "Overall economical vehicle to own"

Cons: "Interior temperature control"

"After driving Volkswagons for over 20 years, I chose the Hghlander for additional space. Best choice ever made!! I was concerned I would be unhappy with the handling after driving German made cars but the Highlander rides and handles amazingly well. The unexpected surprise was how minimal the maintenance has been. I drive 30-35,000 miles per year and have had no major engine repairs in 5 years. My only issue with this vehicle is the poor cabin temperature control - a minor issue."

Great car, 153 K almost no problems

By on Saturday, October 12, 2013

Pros: "reliable and still going strong, good body."

"Very reliable good friend. Only has an electrical problem in the right window which is a pain but not worth fixing. Very reliable still looks sharp, even in my hoity toidy neighborhood. Would like to keep for another two or three years!"

Great car

By on Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Pros: "Reliable"

Cons: "Seats could be more comfortable for long drives"

"Bought new in '02 V6 FWD. 115000 miles no problems ever, still going strong. Not the most comfortable for drives over 5 hours. Driver's side sunshade won't stay up all the way but that is pretty minor. Everything else works 100%."