1996 Toyota Corolla

Based on 450 Ratings for the 1993 - 1997 models.

Fantastic Commuter - VERY reliable car

By on Saturday, October 1, 2011

Pros: "Reliable, Great Gas Mileage, Comfortable ride"

Cons: "Not much passing power, nor the greatest "date" car"

"I am the third owner after my father-in-law and sister-in-law. I bought it at 100,000 miles over 2 years ago, and this car has been flawless. I've only had to do maintenance (went ahead at 120,000 service when I replaced timing belt, also had the garage replace the water pump and engine seals). Otherwise, I keep fresh oil in it, and it asks nothing of me other than a gallon of gas every 36 miles going 70mph to and from work daily. Not a sports car by any means, but this 1.8L (7afe) makes good torque for everyday driving. A/C is ice cold, and 4-speed auto shifts smoothly. A/C has never been serviced, and every 60k, flush and fill transmission. Terrific small car, and if you can find one in good condition, it will treat you right. While I only want another 50-60k out of it, I'm sure it has far more left in it."

Rock Solid!

By on Saturday, March 25, 2017

Pros: "Runs forever. 5sp has plenty of acceleration."

Cons: "Not a girl magnet."

"I brought the car to a local shop to have the timing belt changed at 200k just because I was doing a 500 mile a week commute for a few months and didnt want to risk getting stranded. The mechanic popped open the hood and said - Oh, you have the good one - This engine is rock solid and just keeps on going. He was referring to 1.6L and said engine type was rock solid and definitely preferred over the 1.8L. I make a point to only use ethanol free gas and get up to 38mpg highway. The car is over twenty years old and gets better gas mileage than most cars put out today - something wrong with that. I do try to keep it at 65mph or less just for the fact engine and transmission is not made for higher revs/speed. I have had to replace plastic inner door handles due to dry rot. Replaced door speakers due to dry rot. Gone through a few sets of tires. Usual stuff. This is a manual 5sp and has original clutch. I assume I have had brakes done but honestly dont remember doing so and not in last ten years (50k miles) anyway. Even battery currently in it is 10 years old and doing just fine. I suspect I didnt have to change timing belt. My parents wanted me in something more current with safer technology - side airbags and bigger I guess and offered me 25k so I could buy a Dodge Ram but I kept the Toyota 1.6L. If something goes catastrophically wrong on a new car I could be out 2k just for air conditioner replacement (oh and air works great and has never been touched) so I saw no reason to fix it if it was not broke. If something went wrong with current car I would probably search for a maintained Toyota 1.6L"

Loved this car

By on Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Reason: Wanted a SUV

Pros: "Excellent value"

Cons: "Smallish"

"My first car where every thing worked..no alternate switches or home repairs on the seat. It works..as expected. Good value safe ride. Perfect for a student driver. Solid."

i LOVE IT, GOOD ON GAS AND VERY GOOD TO MAINTANCE

By on Friday, September 21, 2012

"I LOVE THIS CAR, I HAVE IT FOR SEVERAL YEARS, IS VERY ECONOMIC, (36 MILES PER GALLON)I DON'T HAVE TO BE WORRIED ABOUT NEED OIL IF I CHANGE MY OIL EVERY 3000 MILES I DON'T HAVE TO CHECK THAT EVERY TIME AND WHEN I DO THE CHANGES THE OIL LOOKS STILL USABLE,ALWAYS START IN THE MORNING, VERY COMFORTABLE TO DRIVE SPECIALLY ON LONG TRIPS, COOL A/C AND VERY TRUST ABLE."

Great balance between style and economical

By on Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Pros: "Great gas mileage, reliability, style, and comfort"

Cons: "Slightly underpowered but fine for all driving."

Before I did some customizing, this is a great little car.

"I recently traded a large SUV with a gas guzzling engine for this Toyota Corolla. I commute over 80 miles a day for work. It runs smooth and drives great. It has amazing gas mileage, I pay about $50.00 a week in gas when I used to pay triple that. It has style, which I like in a car/truck, but it is also practical. I have two kids so the 4-door is great. I am a pretty big guy at 6'2" and 220 lbs, and I have room to spare in this Corolla. Toyota is known for it's long lasting and reliable vehicles, so I would absolutely recommend a Corolla to friends and family."

Before I did some customizing, this is a great little car.